goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
We used to do something similar in the Army. We'd hang onto a large C-ration can, poke some vent hole in the side then fill it up about half way with sand/dirt and then add some diesel. Light it up and within a couple of minutes you have hot C-rations instead of having to eat all that congealed grease that was always on top. I guess I'm dating myself here. They've been on MREs (meals rejected by EVERYBODY) for some time now.....

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Viper Vac, Tesoro Vaquero
and a 30 year old Radio Shack Detector :)
Primary Interest:
Other
I've watched many how to's on alcohol stoves and that is one of the best...... I will remember it
Thanks

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We used to do something similar in the Army. We'd hang onto a large C-ration can, poke some vent hole in the side then fill it up about half way with sand/dirt and then add some diesel. Light it up and within a couple of minutes you have hot C-rations instead of having to eat all that congealed grease that was always on top. I guess I'm dating myself here. They've been on MREs (meals rejected by EVERYBODY) for some time now.....
I always just threw my C-rat cans on the manifold of a jeep, generator, or a dusenhalf. :laughing7:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That works too but it's a lot slower. Since this is a family site I won't say what we used the manifolds of our TOW gun jeeps for in Korea. Back in the 70s they were growing a lot more than just rice in some of those fields. :tongue3:

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Viper Vac, Tesoro Vaquero
and a 30 year old Radio Shack Detector :)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang..... your only about 1/4 mile from the border. You could probably spark up that Manifold again and relive old times LOL :)
I'm about 20 miles north of Phoenix

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for sharing, that's a pretty cool little recycling mod. :)

I suppose you could get those giant fosters cans and make a large on out of that, grab a 24oz Monster Can and make one from that, grab a regular 12oz soda can and make one from that and then grab a red bull can and make one from that.
Then all of them MAY or MAY NOT fit inside the Giant Fosters can. :D
There are those huge Keg like cans too!

btw, a P38 can opener takes the top off soda cans perfectly.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hard to beat the ol P-38 openers! Small. light, quick and they fit on your keyring! Getting harder to find the real ones now since they went to Meals Rejected by Everybody and got rid of the "C" rats. I'm down to two only left and I protect those with my life!

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for sharing, that's a pretty cool little recycling mod. :)

I suppose you could get those giant fosters cans and make a large on out of that, grab a 24oz Monster Can and make one from that, grab a regular 12oz soda can and make one from that and then grab a red bull can and make one from that.
Then all of them MAY or MAY NOT fit inside the Giant Fosters can. :D
There are those huge Keg like cans too!

btw, a P38 can opener takes the top off soda cans perfectly.
Don't think I haven't thought about it. :laughing7:

natty daddy.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure some old prospector years ago would have found that info handy after he lost the one I found at an old mine camp.

Attachments

• camp stove.jpg
    camp stove.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 77

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GoldenIrishman I had been looking for a P38 for a long time too when I stumbled upon mine at a Garage Sale.
I did a bundle buy junk box and have about .05 cents into it. :)
I used it when I got home, I started cutting everything up with a lid that I could. lol

Dang Jeff, that's a BIG CAN but I think the fosters are a little wider. :)
I don't drink so I am just going by what I can remember the can sizes were on TV. ha!

Cool find there Tamrock. :)

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Oh yea ,I remember c-rats/MREs/and lurp(long range recon patrols) rations now!! had them all and you had to bring them back up! haha the lurp rations were the best of them! BURP!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah Russ... There were time I had to survive on LRRP rations for weeks at a time. Just don't eat the chili dry and then down a 1/2 canteens worth of water! We had one guy do that and ended up with "projectile vomiting". It pretty much exploded in his gut. If I remember right the LRRP rations were just repackaged backpackers freeze dried meals from Mountain House. Of course you know that the grubberment paid about 5X what they should have for them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread