Crossing others claims to get to prospective sites?

Caribou369

Oct 31, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Crossing other's claims to get to prospective sites?

I've done a lot of research and have located a few nice spots that are adjacent to other claims. In some cases, the best access to my prospective spots is across another marked claim area (or two).
In some areas it hardly seems possible to get from one place to another without crossing at least one other claim.

Would you advise against crossing other claims, or is it generally ok? What prevents a claim holder from accusing a prospector crossing the land from claim jumping ie. prospecting on their claim? What is the etiquette here?
Thought I would ask here how all y'all handle this situation.

Thanks in advance for your advice and sharing your expertise!

Upvote 0

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the claim is an unpatened federal claim on public property trespassing is not an issue as the claimant owns the mineral rights not the property. As far as claim jumping contact your claim neighbors and let them know your intent to access your claim through theirs and look out for each other.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Perfectly legal for anyone to pass through, camp, hunt or fish a federal mining claim as long as they:

1. Don't interfere with active mining.

2. Don't take any minerals.

Meet your neighbors when you get a chance. Feel free to cross over their claims when you need to.

Heavy Pans

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Claim jumping is attempting to steal a claim by hook or crook. Stealing gold from anothers' claim is high grading 2 completely different scenarios. Both can literally blow up in your face. Crossing claims is nothing at all as perfectly legal,no bfd-......John

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
The area that we were looking to claim last year (placer) part of the Arizona Trail going thru it and so we had people going across our claim all the time. We also had a lode claim above us that the owners only access to it was through our claim. We got to know him as well as many a hiker that was using that section of the AZ Trail. We also got to know a couple of the hunters in the area that liked to hunt by the pond during deer season.

Anytime you have a claim on federal lands you have to be ready to share it with other types of users. You just don't have to share the minerals is all. Your neighbor should know this and be willing to work with you. Who knows? You might make a new friend and even learn some mining tactics that work well in that area.

OP
OP
C

Caribou369

Oct 31, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the advice, everyone! If I see the other miners when I'm crossing over, I'll be sure to say hi and introduce myself.

Desertphile

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Indeed, if it's public land then there is no issue regarding trespassing. Some mineral claim owners put up "NO TRESPASSING" signs, which is just silly: I use those signs as building material for my mill site when I find them. There are public roads that mineral claim owners have blocked off, gated, or otherwise have denied citizens their right to use those roads: complaints to the BLM will usually correct that crime.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the advice, everyone! If I see the other miners when I'm crossing over, I'll be sure to say hi and introduce myself.

VERY good idea Caribou! By knowing your neighbor(s) you can all keep an eye on each others stuff. I've always found miners to be friendly people and willing to help other miners whenever they can.

The guy that had the lode claim above us was great to talk with as he knew quite a bit about hard rock mining (which I've never done) so it was a learning experience for me. We agreed to keep an eye on each others claims and we were working together to get the a road that crossed our claims that the FS had closed off opened back up.

One time while out at our claim during the middle of the week I could hear people talking up the hill by my neighbors digs. I went up to investigate and sure enough there were a couple of hikers poking around his claim. He has several audits and not all of them were gated. I approached the hikers and politely greeted them and let them know that poking around a mine shaft was not a good idea. They explained that they were just wondering about the mine and didn't know that it was still active. I explained that it was active and that it was dangerous for people that didn't know what they were doing to be entering any mine. I feel that in this day and age, it's our job as miners to not only keep an eye out for each other, but to educate the public as well.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Crossing someones claim carrying a shovel, pans and sluice will probably raise some questions if the claim owner spots you. However he has no right to restrict your ingress across his claim to your own spot . He owns the minerals and you are only "jumping" if you remove them.
With that being said, some claim owners are protective and militant, they also may have the opinion that the laws of the wild west still apply. If confronted with any kind of violence just leave but return with the sheriff an he will educate this guy of the laws of modern times

Desertphile

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
{CUTS}With that being said, some claim owners are protective and militant, they also may have the opinion that the laws of the wild west still apply. If confronted with any kind of violence just leave but return with the sheriff an he will educate this guy of the laws of modern times.

The "owners" (squatters) on public land near a mill site within Kingston Wilderness in East Mojave match that description. I've found it best to pass them at night in the arroyo to the east; they appear to be a Christian gun cult, but I've never stopped to look the place over. On the other hand, Ed at Apache Turquoise Mine used to carry a .38 pistol and he was (and still is) a nice guy. Since it's America, one must assume anyone end everyone one meets in the wilderness is a homicidal sociopath.

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since it's America, one must assume anyone end everyone one meets in the wilderness is a homicidal sociopath.

:laughing7: that one made me laugh, thank you Desertphile.

I must admit, when I'm out in the wilderness and come upon another human, I tend to treat them as Psycho unless proven otherwise. That's not to say I do not approach and be cordial and open to making a new friend. I just don't turn my back on them til there gone or they've gained my trust. Better safe than sorry.

Humans, the most dangerous animal on the planet.
Ad in Greed, and you've got a weapon of mass destruction :laughing9:

That's why I wont do any business with relatives or friends.
I've seen families destroyed over money. Crazy.

So I want to start searching for Gold.. LOL!! :headbang:

Last edited:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One of the things I like to point out is how some people instantly turn into Yosemite Sam when they stake a claim. For some bizarre reason they truly believe they have the God given right to shoot anyone caught "jumping" their claim. Removing the minerals off someones claim is Mineral trespass and is only a class C felony here. Which means you go fetch the Sheriff and let him sort it out.

Below is a pic I took some years ago and every time I see it I laugh. I have walked all over this claim but never met up with the owner. If I had and he pressed the threat of death which he posted in writing, I would own everything he ever hoped of having. He does not understand that you cant behave this way because it's no longer 1867 in the wild west.
jumper.JPG

Desertphile

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
:laughing7: that one made me laugh, thank you Desertphile.

I must admit, when I'm out in the wilderness and come upon another human, I tend to treat them as Psycho unless proven otherwise. That's not to say I do not approach and be cordial and open to making a new friend. I just don't turn my back on them til there gone or they've gained my trust. Better safe than sorry.

Humans, the most dangerous animal on the planet.
Ad in Greed, and you've got a weapon of mass destruction :laughing9:

That's why I wont do any business with relatives or friends.
I've seen families destroyed over money. Crazy.

So I want to start searching for Gold.. LOL!! :headbang:

When I was hiking out of Death Valley, near Ibex Spring, someone shot me in the back: I heard a car coming up behind me so I stepped to the side, and someone shot me in the back , out of the car, as it passed. A year later, at Silurian Hills, two men shot at me as I was hiking through the old T&T right-of-way, with one bullet coming so close to my right ear that the pressure wave broke my ear drum, and it healed poorly. They later tried to hunt me down, from their Jeep, as I fled through Valjean Valley. Both times, the murderous intent was anonymous and for the thrill of killing a random stranger (me).

I assume, every time I leave the house, that anyone and everyone is out to kill me. In the United States of America, that is a sane and legitimate assumption.

Desertphile

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One of the things I like to point out is how some people instantly turn into Yosemite Sam when they stake a claim. For some bizarre reason they truly believe they have the God given right to shoot anyone caught "jumping" their claim. Removing the minerals off someones claim is Mineral trespass and is only a class C felony here. Which means you go fetch the Sheriff and let him sort it out.

Below is a pic I took some years ago and every time I see it I laugh. I have walked all over this claim but never met up with the owner. If I had and he pressed the threat of death which he posted in writing, I would own everything he ever hoped of having. He does not understand that you cant behave this way because it's no longer 1867 in the wild west.
View attachment 1097885

I like the image. I have seen similar signs for cattle rustling in Northern New Mexico, and trash litterers in Sandy Valley, Nevada / California.

Human life in America is cheap: daily, people are gunned down for "the fun of it." This morning a woman in Texas drove down the streets of a small town, her rifle out the window, shooting at houses. Yesterday a man rushed into a fast food store with a hand gun and demanded "fresh drinks and french fries" at gun-point because someone inside forgot to include a cheeseburger in his to-go order.

When I'm working my mineral claims, or when I'm moving cattle on horseback or ATV, and I see someone--- I always slip the hammer thong off my six shooter. Not because I want to shoot someone, but because other people want to shoot someone.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I say this in the most respectful manner - you guys are nuts. If it is really that dangerous, I would find something else to do. Maybe it is different in the US and Canada, but when I am in the woods and meet up with somebody, I put away anything that might look threatening, including the rock pick. Bears or cougars might be a problem, but people are not (except the sneaky ones who want to check out your camp when you are not there and steal something). Best invention made for keeping things honest and civil is the video camera.

When I have to park near someone else's claim, I leave a map on the dash, which shows in yellow where my claim is and anybody interested could sort out for themselves why I am there. I don't cross active mining operations, without first checking in. If on an active claim, I stay far away from their wash plant and clean up area. For the same reason, I give people space when they are at the ATM.

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Raptor Highbanker, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher F70, Bazooka 36" Sniper, Gold Cube, Gold Vac Pac, Pans & Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
" I say this in the most respectful manner - you guys are nuts. :

haha love it!

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I always carry my .45 when I am in the woods. It's not just a mining thing, it's an away-from-the-long-arm-of-the-law thing. Most people who I come across are good and would never even know I am carrying. It's that one bad guy I prepare for. A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one then you will never need one again.

OP
OP
C

Caribou369

Oct 31, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Crossing someones claim carrying a shovel, pans and sluice will probably raise some questions if the claim owner spots you. However he has no right to restrict your ingress across his claim to your own spot . He owns the minerals and you are only "jumping" if you remove them.
With that being said, some claim owners are protective and militant, they also may have the opinion that the laws of the wild west still apply. If confronted with any kind of violence just leave but return with the sheriff an he will educate this guy of the laws of modern times

Good thing I am a sniper, my kit fits entirely in two day packs or a med hiker's pack. Aside from the large digging bar that doubles as a staff, I look like an ordinary hiker. :laughing9:
Thanks for the advice though, I am not likely to forget it. Savage men and bears are out there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread