Metal Detectorist Discovers Largest Gold Nugget Ever Found!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
225k.gif

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is a big nugget but it's nowhere close to the largest ever found.

Here is one found by Bernhard Otto Holtermann in 1872.

otto.jpg

That one weighed 630 pounds! :headbang:

I've seen a stope at the The United Verde Extension Mine that was over 40 foot tall and 14 foot wide - all was filled with a mass of gold.

The Canaã nugget, also known as the Pepita Canaa, was found on Sept 13, 1983 by miners at the Serra Pelada Mine in the State of Para, Brazil. Weighing 60.82 kilograms (136 lb), it is among the largest gold nuggets ever found, and is, today, the largest in existence. The main controversy regarding this nugget is that the excavation reports suggest that the existing nugget was originally part of a nugget weighing 5,291.09 ounces (330.693 lb) that broke during excavations. The Canaã nugget is displayed at the Banco Central Museum in Brazil along with the second and third largest nuggets remaining in existence, weighing respectively 1,506.2 ounces (94.14 lb) and 1,393.3 ounces (87.08 lb), which were also found at the Serra Pelada region.

The hand of faith is probably the largest known detected nugget in existence. I say probably because there are more big nuggets out there and not every person that finds one is a newbie that publically offers up a nugget like that for as little as one million Australian dollars. :laughing7:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just saw the joke on the video. :laughing7:

That nugget weighs just a little less than 73 pounds.

NOT 5,555 pounds! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:) haha it will grow. As a kid I saw a wall of gold in a mine that the owner leaves there to show everyone. You walk into the vein and it is gold with bits of quartz from floor to ceiling and about 19 feet high and then 6 feet wide before a break into quartz and then back into smaller pockets.

DSC00311 (2).jpg

57chevy

Oct 4, 2014
The West
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 D Looking to find enough to replace it.
Replaced it with a Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as we are showing off nuggets, this one may not be the biggest, but I wouldn't mind having it. If memory serves it is valued at 3.5 million.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Seen it many times in the State Minning Museum in Mariposa. I believe it is the larges remaining crystalline nugget left. Thieve strong armed the place a couple of two to three years ago. They did not get this piece, but got most everything else. And the Fricot nugget has not been seen since, and none of the stolen gold, has been recovered.

Famous Gold Nuggets

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

The video, of course, doesn't show a huge nugget at all. The lead in is just to trick people to watch the tiny speck of whatever is in the bottom of the pan. It may be a speck of gold. . . . Just a catchy title to run up the clicks.

All the best,

Lanny

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oakview-actually some of the gold on display was COPIES and real ones kept in the safe. The 100% story will never be told but the Fricot glorious monster was not stolen by some reports. John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions