Advice please.Goldbug 2/panning etc

C99

Oct 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

As I plan my mission,I have hit a snag. I am going to the Highland Boundary Fault,Comrie,Scotland.To a big granite lump by a series of small waterfalls. My snag is that the granite is magnetic and I can't tune it out.Making my Goldbug2 a bit useless for the area. Iron discrimination/ground balancing of no use for this hot rock. Glad I found out now with a sample rather than all packed and enthused. Any help in overcoming this problem would be very much appreciated. There will be deposits by the granite I think.Where water used to flow. Not very helpful if my detector is constantly going off on one. Any ideas for emptying waterfalls welcome.

Thanks and good digging to you all

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not a prospector but know hot rocks. The Goldbug 2 no good around them and you'll need a Minelab with more freq. not more disc.

OP
OP
C

C99

Oct 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Sandman. You confirmed my own thoughts that the Goldbug2 will not be workable and therefore dead weight.Pans and sluice it is then. I carry everything on my back so dead weight is really unwelcome.
I have a rather huge collection of hot rocks myself. The few I have with gold in them all sound different to eachother.
Cheers Sandman. I will research the machines you suggested.Peace

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have you physically tried the GB2 in the area? I have some serious mineralization in my area. About 50% of most of the rock is iron, and although noisy, it is still possible to detect targets as well as gold, even with a GB. You might have to turn down sensitivity some, and just learn the difference between the sound of the hot rocks and real targets, but it can be done. Is the entire area made up of this magnetic granite? Here that stuff is all over the place, but that is not the only type rock found. Also having a Minelab PI around heavily mineralized magnetic bedrock won't necessarily help much. They will still sound off on most of that type of rock. However on either detector a target sounds different than the noisy rock. Dennis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread