Upvote 0

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Study a topo map in the area you're interested in.
Check the elevation lines...they are at 40' intervals. The closer the lines are, the steeper the terrain.
When you see the elevation lines further apart, that's a gradual rise / fall in the terrain. When the lines are really far apart, there's your bench.
Follow the blue lines (water) and keep an eye on the elevation lines.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
There are also certain types of satellite shots that will show them. I'm still learning about them and where to get my hands on them. When I find out I'll pass the info along. I do know it's some kind of radar imaging.

I know that Georgia is different than S.California (I've escaped from both!) but in the San Diego foothills you could always tell where the old riverbeds were by the vegetation. if you stood up on a hill and looked around, you could see bands where the plants were different. Had to do with the packed cobbles and gravel. Using the same method MIGHT work in Georgia but it would be much harder to do.

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try finding geologic maps of your area of interest generally 7.5 minute quadrangles are best or geologic maps of the county. On these they will sometimes mark bench deposits as t1 or t2 and give a description of them. I've found that newer maps tend to show more detail.

Also another method I've started using is soil survey maps which can be found online or there is also a kml file that can be downloaded and overlayed in google earth. Once this is done you can click on the different soil areas and it will tell you their parent material. Ones that say alluvium are your best bet. Idk if they will all be bench deposits as u have not been able to go and test all the different areas that show up as potential bench deposits.

Best of luck to you and I hope this helps!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions