Yukon Gold Prospecting Expedition-Equipment Help

dreamsofgold

Oct 9, 2006
Lancaster, PA
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a few years I have been gathering and accumulating equipment for a serious Yukon prospecting expedition (6 week initial budget) 2-3 man camping crew. I will be driving from south eastern PA up through to Dawson city, 3883 miles, 70+ hr drive time. From there we will make a quick 1 day stop in Alaska just to say we were there. After that we will head south back to the Yukon where I have several good locations in mind to start. The setting will vary from creek prospecting to higher altitude bench locating.

If I have it all together I will plan to leave sometime April 2015. Equipment I already have and questions below.

HAVE

Honda WH20X Pump, 134 gpm, 2" IN/OUT...??What are my dredging limitations & set-up recommendations with this pump?? First time dredger ;-)

Honda 5000 Gas Generator 110/220V

Honda 12V Gas Generator

Chevy Tahoe, (99) 5.7L, 4WD Auto, 3" lift, 18" Tires, GAS GUZZLER.. ??Thinking about a trade in for an older 6 cylinder, manual Jeep. Wrangler or Cherokee Sport??

Trailer 8x12

Powered Sluice, have materials to build whatever size I need. ?? High Banker ?? Limitations with aforementioned pump??

Tools, full set snap-on, welders, mig/tig/stick, plasma cutter, torches, electrical, massive hardware, nuts bolts, pipes fittings, bars, clamps, etc etc etc

10 HP Impact Mill Rock Crusher.. In case need to test any ores along the way :-)

Medical Emergency Supplies, ELT, Walkie Talkies, Back-Up Water Purification, 100 Watt Solar Charger

Firearms, 9mm Carbine Rifle, Mossburg .22 Model 152, Smith&Wesson 32 Cal Revolver.. ??Guess I should trade on of these for a 12 ga. Bear stopper huh?? :-)

Multiple Winches, steel cable, shackles, rope, pulleys, straps, tarps, spare 12V battery..

Gold Pans, Finishing Table, Orange Bowl Separator

Stihl Magnum 066 with brand new commercial 1/2 skip chain and roller bar ;-)

Falcon MD20 Gold Probe

Small 8x36" Low Volume Creek Sluice

Tent

Portable wood stove

Cast Iron Cook Set
Electric High Volume Pool Pump - Extra

Will/Hope To Have

Gas Money :BangHead:

Honda 500 up ATV 4x4

1 Man Gas Post Hole Auger

Towable Backhoe

Jeep Lifted w/lockers, Light Bar, Roof Top Tent

10x12 Canvas Shelter

Feedback Please..

Sluicy.jpg Pump.JPG DSC_0927.JPG DSC_0783.JPG Shiny.jpg FalconMD20.jpg

Upvote 0

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uh, yea on the trade in. Grizzly's can be a pain I would pick up at least a 44 mag pistol to carry at all times and a 45/70 Henry .45-70 Lever Action | Henry Repeating Arms
Then you are going to want shells for the 12 gauge because there are a lot of birds to eat there.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BGT Miner 48 inches.
Some Shovels.

Sounds like you are also going to haul a lot of extra stuff you may not need. Maybe just make a list of the possible parts and just take those so you aren't hauling stuff you definitely won't need. Like if everything uses 2 inch hose clamps don't take the 6 inch ones etc. But I know of the need of peace of mind... selah

Maybe take something along that is hard to find in Yukon. Do some research and find out what people there need, or sells for exorbitant prices, and take some with ya and undercut the local market.

Be careful taking firearms out of the country, you may not be able to bring em back! Also if you are fearing bears I'd recommend a high powered pistol S&W 357 mag or ^ Wheel gun preferred for reliability but be safe. If you're stuck with a shotgun get one that can shoot slugs.

Do you need a permit to dredge in Canada? Do you have to take a class or something?

More importantly, do you have a claim or are you going to try some "open ground"?

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like you need a big assed trailer????

57chevy

Oct 4, 2014
The West
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 D Looking to find enough to replace it.
Replaced it with a Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canada is very paranoid about guns. People have been stopped at the border and imprisoned for bringing a gun across the border. Just saying. Have you contacted anyone in Canada about this?

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds pretty awesome
I noticed you said you were a first time dredger. Now I have no experience dredging but I do know that different prospecting teqniques all have learning curve. And do you really want to be learning out there or getting gold.. I would stick with equipment that you are familiar with.. I would also keep the prospecting tools basic.. All to common for me to see people pack everything and never have a chance to use it..Or worse they are using it just to use it. Now if you have been to the area before and are aware of the limitaions of the area then pack accordingly.. But for me if I was headed to place I never prospected I would bring prospecting equipment not gold recovery equipment.. 6 weeks is not a lot of time to work/sample an area. you may get on the color real quick but it may take some time find too. I personaly think you have a better chance in succeeding in finding the gold if you kept it simple. Make no mistake its you that is finding the gold!!! not the equipment..
From all the stuff u got to the stuff you want(like towable backhoe) sounds like you aint prospecting but actualy mining...

Last edited:
OP
OP
dreamsofgold

dreamsofgold

Oct 9, 2006
Lancaster, PA
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canada is very paranoid about guns. People have been stopped at the border and imprisoned for bringing a gun across the border. Just saying. Have you contacted anyone in Canada about this?

I have a Canada non resident firearm declaration form to fill out prior to the trip.

OP
OP
dreamsofgold

dreamsofgold

Oct 9, 2006
Lancaster, PA
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BGT Miner 48 inches.
Some Shovels.

Sounds like you are also going to haul a lot of extra stuff you may not need. Maybe just make a list of the possible parts and just take those so you aren't hauling stuff you definitely won't need. Like if everything uses 2 inch hose clamps don't take the 6 inch ones etc. But I know of the need of peace of mind... selah

Maybe take something along that is hard to find in Yukon. Do some research and find out what people there need, or sells for exorbitant prices, and take some with ya and undercut the local market.

Be careful taking firearms out of the country, you may not be able to bring em back! Also if you are fearing bears I'd recommend a high powered pistol S&W 357 mag or ^ Wheel gun preferred for reliability but be safe. If you're stuck with a shotgun get one that can shoot slugs.

Do you need a permit to dredge in Canada? Do you have to take a class or something?

More importantly, do you have a claim or are you going to try some "open ground"?

Prospector70, I do not have a claim but I plan on staking one :-) I don't know of any permits needed to run a small 2" dredge in Yukon, however I have heard dredging has been outlawed in BC. I have the several hundred page rule and reg manual so I guess I haven't made it in that far to have all the answers just yet. As for the extra stuff I agree I will try and keep it simple. The welders and fabricating equipment will stay home for the prospecting trip but if I manage to find some good gold we will likely need it for round 2.

OP
OP
dreamsofgold

dreamsofgold

Oct 9, 2006
Lancaster, PA
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not go on this trip without my drywasher and my goldbug pro .
My sluices , and a big side arm .

Charlie, I have been interested in learning about the drywasher because this would be good for testing those higher altitude benches, unfortunately I know nothing about drywasher or even where to begin..

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last time I was there you couldn't have a pistol. Better off with a pump shotgun with an 18" slug barrel with sights. Best bet for bears and good for spruce chickens and rabbits too. As was said check BEFORE you go alot Alaska bound folks get to leave their firearms at thr boarder because they "didn't know" canadian laws are different from US. Have you thought of maybe bringing a 3" highbanker/dredge combo, with a Hydroforce dryland suction nozzle instead? Pretty much same equipment size as a 2" but will move twice the material. I'd also bring a different sluice, two for sure- one backpack and one production sluice, as well as a detector.

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I was you, I'd find a state here in the lower 48 that would best mimic the conditions you think you'll be prospecting in, and then concentrate my efforts on getting into a groove with the equipment you think you'll need for Alaska and get a feel for what will work and what won't. Sounds to me like you want to take a huge giant leap without first taking the baby steps. That's just me though... YMMV

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Quite an adventure you're planning....:icon_thumright:

April seems awful early in the year to be heading that far north.
Springtime generally brings the biggest snows, and it can still
get uber cold that time of year. Plan for it, and be sure you've
got clothing that matches the weather.

A decent vehicle would be the #1 issue on my list. You're going to
be driving over 3800 mi. each way, plus you need that same
vehicle to travel off-highway to your working area.

An older 6 cyl. Jeep might do fine in the field, but it'll beat ya
to death on the road. You also need enough motor in it to
pull that loaded trailer. Canada has some serious grades to
their mountain roads, and a long climb with a trailer will put
a lot of stress on an engine.

How much fuel can the Tahoe hold? Fuel could be an issue if you
are working far from town, or you get delayed by snow, etc. Carry
at least 2 spare tires (mounted), plus at least one full set of chains
(all 4 wheels). A spare battery (charged), spare hoses and belt(s),
and extra anti-freeze. I would bring several 5 gal. cans of gas along,
just in case of emergency.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lots of handgun ammo in Canada, but you won't be able to buy it at the corner store. Find a larger sporting goods store.

Plenty of handguns, but heavily restricted and regulated, way more regulated than in the USA.

You should check with Canadian Border Services on the feasibility of them letting you across the border with your handgun:Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) - Home

As for handguns, the only way you can pack one in the wilds or woods is if you qualify for a wilderness protection permit, one issued to prospectors and trappers. (Not sure exactly where the Yukon stands on that issue.) A permit like that requires lots of paper work and advance preparation working with government agencies that are notoriously slow. You've got a lot of research to do before you head up to the Klondike.

Dredging in the Yukon? I've called them in person, and they said it's not allowed. I'm sure there's people dredging illegally; there always are, but coming in the front door as I assume you are, you'd better give them a call and verify it. I checked last year and it was not something they encouraged me about in any way whatsoever. Bummer.

Lots of other ways to mine other than dredging though, so don't get too discouraged, but take the time to know before you go.

If you're dead set on dredging, why not apply for a permit and dredge in Alaska for a bit, then head to the Yukon?

April and May are often bears for weather that early in the year, as in the weather is sometimes no fun at all or in any way miner friendly. Start to make friends online with someone from the Yukon right now and get the inside track on when you can reasonably expect to start relying on the weather to be your ally instead of your enemy.

Lots of great, helpful people in Canada, and a proportional share of jerks and weirdos just as in the USA.

Gorgeous wide open country.

I've been to Alaska, North-Central British Columbia, but I've skipped the Yukon so far, but it's still on the bucket list. I mean, it's one of those incredible places where the magic of a world-class gold strike drove the world mad.

I've spoken at length with various people that mined in the Yukon that I met while mining, and they told me some incredible stories of the wonder of that mysterious land.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:
OP
OP
dreamsofgold

dreamsofgold

Oct 9, 2006
Lancaster, PA
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite an adventure you're planning....:icon_thumright:

How much fuel can the Tahoe hold? Fuel could be an issue if you
are working far from town, or you get delayed by snow, etc. Carry
at least 2 spare tires (mounted), plus at least one full set of chains
(all 4 wheels). A spare battery (charged), spare hoses and belt(s),
and extra anti-freeze. I would bring several 5 gal. cans of gas along,
just in case of emergency.

Dizzy, I really like the chains idea, this is the exactly why I posted because there would be little things I wasn't thinking of. Tire chains is one of them :-) The Tahoe tank is 30 Gal. She has plenty of power but highway mpg is 12 at best. It would cost me a small fortune to fuel it not to mention the GM 4l60e transmission is notoriously flawed. Those trans have overheating issues amongst other problems, so it would go against my gut feeling to try a journey like that in the big heavy. I can round my load down quit a bit. The above mentioned welders and all that is just what I have been putting together. If it all goes as planned (never does) lol I would like to find some descent paying ground, stake a claim, and get serious later.

I think with careful preparation, clutch upgrade, locking differentials, slight lift, good tires, winch and snorkel a Jeep would get it done. I know a lot of people do it in the Toyota but im just not personally familiar with working on them so i was going to stay with something I know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread