Ancient River Bed?

oregonmp03

Oct 13, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
Detector(s) used
Fishers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What do you think? It's pretty deep and not where you would usually find one. IMG_0099.JPG

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All you can do is sample it!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ancient is a relative term. Even truly old river beds seldom have gold. It looks like what you have there may be a fanglomerate, an alluvial fan deposit.

If you go to the Oregon Geology map and use the information function after zooming into that area you should be able to tell the general size, content, age and type of deposit it is.

Heavy Pans

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What direction is it running? Everyday I drive by two beautiful cobbled river channels surrounded by basalt and 200' below the upper cap facing out into the east west canyon, they stick out lick a sore thumb. As Clay Diggins pointed out- no gold, just sittin there to tease ya, but still cool to look at.

OP
OP
O

oregonmp03

Oct 13, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
Detector(s) used
Fishers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is a road cut from a road that was cut up through a ravine. Not sure which way it flows. It's covered by about 7 feet of basalt rock on the very top from volcanic activity in the past. This is no place I would ever see a river and is about 5000 feet altitude. The upper portions are finer smaller rocks and sediment while the lower part has larger cobble.

Sampling will have to wait till next year as snow is down.

OP
OP
O

oregonmp03

Oct 13, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
Detector(s) used
Fishers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I did look it up and on the Oregon Geology Map and it says that it's all Qs and Qal Lacustiran and Fluvial SSedimentary Rocks and Alluvium Deposits under the Basalt

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool photo! I'm sure there is some sort of interesting specimens in there!

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ancient riverbeds are interesting to the prospector because they have never been mined but just because it's ancient does not mean it has gold. If its in gold country it's more promising but the only way to know is a riverbed, ancient or contemporary, has any gold is to test it.

I spotted a section of ancient river on tilted bedrock once. I happened to have about a dozen pans with me and a climbing rope so over the side I went collecting samples, mapping as I went. It took most the day to get it all down and pack it to the creek but I finally got everything panned out. All of the pans were barren except one which had almost a gram in it. I was totally pumped but my time was up and I had to leave. I revisited that hillside 3 more times over the next couple years and never could relocate that spot. Devise a way to mark your samples and locations, keep notes and use durable markers...I wish I had. :BangHead:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ancient riverbeds are interesting to the prospector because they have never been mined but just because it's ancient does not mean it has gold. If its in gold country it's more promising but the only way to know is a riverbed, ancient or contemporary, has any gold is to test it.

I spotted a section of ancient river on tilted bedrock once. I happened to have about a dozen pans with me and a climbing rope so over the side I went collecting samples, mapping as I went. It took most the day to get it all down and pack it to the creek but I finally got everything panned out. All of the pans were barren except one which had almost a gram in it. I was totally pumped but my time was up and I had to leave. I revisited that hillside 3 more times over the next couple years and never could relocate that spot. Devise a way to mark your samples and locations, keep notes and use durable markers...I wish I had. :BangHead:

That's what GPS is for........

OP
OP
O

oregonmp03

Oct 13, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
Detector(s) used
Fishers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know exactly where this is, I'll have to go back next year and do some panning

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's what GPS is for........

Yes, I know but taking a gps coordinate is difficult on a near vertical slope....and you have to remember to do it :icon_scratch:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's definitely not the normal ancient river channel that we see here as you can tell by the lava flow and color of the cobbles. We do have good Lava Cap Ancient Channel in different areas around here but the most common is located right along I80 in Gold Run, Ca for all to see. In the first few minutes of the video I describe the Blue Lead that we all look for that is shown in detail.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread