Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Bgt prospector/miner, Ggt nugget, gold cube, goldnsand hand pump Black magic miller table, blue bowl, garret pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
According to the excerpt of Oregon Shore Recreation Rules shown below, beach sand removal is limited to 20 gallons per year! Pretty ridiculous to say the least.

(9) A person may engage in recreational prospecting as provided in this section. However, the department may restrict disturbance or removal to specific areas of the ocean shore state recreation area, by quantities of material, and by time of year.

(a) A person may remove sand from the ocean shore state recreation area for personal prospecting use. A person may remove a maximum of one five-gallon volume container per day; for up to 20 gallons per person per calendar year.

(b) Equipment is limited to hand-operated instruments;

(c) A person may not use motorized equipment, including solar, battery operated pumps, or other similar motorized devices;

Here is where the quote came from: http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/pages/rules/oars_700/oar_736/736_021.html

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to this excerpt of Oregon law shown below, sand removal is limited to 10 gallons per year! Pretty ridiculous to say the least.
"Removal for Personal Use:
(B) Sand: no more than a five-gallon volume container per person per day; up to 20 gallons per person per calendar year. beach sand removal is limited to a total of 10 gallons of sand per year." Here is where the quote came from: Oregon Secretary of State Archives Division

OOPS I forgot to remember this the last time I was there.
Sure. I have seen people on Nesika beach standing in a hole 5 feet deep. Running a sluice using sea water. major no-no X3.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So sounds like i need to bring some astro turf with me to solve that vegetation line issue...lol. Well looks like i'm going to have to go up there and do some exploring here soon i have nothing better to do anyways. How far north of brook is that nesika beach?
35 miles or so. Ask at Lorings lighthouse sporting goods store. The one employee has spent a lot of time up there. Mention my name! :laughing7:I grew up with him. Whaleshead is a lot closer. wear boots, cross the creek 1/8 of a mile....black sand.

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Bgt prospector/miner, Ggt nugget, gold cube, goldnsand hand pump Black magic miller table, blue bowl, garret pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
35 miles or so. Ask at Lorings lighthouse sporting goods store. The one employee has spent a lot of time up there. Mention my name! :laughing7:I grew up with him. Whaleshead is a lot closer. wear boots, cross the creek 1/8 of a mile....black sand.

Cool thanks for all that information its nice that you would give someone that much info its much appreciated if you ever need anything south of the border let me know

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
According to the excerpt of Oregon Shore Recreation Rules shown below, beach sand removal is limited to 20 gallons per year! Pretty ridiculous to say the least.

(9) A person may engage in recreational prospecting as provided in this section. However, the department may restrict disturbance or removal to specific areas of the ocean shore state recreation area, by quantities of material, and by time of year.

(a) A person may remove sand from the ocean shore state recreation area for personal prospecting use. A person may remove a maximum of one five-gallon volume container per day; for up to 20 gallons per person per calendar year.

(b) Equipment is limited to hand-operated instruments;

(c) A person may not use motorized equipment, including solar, battery operated pumps, or other similar motorized devices;

Here is where the quote came from: http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/pages/rules/oars_700/oar_736/736_021.html

Wow that is crazy strict....

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool thanks for all that information its nice that you would give someone that much info its much appreciated if you ever need anything south of the border let me know

No problem. before you head to Nesika beach let me know I will give you more details. Of course being storm season the sand can get buried in 1 day.

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Alright will do thanks again

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
J have not done any serious digging at Whaleshead but have always found gold just by being selective in running the visible black sands that collect around the driftwood or on the small dunes close to the creek.* That gold is beyond teeny tiny as no gold was found that was above 100 mesh and is probably mostly small enough to pass a 150 or 200 mesh screen, neither of which I have. I can only guess that the black sands around the stones below the sand level may contain larger gold. The creek has had enough flow, the times I was there, to run a small sluice and I ran my homemade bazooka once. I found that was not a good choice.
Good Luck

* Just for kicks I panned a finger pinch of these black sands and could see many colors. My production did not come close to equaling what I expected to find based on that test. Back to the drawing board for sluice capture media or fine tune the flow and feed rate for the Gold Hog mats (I used a configuration that Doc suggested but did not have time to test at different settings as he also suggested) that I used on my last excursion. I may have run it too hot. I think that low rib mat is probably one of the best and least expensive choices.

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
J have not done any serious digging at Whaleshead but have always found gold just by being selective in running the visible black sands that collect around the driftwood or on the small dunes close to the creek.* That gold is beyond teeny tiny as no gold was found that was above 100 mesh and is probably mostly small enough to pass a 150 or 200 mesh screen, neither of which I have. I can only guess that the black sands around the stones below the sand level may contain larger gold. The creek has had enough flow, the times I was there, to run a small sluice and I ran my homemade bazooka once. I found that was not a good choice.
Good Luck

* Just for kicks I panned a finger pinch of these black sands and could see many colors. My production did not come close to equaling what I expected to find based on that test. Back to the drawing board for sluice capture media or fine tune the flow and feed rate for the Gold Hog mats (I used a configuration that Doc suggested but did not have time to test at different settings as he also suggested) that I used on my last excursion. I may have run it too hot. I think that low rib mat is probably one of the best and least expensive choices.

Whalesead creek is like a small river right now. Deep V matting, just run until....well you will see. Nesika beach gold. About 125 lbs of black sand = beachsluiceready-1-IMG_5859.jpg And sore back, arms. You won't get rich this way.

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As long as you had a good time and are healthy enough to dig than your already rich in my book

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1421453935.129068.jpg this is my take from 12 gallons of sand today

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's really neat Yotaboy. That is some really fine stuff. Which side of the border were you on?

Mike

Yes it is very fine stuff and i am on our side of the border. I haven't got the chance to head north of the border yet....oh i have a question for you but ill pm you

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the cube is just good for cons and a sluice would be preferable most of the time?

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the cube is just good for cons and a sluice would be preferable most of the time?
Kinda but the Cube also can be bought with a trommel or a high banker set up which really puts up above a sluice and with the trommel the price is over $1000.00 I believe. So the price of the unit still makes it into the old saying that "You get what you pay for" A sluice is a lot lighter and can be carried in to the bush a lot easier where a cube with a trommel will need a wheelbarrow at the least.
Gold Cube Banker - Mini Highbanker - Gold Prospecting Equipment - Recovery

SHoward

Mar 14, 2014
Dadeville, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites MX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trommel atatchment is $575 and another $400 for the Gold Cube so right at $1000 is right. So far my gold cube has proven to be worth it.....Waiting to see what others have to say about the trommel, for now I'll keep my classifers. But it does look good in the video's I've seen

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The trommel is pretty awesome...shovel, shovel shovel! I don't own one but I got to run the original prototype last summer with Red Wilcox. We were doing a volunteer event together.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Bboth require classification to catch fine gold but The cube will capture gold that the sluice never even knew was there

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Isn't a gold cube just a scrunched up sluice box? Like a Yukon zig-zag? not to be confused with cigarette papers and the riffle system.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread