BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a list from Mindat of mineral deposits. You can select sub-localities further down the page. I hope someone can help you who is familiar with the area. -Luke

South Dakota, USA

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm planning a trip, anyone willing to tell me where I might find some nice black hills color or gems, I've been trying to figure out if sd has any gems in the hills.

I've also heard you can get a mining permit for $100, to run and dredge. Anyone had any luck with this?

Hi bottolfsonr,
I have been away from this forum for a while. Computer problems. Anyway I am the president of the only GPAA chapter in South Dakota. Our chapter meets in Deadwood monthly. There is alot of gold here and it is spread out over a large area with most being found in the Northern Hills and Central Hills. The GPAA has 4 claims presently with a 5th coming after January. As far as for jems there are a few but they are extreamely scarce. There are several kinds of minerals as the Hills. It's a geologist dream. Don't know where you heard a dredging permit can be had for 100 bucks. Dredging is not allowed in South Dakota without a small miners mechanized permit at a cost of $2,500 and a $5,000 bond, and the whole proccess can take up to a year to complete. Hope this helps.

Good Luck!!

BH Prospector

OP
OP
bottolfsonr

bottolfsonr

Sep 28, 2012
new richmond, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks b h prospector, I'm planning a trip for our chapter, GPAA chapter of the twin cities here in mn. Looking to find a nice camping spot where we can sluice and possibly metal detect. Know of a good location? Next spring we'd like to head out.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great to see a post from you BHP! Hope life is good :)

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi bottolfsonr,
There are two claims that off enough room for a group to camp. They are primitive with not even an outhouse. The Migg claim near Rochford SD has Rapid Creek running through it and runs all year. The Husker claim near Sturgis SD has Boulder Creek that runs through it from about April to end of May. This year we had a lot of snow and rain and it didn't dry up until the 6th of July. Very rare to have it flow that late. Also the new claim That I mentioned the GPAA will be getting here early next year will have plenty of camping room and has Slade Creek running through it and it flows all year. If you need any further assistance let me know. My contact info is on our GPAA web page in the chapters section of the GPAA website, or in the Gold Prospectors Magazine, or the Pick and Shovel paper under South Dakota.

Good Luck!!

BH Prospector

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread