winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to fill out “intent to hold” for a first year 60 acre claim in Oregon
I filed the Location with the county in April filed with BLM and paid the fees
in June, then filed small miners certificate at the end of August.
Its an association claim with my brother and cousin as the other signers.
I’m using the Stevens-Ness form 602 mining affidavit, it’s for labor or intent to hold
602 Mining Claim Affidavit - Stevens-Ness Law Publishing Co. - Portland, OR
My questions are, do I put all 3 owners down,
do all 3 have to sign and does it need to be notarized with all signing
in front of the notary? Assessment year 2014?

I’m thinking I just put my name and county recorder reference number of the location document
and write "first year intent to hold" somewhere on it and see if they will accept it?
I don’t know if the county will accept it without it being notarized
I read some where that BLM doesn’t care if its notarized.
Its like 75 miles to the court house I don’t want to do it wrong.

This is the Oregon BLM mining claim site, not much about “intent to hold”
Locating and Recording a Mining Claim/Site Oregon/Washington BLM

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
All I did for recorders office was affidavit of annual assessment with the statement written on it...This notice serves as my intent to hold. and dated.

KRIKITTS

Sep 19, 2014
STATE OF JEFFERSON
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Douglas county list's several "notice of intent to hold" forms that can be filed...

https://www.co.douglas.or.us/clerk/PDF/recording_fees.pdf

I remember reading somewhere you did have to file a notice of intent to hold on a newly discovered claim, or a claim that had been abandoned and reclaimed. I dont think you have to file notice of intent to hold if you bought a valid claim or are refiling an existing claim. The forms are much cheaper at the stationary store in Roseburg or the Stevens Ness store in Potland than they are ordering online.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is no need to use any form. It's a simple affidavit. Follow your state's laws for making an affidavit.

Include the name of the claims and their ORMC numbers. It's a good idea to include TRS. State that you intend to hold the claim. Give the reason why you are recording an intent to hold (First year small miners). Have each claimant sign (unless you have an agent on the claim) notarize as required by your state law (not all states require a notary).

You have until December 30 to get the intent to hold date stamped at the BLM state office. There is no grace period, mail time or do overs. If it's not on the front desk and date stamped by the 30th (not the 31st) your claim is void.

The trigger for an intent to hold is usually the first year of your small miners status. It doesn't matter if you already owned the claim or if it's a new claim.

There are other reasons to record an intent to hold. If you are unable to access the claim, or if you are in the patent process an intent to hold will suffice as an annual record at both the Recorder's office and the BLM.

Heavy pans

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ummm.....I thought you only had 30 days to file the location with the BLM after you filed with the county

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Location notice filed with BLM within 90 days of monumenting is the law.
Oregon does have it's own time limits on location (60 days to record) but that doesn't affect the BLM limits for claim location.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
winners58

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for all the replys just going to meet up and have all the signers notarized
looks like the only filing that dosen't have to be notarized is claim location.

MrWareWolf

Aug 22, 2014
N. Utah, USA
Detector(s) used
Generic 30" keene/jobe/royal-style sluice with flare, riffles, expanded metal, moss matt under riffles..
California Bucket Sluice concentrator
want: falcon pinpoint detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thanks for all the replys just going to meet up and have all the signers notarized
looks like the only filing that dosen't have to be notarized is claim location.

Total newb here.. How much does it typically cost to file a claim? Just curious..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions