I HOPE I GOT IT ALL...

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well as a prospector it pays to follow the gold!! Not an easy thing to do..
pay streak.jpg
Anyway the right side of the picture is the Upriver side.. The red indicates chunkie gold/and great cracks/.. the yellow is still pay but generally dust to flakes..
The top of the picture the red upriver that crack was pretty obvious as it was in a somewhat textbook spot.... The bedrock on that side of the river is distinctly different from the bedrock on the oppisate side..

in the beginning of the vid the area I shaded was the main pay crack. Very different from the oppisate side.

in this vid I am literaly standing on the red on the bottom of the picture upriver... just below the beginning of the pay.. This side was very different.. The bedrock is different and the cracks that paid all ran in the same direction of the river. the pay area was not very big maybe 15ft. the gold was chunky and lots and lots of dust.. Other then that that side of the river was very very poor. But in that one area the gold could be traced pretty high. And another interesting feature about this side an that little area was that it had spring that somewhat made a little waterfall that ran down the area.. Anyway this spot puts my imagination to the test.. Anyway for whatever reason this is the side my eyes are always looking up high..
Now back to the top side of the picture the yellow indicates lesser pay not really chunkie gold.. this side of the river had a pretty distinct "drag" of gold. I mean that gold was pretty much present in all pans to a degree no blanks.. But unlike the beginning of the pay area this drag was pretty much about the same level as average river flow.. Anyway this drag actually went on a little ways and pretty much ceased just before the Gravel Bar on the Downriver side.. As far as underwater was concerned the better pay tended to be more present on the lower side of the picture marked in red..
Anyway underwater paid best pay was most definitely on the upriver side of the bottom of the picture marked in read..
Now this is my record day.. Wouldn't ya know it my record day was here..

Anyway here I am standing on the bottom of the picture upriver marked in red.. A Dike cuts along the river here and that crack was pretty bad ass...
Well I suppose that this area in a nut shell.
Anyway for me this was one of my proudest areas but also my failure. I could have exploited this area much better if I would have been more diligent in my sampling.. Plus I should have been a little more versatile in my prospecting..

Anyway just figured I would ramble about this spot for a bit.. Coffee is wearing off.. maybe this be usefull to someone .

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lots of fun stuff in your sniping videos, especially your underwater sniping short film.

Nicely done, and thanks for taking the time to post your videos; they melt the winter blues away.

All the best,

Lanny

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Raptor Highbanker, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher F70, Bazooka 36" Sniper, Gold Cube, Gold Vac Pac, Pans & Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice post, what river is this?

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
That last video "Record day 14 gram gold 2" is literally like a dream. I hope one day I can find a spot like that w/ pickers & nuggets everywhere :treasurechest: I deeply regret not trying my hand at sniping while the water was warmer. Next year for sure! Thanks for sharing.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All we get are the last crumbs left from the plate of plenty of the real 49rs. Their mistakes are our salvation but man alive them chinamen were much better at leaving nothing-John

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I appreciate it.... I just wish I had a better mind to better explain stuff.. I figure if I had a more schooled education would help. Well then again maybe not in todays educational system.. Anyway Gentlemen there are different types of Bedrock but one type really stand out for me..
bedrock good.jpg
For me I judge bedrock on how hard it is and how it breaks..(pretty much how I identify bedrock) This type of bedrock is one of my favorites types for finding gold. This bedrock is extremely hard but I love it.. Unlike slate and other types of bedrock this bedrock seems to actually "pocket gold".. I find that other types of bedrock is much weaker and seems to lose gold.. I mean that often bedrock is fractured beyond what you see on the surface.. Nothing like finding a decent pay crack to find that it just fed into a matrix of other fractures in the bedrock. So anyway for me I prefer hard ass rock.. And truthfully my best cracks have been associated with this harder bedrock.. Also gentlemen I can not stress to you the size of the crack to the direction makes no difference.. I saw my brother break a crack that was thinner then paper and reveiled a solid wall of dust. 2 days he hammered at that little fracture 10grams of fly poop was his reward. Now with the picture above this is the main pay crack.. not only did it have a good distribution of gold thru out it, it also had places where gold was pocketed in a few places.. And these pockets are what made this spot so great..
I figure the best advice I can give anyone who wants to be a succsefull prospector is tell them to be just that. A prospector... Forget about all the tools and equipment.. Learn how to prospect.. Keep it simple. I learned with a pan spoon and screwdriver rock hammer. Today my prospecting kit is generally the same pan spoons 4lbs sledge and chisels.. I encourage you to spend more time looking/sampling then digging.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I appreciate it.... I just wish I had a better mind to better explain stuff.. I figure if I had a more schooled education would help. Well then again maybe not in todays educational system.. Anyway Gentlemen there are different types of Bedrock but one type really stand out for me..
View attachment 1088050
For me I judge bedrock on how hard it is and how it breaks..(pretty much how I identify bedrock) This type of bedrock is one of my favorites types for finding gold. This bedrock is extremely hard but I love it.. Unlike slate and other types of bedrock this bedrock seems to actually "pocket gold".. I find that other types of bedrock is much weaker and seems to lose gold.. I mean that often bedrock is fractured beyond what you see on the surface.. Nothing like finding a decent pay crack to find that it just fed into a matrix of other fractures in the bedrock. So anyway for me I prefer hard ass rock.. And truthfully my best cracks have been associated with this harder bedrock.. Also gentlemen I can not stress to you the size of the crack to the direction makes no difference.. I saw my brother break a crack that was thinner then paper and reveiled a solid wall of dust. 2 days he hammered at that little fracture 10grams of fly poop was his reward. Now with the picture above this is the main pay crack.. not only did it have a good distribution of gold thru out it, it also had places where gold was pocketed in a few places.. And these pockets are what made this spot so great..
I figure the best advice I can give anyone who wants to be a succsefull prospector is tell them to be just that. A prospector... Forget about all the tools and equipment.. Learn how to prospect.. Keep it simple. I learned with a pan spoon and screwdriver rock hammer. Today my prospecting kit is generally the same pan spoons 4lbs sledge and chisels.. I encourage you to spend more time looking/sampling then digging.

Great advice to the ones that want to truly learn!

All the best,

Lanny

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very nice video's MM, of course we all love the last video most. :D

Are you going to keep working the same area next year, move up or move down?

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very nice video's MM, of course we all love the last video most. :D

Are you going to keep working the same area next year, move up or move down?

I will play a little bit in that spot I'm sure.. But my area of focus has changed.. Manage to sample an area that showed more promise before weather killed me.. Plus I have worked that area off an on for about a year an half.. For the most part I figure I got the majority of the exploitable gold...

Anyway catch you you guys in a few weeks leaving here this morning.. Be of the grid for a bit..

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like fun, have a great trip. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread