Two Bucket method?

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I tried this out a few years back when it was first shown on Utube . I didn't find anything doing it! I must have already done a good job on these cons or there wasn't anything in it at all! The process sounds doable like using a bowl. BUT Ive got to make sure theres gold in it to see how it really works!

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
It works great! Especially for people like me who don't have the patience to pan or those who suck at panning or those who only pan. The method will quickly reduce a full pan down to a small cap of cons.

It's also good for arid locations where there is no water. You can quickly reduce a lot of material to bring home.

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Viper Vac, Tesoro Vaquero
and a 30 year old Radio Shack Detector :)
Primary Interest:
Other
Has anyone tried this before and does it work. It look like a pain in the###.

Now i need to give that a try..... I've never purchased 2" test caps/ plugs. What department in a hardware store would it be in.... Not even sure what they are or what they do?_____
Thanks for the Link,
Joe

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The test caps mentioned are a plumbing item :)

Looks like just as much time and effort as regular panning.

Last edited:

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
They are usually with the pvc pipe fittings

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the replies on the part. It's basically a Free "Try this Out" so what the heck. Why it caught my eye is because when my 4' above ground pool needed vacuuming which i hated to do i took a short boat oar and ran outside the pool to make a vortex...waited about 20 minutes for it to settle and everything would be in the center of the pool and easily vacuumed up.
This two bucket system would help me ,Living in an HOA home i have nowhere to dump the dirt from many pails.
Who knows, something to do :)

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
Well,
I went out today and made myself the two bucket system like the one in post #1. I must be doing something wrong because i put about 10 pieces of very small lead slivers etc into the top pail and didn't recover anything... Tried it three different times with the same results. I will give it another shot tomorrow but what a waste of 85 cents and a home depot bucket :)

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well,
I went out today and made myself the two bucket system like the one in post #1. I must be doing something wrong because i put about 10 pieces of very small lead slivers etc into the top pail and didn't recover anything... Tried it three different times with the same results. I will give it another shot tomorrow but what a waste of 85 cents and a home depot bucket :)

Every step in the prospecting journey is a learning right?

Pro tip: don't buy buckets at Home Depot or Lowes or Wawamart...they use a thinner plastic and the bottoms are prone to cracking. Instead ask about buckets at donut shops, delis, etc. the food grade buckets are 20% thicker which makes all the difference! They will likely be cheaper or free too 😄

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm using the 2" plug on the bottom like post #1 video suggested, but in that video he used 3" plugs and being i have one that size i will further cut out the hole and give that a try..... If nothing else i could make a water filter out of the bucket. LOL
I've been in walmart bakery dept and got about 5 of their buckets which are square 3 gallon looking white buckets for free.... I do like them

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spot on about good buckets Kevin :thumbsup: I prefer pickle buckets myself~ smell nice and you know theres been no oil in them.

shinjak

Greenie
Nov 8, 2012
Taylorsville, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a good concept, but I'm not sure of it's advantages over a pan. But it led me to this video which is pure genius:

I have been looking for ideas for a homemade pan/concentrator like the Pyramid pan or the Gold Hog pan. He has not posted a video of it in action, but I'm thinking it's a winner.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Well,

The 2 BM is for concentrating fine gold.
For the 2 BM to work you have to classify. If your pieces of lead are larger than 16 mesh they will not be in the test cap they will be on the outer edge of the bucket. Even I can pan 16 mesh gold. When you get into 100 to 200 mesh it's a whole lot harder and takes longer to pan. Many will lose 100 mesh and smaller gold when panning.

Use a hole saw to make the hole and file it smooth. If you cut it with a razor you will not have a tight fit. If a substantial amount of water gets past the cap due to a poor seal then fine gold will not go into the cap it will go under the cap and into the bottom bucket.

I have not tried a square bucket but I doubt that it would work nearly as well as a round bucket.

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a 2" diameter plastic cap off a mailing tube for mine. It has finger holds on each side of the inside of the cap for easy removal from the bucket.
The method works like a charm on the fine gold provided your cons are classified to 1/16 or smaller. :icon_thumleft:

*NOTE: Don't forget to add a little jet-dri into the water.

GG~

Last edited:

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
The 2 BM is for concentrating fine gold.
For the 2 BM to work you have to classify. If your pieces of lead are larger than 16 mesh they will not be in the test cap they will be on the outer edge of the bucket. Even I can pan 16 mesh gold. When you get into 100 to 200 mesh it's a whole lot harder and takes longer to pan. Many will lose 100 mesh and smaller gold when panning.
I'm glad you came back with this post as i was thinking about that..... I didn't classify any less than 1/4" and my lead was about the size of bird shot and actually some as big as 1/4" so i need to classify my dirt and lead sizes down and try again

Use a hole saw to make the hole and file it smooth. If you cut it with a razor you will not have a tight fit. If a substantial amount of water gets past the cap due to a poor seal then fine gold will not go into the cap it will go under the cap and into the bottom bucket.
I definitely used a hole saw and then a file and even sandpaper to get a perfect fit on the hole

I have not tried a square bucket but I doubt that it would work nearly as well as a round bucket.
I have no plans to try a square bucket..... I have to remember the 16 mesh size.....
With Xmas stuff going on it will be a while but when i do try again i will post back here Thanks

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread