Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No, it's not just a folded sluice. There is an under flow thingy at the top of each tray which is important too. Go check out their website for more info.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Big Red

Feb 4, 2012
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett: Grand Master Hunter CX III, CX Plus, GTI 2500, GTI 1500, GTA 1000 Ultra, Tesoro Lobo Super track, Sorex Pro, Discovery Electronics: Treasure Baron GoldTrax, Treasure Baron CoinTrax. Minelab:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could say that, but it has some really good gold catching abilities, not seen or available before and some very good matting too! When I have used mine, it catches all the gold, including fines to 100 mesh, in the first trough. Nothing in the second or third trough, at all. Thats a lot better than any sluice I have ever seen? I usually screen my material down to 30 mesh, others may screen even finer, not sure? Add the new trommel and for a thousand dollars, or so, you are set up. I was thinking, this year, since I can't afford the trommel for $600.00, I might add a spray bar to pre-wet the 30 mesh screen I use to classify my material, might make it easier and I could probably run more material. Just need to figure out how I will design it and build it.

Two Alpha

Jun 11, 2008
Northwest BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An inexpensive and effective upgrade for kikinit would be a popandson style modification to his A51. Works fine using the expanded that comes with the A51 rather than the three different sizes suggested for in the full popandson mod, especially for the fine stuff. Lots of goodness in this video.

Last edited:

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An inexpensive and effective upgrade for kikinit would be a popandson style modification to his A51. Works fine using the expanded that comes with the A51 rather than the three different sizes suggested for in the full popandson mod, especially for the fine stuff. Lots of goodness in this video.

[/URL]

I second Two Alpha on the "Popandson" sluice mod idea. Steve Gaber the "Pop" suggests using 3/16" expanded for fine gold recovery, but he got reports from other users that they are doing just fine with 1/2" expanded. So, yeah you can use what you have.It will work if you followed the guidelines that he freely provides for anyone wants to try/experiment.

Not trying to hijack the thread but you can read more on this type of sluice here : http://www.mine.mn/Robin_Grayson_gold_recovery_method72.pdf and here -where you'll find their Email address - so you can ask away any questions you may have: The Popandson Fine Gold Sluice, Design and Operating Guidelines

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a Gold Cube, Built my own 3/8 banker w/ sprays, and power it with a battery connected to solar panel and a back up hand pump providing 28gpm and it all weighs about 50 lbs. it makes a nice setup, a bazooka either will collect nuggets and blow out fines or will clog up it will miss the fines. It cannot be set up to collect chunky , small pieces of gold and fine ground flour gold at the same time, in my opinion

MadJack_ME

Apr 11, 2013
Maine, mostly
Detector(s) used
Original Gold Bug, Dahlke Dredges, LeTrap Sluice for clean-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trommel is pretty awesome...shovel, shovel shovel! I don't own one but I got to run the original prototype last summer with Red Wilcox. We were doing a volunteer event together.

But your ground better have a boatload of micron gold to ever think about return on investment, compared to a LeTrap or McKirk!
I liken it to the return on investment from wind farms less the government subsidies.

MadJack_ME

Apr 11, 2013
Maine, mostly
Detector(s) used
Original Gold Bug, Dahlke Dredges, LeTrap Sluice for clean-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wrong quote came up...; Isn't a gold cube just a scrunched up sluice box? Like a Yukon zig-zag?

Absolutely! Never heard of the Yukon zig-zag.
It is based on the original 'reversing sluice' ideas from back in the mid/late 1800's, and a patented design shortly thereafter.
It surfaced again in the 1920's or 1930's [as per some old family writings] and I was also privy to a multi-year discussion back in the 1990's with David Bryce [aka ZOOKA] and Jan Weght [aka VIKING] when we were discussing the designs of the 'Vikings Toy'. Sometime around or shortly after Jan's death, Alan Trees came up with a plastic and easier to make design of the reversing sluice. Since David nor Jan ever got an actual Patent, there was no infringement. I have no idea what became of Alan's rig.

What Mr. Pung has done is add (correct me if I'm wrong) a 'forced fluid bed', a mat originally intended for another use, a unique esthetically pleasing frame, and a Marketing campaign rivaled by few. And it catches fine gold.
Kudos to Mike for the whole package.

Will I buy one? Most likely not, as my $79 LeTrap continues to capture nuggets and micron gold with ZERO classifying of my dredge cons in approximately 5 minutes or less. If my system ain't broke, no sense to fix it.

Your mileage may vary.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wrong quote came up...; Isn't a gold cube just a scrunched up sluice box? Like a Yukon zig-zag?

Absolutely! Never heard of the Yukon zig-zag. Your mileage may vary.

Hi Jack The Yukon Zig Zag is basically 3 boxes or whatever stacked together off of the ground in a Z pattern. Kind of like the old style 3 level highbanker.

And then there's this sluice. Being it's the Alaska Jack sluice, and you're MadJack (close enough right Jack, hehe) maybe you can tell us how it works :evil6:

:dontknow::icon_scratch::dontknow::icon_scratch::dontknow::tongue3:

alaska jack sluice.jpg

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a Gold Cube, Built my own 3/8 banker w/ sprays,

Nice, any chance you have any pics of the high banker attachment?

I'm about to embark on the same journey.. I've got all the stuff, just need to finalize on a design and find the time to do it...
This classifying stuff is for the birds...

The gold cube high banker attachment is a little rich for my blood, and it doesn't seem to work for a hill of beans from the vids I've seen..
I think it needs a slick plate....

All in all, I'm very happy with my cube... The furthest I've seen a visible piece of gold (not buried under black sands) was the 11th riffle down
in the first tray.. And there are 70 rows of riffles in each tray I think.

I've given up going through the cons in the 2nd and 3rd tray.. Little to nothing in them, I've just been cleaning
the 2nd and 3rd tray into a bucket, and when its full, I'll run it back through the cube and see what I get...

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
According to the excerpt of Oregon Shore Recreation Rules shown below, beach sand removal is limited to 20 gallons per year! Pretty ridiculous to say the least.

(9) A person may engage in recreational prospecting as provided in this section. However, the department may restrict disturbance or removal to specific areas of the ocean shore state recreation area, by quantities of material, and by time of year.

(a) A person may remove sand from the ocean shore state recreation area for personal prospecting use. A person may remove a maximum of one five-gallon volume container per day; for up to 20 gallons per person per calendar year.

(b) Equipment is limited to hand-operated instruments;

(c) A person may not use motorized equipment, including solar, battery operated pumps, or other similar motorized devices;

Here is where the quote came from: Oregon Secretary of State Archives Division

The key to sand removal quantities is to classify the hell out of it so you are only removing a cup full or two at a time when you leave the beach.......Super concentrates.......:laughing7:

VE5MDH

Dec 24, 2015
Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
- Ace 250
- Chinese Handheld Unit (eBay)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With fingers crossed, I should have my 3 Stack Gold Cube in the mail this morning (2 1/2 hrs time). I have a few experimental buckets of Cons ready to go as well! Mainly from my vacation all around Alberta last year. #FingersCrossed!

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With fingers crossed, I should have my 3 Stack Gold Cube in the mail this morning (2 1/2 hrs time). I have a few experimental buckets of Cons ready to go as well! Mainly from my vacation all around Alberta last year. #FingersCrossed!

Don't forget to break it in/rough it up first...

About 18 minutes into this gold hog video, he explains it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread