Jeff’s Rubber Mat Miller Table

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff95531 contacted me in regards with some questions in regards to the Miller Table and some links on eBay. My reply was don’t buy and let me build you a rubber mat Miller Table. I told Jeff that the table does not need to be very wide or very long. With that said I will build Jeff a copy of my Miller Table but on a slightly smaller scale. Jeff will be in charge of gathering a tub and a means of securing the Miller Table where he can adjust the angle and side to side to get the water flowing evenly. (I suggest coping my PVC frame on a smaller scale)

The Miller Table will be 7” wide and 24” long. Does not need to be any larger and will have a vial mounted into the upper end making collecting the gold a breeze. The parts that you see below are what are needed and some ½” nylon plate to cap the end of the table.

Rubber Grommets, 1/2" Pipe, Vial, Water Valve, 1/2' End Cap, Brass Hose Barb, Rubber Mat, Folded Aluminum Box, Attwood 500 GPH Pump, Scotch Brite Pad, and #6 x 3/4” Stainless Steel Screws. Not shown is the nylon plate for the end cap and water diffuser.

For anyone that has not seen the finished Rubber Mat Miller Table here is a link to my larger table and video's of the table working. Rubber Mat Miller Table

Jeff1.jpg Jeff2.jpg Jeff3.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Az I do the samething with the ABS plastic I use for my sluices. But I have a sheet metal brake to help keep the bend uniform like you do with the clamps/flat stock.

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff,

Damn US post office. Let me know if I need to get a handle for the valve and send it to you. The package was marked fragile all over it.

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fragile to the PO means drop kick instead of go long. No problem tho as it's already fixed Keith. Got a chrome metal replacement this afternoon at Ace for less than a couple bucks. While I was there, I also picked up 18" of hose (1" inside diameter I think???), couple of hose clamps, red and black insulated alligator clips for the pump wires to the battery charger and some shrink wrap insulator tubes for waterproof connections. Ran out of time tonight but should have it up and running tomorrow.

I gotta say Keith, you made it so well. Assembly was completely idiot proof! I put it right together without looking at any pics. It's perfect and square...thanks for the included super glue too btw. Love how the drop is preset but still adjustable. Those little bungies work perfect too. Such a neat thing to see it in the tub in all it's glory.:love10: I'll post up some pics as I can. And the nugget? Looks really coarse...didn't fall far from the tree. Ruff, shiny and beautiful...just the way I like em!

Thank you so much my friend. I couldn't have done it without you and all your help, not to mention my Mom for throwing in the $ backing. I been thinking when was the last time I met/knew someone like you. (Technically we haven't met face to face but that's the age we live in now days.) Anyway, I had to go back many many years in my memory files before I stopped at my Dad and Grandpa. Very nice buddy.:thumbsup: and greatly appreciated. :notworthy:

BTW, since Keith did this for me, all I paid for was parts and shipping. This complete set up can be had for right around $100. Wow huh? :icon_thumleft:
Jeff

Last edited:

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fragile to the PO means drop kick instead of go long. No problem tho as it's already fixed Keith. Got a chrome metal replacement this afternoon at Ace for less than a couple bucks. While I was there, I also picked up 18" of hose (1" inside diameter I think???), couple of hose clamps, red and black insulated alligator clips for the pump wires to the battery charger and some shrink wrap insulator tubes for waterproof connections. Ran out of time tonight but should have it up and running tomorrow.

I gotta say Keith, you made it so well. Assembly was completely idiot proof! I put it right together without looking at any pics. It's perfect and square...thanks for the included super glue too btw. Love how the drop is preset but still adjustable. Those little bungies work perfect too. Such a neat thing to see it in the tub in all it's glory.:love10: I'll post up some pics as I can. And the nugget? Looks really course...didn't fall far from the tree. Ruff, shiny and beautiful...just the way I like em!

Thank you so much my friend. I couldn't have done it without you and all your help, not to mention my Mom for throwing in the $ backing. I been thinking when was the last time I met someone like you. (Technically we haven't met face to face but that's the age we live in now days.) Anyway, I had to go back many many years in my memory files before I stopped at my Dad and Grandpa. Very nice buddy.:thumbsup: and greatly appreciated. :notworthy:

BTW, since Keith did this for me all I paid for was parts. This complete set up can be had for right around $100. Wow huh? :icon_thumleft:
Jeff

I'm happy to witness good friendships..very rare these days..

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff,

I am glad you like it. Sorry that the handle arrive broken. I kinda saw it coming due to the Flat Rate USPS box. If I were to make these Miller Tables I would make the table slightly short and wider so that they fit the USPS box and not install the valve. The valve would be installed by the user, lesson learned on my end. Make sure you post some pictures or video of the table in action and the fine gold you recover.

Also thanks for the nice complement. Never hurts to extend a helping hand. You reach out to me and ask for my advise on a Miller Table you had seen, its was at that moment I knew what I was going to do. I just needed to see if you would take me up on my offer, I am glad that you did. Was a fun little project to do for a friend.

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Az I do the samething with the ABS plastic I use for my sluices. But I have a sheet metal brake to help keep the bend uniform like you do with the clamps/flat stock.

Russ I would love to have a brake and shear. Been looking for a good used brake.

PaulieNoNuggets

Dec 21, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great job on that table AZ, you've prompted me to attempt to build one myself.
I've managed to find aluminum from Blue Collar supply, pvc tubing from Home Depot, and the matting from WalMart. I've looked all over town though and I can't find a nugget like that ANYWHERE!
Can you send me one? :laughing7:

Seriously awesome thread here. It's been a pleasure following along :)

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great job on that table AZ, you've prompted me to attempt to build one myself.
I've managed to find aluminum from Blue Collar supply, pvc tubing from Home Depot, and the matting from WalMart. I've looked all over town though and I can't find a nugget like that ANYWHERE!
Can you send me one? :laughing7:

Seriously awesome thread here. It's been a pleasure following along :)

I used 1/2" CPVC tubing from Lowes. Its much smaller than 1/2" PVC. Home Depot carries CPVC but I could find the nice 90 degree water valve for CPVC pipe that I used at HD.

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I took my time finishing up loose ends on the table Keith sent me. No way was I gonna make it any less than what it is..a fine piece of craftsmanship. Problem is my body quit before I could finish up. I had a problem initially with losing gold even tho I tried a few drops and different flows. It was like the liner needed to be cleaned first??? I could get small gold to stick in the mat but I found myself sweeping back up quite a bit. So I emailed Keith and told him what was going on. He suggested a decrease in drop and water flow. Both excellent ideas. That was a couple of days ago and rather than re-type it, here is our latest pm along with some missing info...

"Re: up and running...
Originally Posted by AzViper
Good Morning Jeff,

Any luck?

No but it's me. I haven't worked with it since last time we spoke. I'm good for stints of afternoon activities most times, but my back has either been very good or very bad. Apparently I've been bad so it's payback time I quess. I have given it a lot of thought to it tho. I'll try it low and slow next time. I know I overloaded it the first time. Live, experiment, learn...ain't no getting around it. It is after all a prototype so not expecting it to work right out of the box.

In the mean time, I hope to post pics and update the thread today to let folks know that I am working on it as time, body, family, leaks, breakdowns and life keeps a comin.
Jeff"

So there you go. Life gets in the way. The fact is, it's a brand new tool and it's going to take a little getting used to before I can dial it in proper. I did classify to 20, then tried 40, but the results were the same. I'll get it sorted out. In the meantime, please enjoy the trial and error and photo's of getting it up and running.

pan sta 1 001.jpg
pan sta 1 002.jpg
pan sta 1 003.jpg
pan sta 1 004.jpg
pan sta 1 007.jpg

Attachments

• pan sta 1 005.jpg
    pan sta 1 005.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 113
  • pan sta 1 006.jpg
    pan sta 1 006.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 107
  • pan sta 1 008.jpg
    pan sta 1 008.jpg
    519.6 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff,

I know you do not have the lip along the top edge as my table does, but you should be able to attach your small bungee's like I did. If they are to long you can shorten them at either end and tie a new knot that will not pull through the hook.

A11111.png

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I took my time finishing up loose ends on the table Keith sent me. No way was I gonna make it any less than what it is..a fine piece of craftsmanship. Problem is my body quit before I could finish up. I had a problem initially with losing gold even tho I tried a few drops and different flows. It was like the liner needed to be cleaned first??? I could get small gold to stick in the mat but I found myself sweeping back up quite a bit. So I emailed Keith and told him what was going on. He suggested a decrease in drop and water flow. Both excellent ideas. That was a couple of days ago and rather than re-type it, here is our latest pm along with some missing info...

"Re: up and running...
Originally Posted by AzViper
Good Morning Jeff,

Any luck?

No but it's me. I haven't worked with it since last time we spoke. I'm good for stints of afternoon activities most times, but my back has either been very good or very bad. Apparently I've been bad so it's payback time I quess. I have given it a lot of thought to it tho. I'll try it low and slow next time. I know I overloaded it the first time. Live, experiment, learn...ain't no getting around it. It is after all a prototype so not expecting it to work right out of the box.

In the mean time, I hope to post pics and update the thread today to let folks know that I am working on it as time, body, family, leaks, breakdowns and life keeps a comin.
Jeff"

So there you go. Life gets in the way. The fact is, it's a brand new tool and it's going to take a little getting used to before I can dial it in proper. I did classify to 20, then tried 40, but the results were the same. I'll get it sorted out. In the meantime, please enjoy the trial and error and photo's of getting it up and running.

View attachment 1104440
View attachment 1104441
View attachment 1104442
View attachment 1104443
View attachment 1104446

Nice looking table you got there. :)

Thanks for all the pictures.

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry it took so long to get back to this...the usual planned and unplanned *hit that happens. But I have good news, pics and a little story to go with it.

Last weekend the weather here was summer like. Sunny 55/71. I took full advantage and got all my gear cleaned up from last year and ready to go for this. After that, I gave my buddy Mike (delnorter) a call to see if he could come over and help me with the Miller Table. I got everything set up just about the time Mike pulled up. I had the table set with a 3 degree drop dialed in and I showed him that nothing was sticking to the mat. After trying different flow rates, Mike said let's try something else and went to his truck. He came back with a snuffer bottle, opened it up and dumped the contents on the mat. The gold stuck like a bug on the windshield. It had to be brushed to get it to move at all. As it turns out, the tiny sparkly stuff in the material I was using (classified -20 & -40 mesh) was pyrite and the mat was rejecting all of it, just as it should. I ran inside and got some of my gold. It had a good amount of sand in it and I just dumped it on the mat. Again, the gold was going no where and the sand quickly dissappeared. It reminded me of a glue board, the gold just would not move. After we shut the water off, we found some two or three really really small specs about 1/3 of the way down. I had a lot of fun filling and dumping the vial again with different flow rates, but the results were always the same.

So the good news is all the problems I was having with the sluice and all the tiny pieces flowing out of the pan were not problems at all. Everything was working just as it should be...pyrite dumping out. And that major amount of cons I have is pretty but worthless so far. All that glitters is not always gold, but I can trust my tools and experience now. Not only does it catch and hold gold, it will tell you in a big hurry if it's gold or not. The last pic is what I have done so far...washed and free of any dirt and sand. Something I clearly had difficulty with and now have no need to worry at all. Priceless! :hello2:

Here's some pics. I had to use my cell phone to make sure they would post. Once I can make the Canon shoot smaller files, I'll post better ones.
THANK YOU Keith! THANK YOU Mike! :notworthy:

002.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Remeber, that thing will catch gold so small you will literally need a magnifying glass to see it. It is not easy on the back to be bent over with a magnifying glass in your hand, either....

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a stupid question to show my inexperience will the Miller remove all the black sand from the gold?

Yes but so will a gold pan if you put in the time to practice with it :)

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked! like Kevin said , yes itll clean off everything. and rerun the cons at either a slower water volumn or a less of a tilt on the table. I like to rerun my cons three times........................I got to do something during my retirement!:)

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thought I would bump the thread and do an update.

The table works even better than before, thanks to me using it and seeing what it's capable of. Last Thursday I grabbed a quart of 1/8" classified in the area delnorter told me to go. Just a dig and dash really. Today I finished classifying the dirt to -20 (nothing found at +20). Ran it and recovered all the gold on the Miller Table. Mostly tiny pieces and a couple of flakes... maybe .01 gr. Take a look at one of the smaller pieces compared to the round tooth pick.

002.jpg

Brushed the remaining cons around some more and finally turned the valve wide open to flush it out and quickly found two more pieces half way down, each half the size of the above. Looking in the vial, I can see flour gold that I got without even knowing it.

Reran the cons and found nothing else.:icon_thumleft:

VERY HAPPY with my table Keith...it keeps on giving me just what I want!

BTW, I also got some tiny silver pieces that reacted the same as gold...maybe merc covered???

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread