ARHHHH! I HATE BEING SICK!!!! How many of you are stuck at home like me?

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am so sick of being SICK!
It feels like its been months since I first started getting sick, WTF!
If its not one thing then its another! Cold, Flu, Head Cold, 24hr flu, Cold and now Hand Foot and Mouth disease.... Lets not forget that all of a sudden out of nowhere I am having bad allergies too.... ARHHhhhHHHHAHAHAHHhhhhh.

I am currently suffering through HFM virus with itchy, weepy blisters on my hands, feet, scalp and an insanely sore throat. Luckily the fever and chills were only the first day.

Wow, just my luck too since apparently it is very rare that adults show symptoms of HFM.

bleh, I hate being sick.

I want to metal detect so badly and run my sluice but I have been stuck inside forever now. :(
How many of you guys have been curbed due to being sick?

For you guys that aren't sick, what do you do to keep from getting sick?

I have 3 young girls so its hard not to catch what they bring home.

-Eric-

Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Well I don't get the flu or colds BUT I have been staying home because of a bad back for almost 3 years now! and im sick of sitting home while my dredges sit out in my trailer! this summer im going to TRY to rectify that and try to get out and dredge. if that don't work, (regrettably)all of my equipment will be sold or disposed of!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep... kids in school are basically germ incubators and superchargers....I take airborne and zicam as soon as I feel even a little off. I have to ask though how the he!! did you get foot and mouth disease?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about your "Hoof an Mouth," :laughing7: Things will get better.

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
Hope you feel better from all those "diseases" sounds like you got it terribly bad. Hope you feel better soon so you can go out again. Get lots of rest.

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A little over a week ago, the small of my back sent me a little message. NP I think, it hasn't bothered me in years...I'll power on thru it like I always do. Unfortunately, the "more power" I applied, the worse it got (T day was THE worst and my mom and wife had back problems as well...pretty grumpy day but fed the pain and drank the pain reliever). Finally had to go old school and sit, stand, stretch, walk, repeat. Yesterday was pain free...FINALLY. S***! I have panning of good cons do to...but that was when it all started so maybe today, a little panning. Sucks getting old(er).

btw...when I moved here I got sick all the time. A type of stomach flu mostly...yech. I started to use a hand sanitizer EVERY time I came in contact with other people. Agreed, a little OCD, but I haven't been "sick" since.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear you're feeling so rotten Eric. I'm one of those "lucky" people that just don't get sick to often but when I do it's baaadddd! I'm more prone to injuries than sickness. I did run into some bug (insect type) out here that bit me and I had a bad reaction to it. I ended up with weeping sores all over my body and it itched like :censored:!!. I hope that having had a reaction like that to it once will keep me from reacting like that should I get bit again, but I'm not going to test that if I can help it!.

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was able to sleep better last night but the bumps are spreading. I even started taking 10mg x3/day of Prednisone to try to reduce the blisters and swelling but that hasn't shown to be of much use.
The skin on hands is tight and blistered, looks like I got poison oak and heat rash at the same time.
Then I am one of the 5-10%ers who get it other places than just hands, feed and mouth....

But at least from an overall feeling, I don't feel as horrible today, I think the tide is finally changing on this one.

Well I don't get the flu or colds BUT I have been staying home because of a bad back for almost 3 years now! and im sick of sitting home while my dredges sit out in my trailer! this summer im going to TRY to rectify that and try to get out and dredge. if that don't work, (regrettably)all of my equipment will be sold or disposed of!

Back pain is only next to tooth pain for me, I am sorry to hear that you are going through that. :(
Mine is weight related (Gotta PROSPECT MORE!) and I can usually make the most of it go away with 4-6 ibuprofen.
Now I don't smoke, drink or anything like that (Never have, never will) but I have friends out here in Kali that use Medical MJ extracts high in CBC's and low to non existent levels of THC that work wonders for their sore backs. Of course it doesn't fix the problem, but as a natural and non liver killing medicine with no psychoactive effects, its been great for them. 2016 is when it comes up for legalization in Missouri.

Yep... kids in school are basically germ incubators and superchargers....I take airborne and zicam as soon as I feel even a little off. I have to ask though how the he!! did you get foot and mouth disease?

AYUP! I have never been so sick in my life as I have been when I had kids at school age! lol
I will try the airborne and zicam treatments next time.

Sorry to hear about your "Hoof an Mouth," :laughing7: Things will get better.

lol, my hands are on their way to becoming hoofs, lol.
For sure, luckily its a fairly short lived virus.

Hope you feel better from all those "diseases" sounds like you got it terribly bad. Hope you feel better soon so you can go out again. Get lots of rest.

Ayup, few adults show symptoms this, even fewer get it in the places that I have it. :(
Thanks for the best wishes, I want to go out so badly on Saturday because its the only decent day for 10 more days. :(

A little over a week ago, the small of my back sent me a little message. NP I think, it hasn't bothered me in years...I'll power on thru it like I always do. Unfortunately, the "more power" I applied, the worse it got (T day was THE worst and my mom and wife had back problems as well...pretty grumpy day but fed the pain and drank the pain reliever). Finally had to go old school and sit, stand, stretch, walk, repeat. Yesterday was pain free...FINALLY. S***! I have panning of good cons do to...but that was when it all started so maybe today, a little panning. Sucks getting old(er).

Yup, getting older sucks for some of us. I am 32 and havnt taken the best care of my body so I get back pain a lot thanks to being overweight. I just take my Ibuprofen and power through too.
Glad to hear that you got some relief though, panning always makes my back sore too, makes my skinny friends backs sore as well. When its warm I just sit in the water and pan, using the water to float the pan and take most of the weight off. Panning at home though, your always stooped over the tub and the pain can start up again.

btw...when I moved here I got sick all the time. A type of stomach flu mostly...yech. I started to use a hand sanitizer EVERY time I came in contact with other people. Agreed, a little OCD, but I haven't been "sick" since.:thumbsup:

Flu and cold have been my major illnesses this year, I guess I was due for something a little worse... lol

Sorry to hear you're feeling so rotten Eric. I'm one of those "lucky" people that just don't get sick to often but when I do it's baaadddd! I'm more prone to injuries than sickness. I did run into some bug (insect type) out here that bit me and I had a bad reaction to it. I ended up with weeping sores all over my body and it itched like :censored:!!. I hope that having had a reaction like that to it once will keep me from reacting like that should I get bit again, but I'm not going to test that if I can help it!.

We have some gnarly mosquitos out here that cause huge lumps that weep, nasty little blood suckers.
Its become such a problem that the county sends out trucks driving by bodies of water and neighborhoods spraying this chemical mist in the air, supposedly to stop them, or to make US infertile or die sooner, dunno. lol

Before kids, I only got sick once or twice a winter and it usually was on the more severe side too.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I work at a University used to get sick at the start of every year and anytime they returned from holiday. Kids bringing in little bugs from all over the globe? Did the Airborne and Zycam, didn't seem to make a difference. Now at the slightest tinge of a cold or flu I mix up three of those EmergC packets in half a glass of water and slam it. Usually takes care of it right then, sometimes a repeat is necessary. The key is doing it the second you feel something coming on.

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
all I can say at this moment, is please keep care of Yourself.
Be well.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Neo...hang in there brother!

Yeah..I can certainly relate to the frustration of being stuck at
home watching endless re-runs of "How It's Made" while everyone
else is out having a good time...
bur2.gif~original

Be patient with yourself...you've got a lot of years left, and that
gold ain't going nowhere till you dig it up..:icon_thumright:

Can't tell you how many times I've gotten all my gear together,
dressed for the occasion, and then sat down and realized that,
like it or not, it just ain't gonna happen that day. Oh sure, I could
drive out to the river all right, but being able to walk around
and work is something else. Too dizzy, no air, and an out-of-shape
carcass as a result of the above.

My wife's a saint to put up with me...
moose.gif~original

I've finally given up on trying to mine any of the fine gold
in the local rivers..it just takes diggin' too many buckets of
material to get any decent amount of gold (like a whopping
1/10th gram).

You'll get well soon, and then you'll be right back out there
making holes and digging AU. Consider this a "vacation" that
was sorely needed (I know it ain't...but you could consider it
that way...lol).

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the kind words guys. :)

Mike, I am sorry to hear that you don't go out anymore after the finer stuff but that's when you need to get a bunch of us young *******s together and do all the hard work and you can get down to the fun work of actually recovering and playing with the gold. :)

I will try to see this as a vacation, but I am a single dad of 3 so its hard to do that. lol
My girls do like to go prospecting with me now though, as long as its not too much of a hike for them. :)

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
single Father of three. I look up to you, as many do

Be Well in your travels NT

OP
OP
NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you, I don't really know what to say.
I am just a man trying to do right in this world and enjoy the ride. :)

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Aren't we all..oh wait..
Many don't have souls - as such

:)

Again, props to YOU NT

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
Neo hope you feel better soon.
Im laid up right now also.
This year I was not able to get out much. Owner of the house we had been renting for 11 years died and his sister told us to get out. Spent many months trying to find a place to buy that we could afford. We bought a little townhouse in august. Finally got out on two weekends in October with two gold groups I belong to. Found a great spot and found some really good color. Same campground on both weekends. The second weekend I felt the muscle go in my groin. A nice big hernia. Went to the dr first week in November. Had surgery on Nov 17th for a DOUBLE hernia. Now in the middle of 5 weeks off work and not suppost to lift anything over 20 lbs. I have 2 full 5 gallon buckets of good cons sitting in my garage and I can't pan them out. Daytime tv sucks. I have a million "projects" that need doing in the new house.
Im going to try panning very small amounts next week hopefully. ( my wife told me that I had better not )
Sorry, I saw this post and the vent just came out.
P.S. my wife is a pre-school teacher. I know all to well about 5 year old germ magnets. Although, she seams to get sick more than I do.

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dadgum man ! You must have pissed off a witch or something . :laughing7:

Hope you heal up soon . :coffee2:

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
Not my best year that's for sure. But hay there is still 3 weeks left. Nothin else can go bad right.
Did i say that out loud.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread