ForumRunner_20141201_100952.png
    126.6 KB · Views: 177
Upvote 0

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Keep it up SoHR. Maybe this next season we can dig together Often

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Raptor Highbanker, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher F70, Bazooka 36" Sniper, Gold Cube, Gold Vac Pac, Pans & Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice keep it up!

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Jeff! Can you tell me what the average level in feet is for the river during the summer months so i can gauge the gain/ drop in river levels?

CDEC is a very useful tool.. Though without a visual reference I suspect you are playing a guessing game.. I suggest you make at trip to the river and look and then compare that days flows on CDEC.. Also CDEC allows you to look up past records I think back till mid 90,s Anyway I uasually do my comparison's as far back as 2001.. Anyway I suspect what people get out of thus information is dependent on the prospector.. Anyway take a look at the end of 2012 had some flows that year..
On another note...
"Every dog has your day"
I suspect your day is still coming..

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can not get to the link right now so you will have to look it up.

www. dreamflows. com

When you get to the homepage click on the realtime flows link. Then scroll til you get to western slope northern. The NF is listed as Inflow Lake Clementine. It's the closest measure you will get. Went from 70 cfs to 7000 last night. If you get there this weekend check the slate bedrock as the water probably stranded some small pieces. Thanks to Herb who originally posted dream flows.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
graph

Here is the NFAR at this moment from early October 2014. The site is USGS real time water flow data, it gives you a map of the USA, click on the state of interest, that single map will come up with hot data points, click California and the circle for the one for 11427000 NF American R at North Fork Dam CA and just start searching their historical data base. The 20,000 and 30,000 cfs values really stand out! I've been in the canyon in Feb 1963 with boulders bouncing on the river bottom, wall to wall milk chocolate brown water just ripping down river with 3'+ diameter trees floating past at a good clip. That was my first time in the canyon and I was hooked for life.

For the North Fork when the water is above 250 cfs a strong swimmer can not swim up river against the current and just crossing the river at that number is touchy. At about 150 cfs it becomes easy to do most anything you need to do but you should start filtering your drinking water if you take it from the river. At less than 100 cfs the algae really starts to grow but even at low flow levels the water temperature is still 54 F and that would be in July through August when it is hot in there. Be careful in there!......................63bkpkr

Last edited:
OP
OP
SchoolOfHardRocks

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
graph

Here is the NFAR at this moment from early October 2014. The site is USGS real time water flow data, it gives you a map of the USA, click on the state of interest, that single map will come up with hot data points, click California and the circle for the one for 11427000 NF American R at North Fork Dam CA and just start searching their historical data base. The 20,000 and 30,000 cfs values really stand out! I've been in the canyon in Feb 1963 with boulders bouncing on the river bottom, wall to wall milk chocolate brown water just ripping down river with 3'+ diameter trees floating past at a good clip. That was my first time in the canyon and I was hooked for life.

For the North Fork when the water is above 250 cfs a strong swimmer can not swim up river against the current and just crossing the river at that number is touchy. At about 150 cfs it becomes easy to do most anything you need to do but you should start filtering your drinking water if you take it from the river. At less than 100 cfs the algae really starts to grow but even at low flow levels the water temperature is still 54 F and that would be in July through August when it is hot in there. Be careful in there!......................63bkpkr

Thanks 63bkpkr! I assume it will still be high through the weekend so I'll leave the sluice at home and beat the hell outta some bedrock!! Heavy pans everyone, stay safe too!

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Find some Big Pieces SoHR!! :)
I bet you will do Amazingly.

Heavy Pans my friend.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Its down to 1270cfs now and dropping 45cfs per hour. Was 7000 the other night so maybe a little movement. Good luck crevicing.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out Saturday with Wes-of-Moba to the NF above Mineral Bar. Water was clearing up but angry and surging. Wes got a picker under the end of a suspended boulder in a small pocket that held about a cup of material. I got some specks.

IMG_20141206_213236.jpg

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There was no mercury on the picker. Are you talking about the claim owner of the Eileen claim? The picker was taken above that claim which starts at the mineral bridge and goes upstream. As to old mining activity on the NF upstream of the mineral bar bridge there were enough companies and miners to fill multiple shelves with books about the area. Here is one with some info,

https://books.google.com/books?id=4...ional mining report of Placer county&f=false

hey_ad_man

Mar 23, 2015
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For the second time ever, I finally found gold! After hours of sniping and no luck, I tried crevicing. 20 minutes of working one spot and BOOM! Haha Yeah, I was excited. Then it started raining, so that was all the time I had. image.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread