Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
K/247 - 425Jesse uses a Bazooka, as do my nephews in WA. The Bazooka Goldtrap works great on WA River gold. Not as great on ocean beach sand but no riffle sluice will do the job there either, you need a real beach box when most of your gold is -100 or smaller!

You'll get more gold for less work with a Bazooka vs a metal riffle sluice since there is NO classifying with the Bazooka...means you process 2-3X the material with the same effort/time. More material = bigger holes = more gold. Simple math.

Last edited:

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can always try replacing the riffles and mat in your A52 and put vortex matting in it, but you still need to classify to 8 mesh 1st. Another option besides the Bazooka series is an Angus Mackirk. The A.M. sluice works in slow or fast water, and I only classify down to 1/4" if all there is is flour. I haven't tried the Bazookas but want one bad......no classifying sounds wonderful to me.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can always try replacing the riffles and mat in your A52 and put vortex matting in it, but you still need to classify to 8 mesh 1st. Another option besides the Bazooka series is an Angus Mackirk. The A.M. sluice works in slow or fast water, and I only classify down to 1/4" if all there is is flour. I haven't tried the Bazookas but want one bad......no classifying sounds wonderful to me.

Good advice with one caution: According to Red Wilcox, co-inventor of the Gold Cube, vortex mat needs to be at a 15 degree angle (that's really steep for an in stream sluice!) for the vortexes to form. Otherwise the mat will just load up with black sand and you'll lose gold. :(

Like you Mike, I'm also a fan of the AM products, I have the Expedition. Been thinking about selling it though as I don't really use it now that I have a range of Bazooka Goldtrap sizes.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very true about the angle problem with vortex mat. There's always Gold Hog mats, that's my next purchase. Then I can use my homemade ABS highbanker with a larger classifier, also as a river sluice if I want to travel lighter, and I also plan use the same setup for my 2 1/2" dredge when I get it built someday. I'd love to have a Bazooka too, but most areas I go to the water is just to slow and low, and my AM foreman is an easy pack anywhere.
mike_zpse418765e.jpg CAM00112_zps17e194ca.jpg

But at the beach, the Cube or vortex matted highbanker is hands down the best in my experience.

Attachments

• mike.jpg
    mike.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 96

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Bgt prospector/miner, Ggt nugget, gold cube, goldnsand hand pump Black magic miller table, blue bowl, garret pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice how much sand was run in that cube to get that much gold

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It was probably about 1/4-1/3 yard in 4hrs of steady feeding. I tend to feed a bit to fast and overload the mat at times, but when I have a truckload of sand to unload with a little scoop.....I get a little impatient after a couple hrs.

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Bgt prospector/miner, Ggt nugget, gold cube, goldnsand hand pump Black magic miller table, blue bowl, garret pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It was probably about 1/4-1/3 yard in 4hrs of steady feeding. I tend to feed a bit to fast and overload the mat at times, but when I have a truckload of sand to unload with a little scoop.....I get a little impatient after a couple hrs.

Yeah i hear that i just bought a gold cube to run my cons and am just starting to do a little beach prospecting here in nor-cal, i have gone once so far and found a little gold

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Mike that was a nice run on that black sand! now you need a auto feeder to get a controlled supply of material to your Gold Cube and give yourself a small break from all that shoveling! nice gold!

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420254901.054503.jpg this is my first time using my gold cube for beach sand and i ran two gallons of sand

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice, that's some rich sand to get that much out of just a couple gallons. It's amazing how small of gold it'll retain....it's almost fool proof.....till I get my hands on it :icon_scratch:

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice, that's some rich sand to get that much out of just a couple gallons. It's amazing how small of gold it'll retain....it's almost fool proof.....till I get my hands on it :icon_scratch:

Yes it is some very rich sand i probably get fifteen colors from les than a cup test panning the spot im on they used to have a mining operation here way back when. And the gold cube i couldnt say enough good things about it simply amazing recovery. Now just sitting here fighting to get it out of the final pan to the vial im on the third try haha

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it is some very rich sand i probably get fifteen colors from les than a cup test panning the spot im on they used to have a mining operation here way back when. And the gold cube i couldnt say enough good things about it simply amazing recovery. Now just sitting here fighting to get it out of the final pan to the vial im on the third try haha

Can you run the Gold Cube on the beach down there in Cali?
Here any powered equipment must be above the vegetation line. The black sand here is rich! Around Nesika beach especially. Whaleshead creek has a lot of water this time of year so my beach sluice is happy.:laughing7:

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can you run the Gold Cube on the beach down there in Cali?
Here any powered equipment must be above the vegetation line. The black sand here is rich! Around Nesika beach especially. Whaleshead creek has a lot of water this time of year so my beach sluice is happy.:laughing7:

I didnt ask, the beach i am on is county owned but i am bringing the sand home and running it which is a pain but o well. The spot i am at there was a beach placer mine here long ago and the sand so far has been really rich for me too. I have watched some videos on youtube about gold beach thought about giving it a try until i seen how good the sand is treating me here

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420343156.477558.jpg this is fifteen gallons ran so far

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt ask, the beach i am on is county owned but i am bringing the sand home and running it which is a pain but o well. The spot i am at there was a beach placer mine here long ago and the sand so far has been really rich for me too. I have watched some videos on youtube about gold beach thought about giving it a try until i seen how good the sand is treating me here

Yes hauling that heavy, heavy sand home is a pain.
DSCN6041.JPG

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow thats alot more black sand than i am dealing with!

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thats alot more black sand than i am dealing with!

Gold beach/Nesika beach ha A LOT more then that. Problem is not a lot of creeks for a beach sluice, and I can carry about 2-3 gallons of black sands max. Wet black sand is heavy. This is my next purchase. Sections of Nesika beach have 1-2 OZ per ton. The local sporting goods store here they are prospectors/miners. They are at Nesika beach a lot. They also sell pans, classifiers, sluice boxes, gold suckers, high bankers, dredges and they did have a large trommel.

bucket-hand-cart-stairs-1024x669.jpg

Last edited:

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like fun but there is no where to run a gold cube legally Without packing hundreds of pounds long distance? I have a BGT but thats no good for beach prospecting. I watched a video on youtube where these two guys were just before or just after gold beach and they were running a Goldcube on the beach and there was some sort of water source

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like fun but there is no where to run a gold cube legally Without packing hundreds of pounds long distance? I have a BGT but thats no good for beach prospecting. I watched a video on youtube where these two guys were just before or just after gold beach and they were running a Goldcube on the beach and there was some sort of water source

My understanding is no powered equipment on the beach except above the vegetation line. I have seen a beach sluice 24" by 6' set up near a culvert. I have a Keene A52 with ribbed matting only. Works well. My 5 gallon buckets 1/2 full weigh well over 100 pounds. I remember years ago 4 wheelers all over Nesika beach! That would be the way to go. Of course the price of gold was.......low back then.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread