Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
It needs to be seen by all miners, John Q pulbic. It exposes these green groups for exactly what they are. TV, radio, facebook, blogs, chatrooms whatever.

On December 12th the Western Mining Alliance received the
final report on the Department of Interior’s investigation into the
activities of Dr. Charles Alpers of the US Geological Survey.
In response to a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) filed by
the WMA, and a follow on request for an official investigation the
Department of Interior published the results of their investigation.
Dr. Charles Alpers, of the US Geological Survey (USGS) was
the lead mercury researcher for the water quality section of the
2011 Suction Dredging Environmental Impact Report (EIR). He
was responsible for collecting the data, and preparing the analysis
for the California Suction Dredging Environmental Impact Report
which concluded suction dredges were linked to high
methylmercury levels in wildlife.
He further stated there was only one year of testing data to
rely on.
In 2013 the WMA submitted a FOIA requesting all data
related to sampling of mercury on the South Yuba River, the same
location the suction dredge study took place. The information we
received proved over five years of data existed from research
funded by the Bureau of Land Management, and conducted by –
Dr. Charles Alpers.
When we evaluated all of the data we found there was natural
variability from year to year in mercury levels in wildlife, and the
levels of mercury in insects appeared to be directly linked to the
size of the spring flood. When we viewed all of the data there was
no linkage between mercury levels and dredging activity which
was in direct contradiction to Dr. Alpers’ findings.
The WMA submitted a request for an official investigation
alleging scientific misconduct over the withholding of the data set.
We met with the Department of Interior in June and discussed our
concerns.
Last week the Department of Interior provided us with their
report and it provides some stunning revelations.
The lead mercury researcher on the suction dredging EIR was
also a donor and member of The Sierra Fund. The Sierra Fund is
the organization which claims responsibility for developing the
legislation which banned suction dredging. They have publically
admitted they are opposed to suction dredging and they claimed
credit for writing the legislation which resulted in SB 670, the initial dredging ban.

Upvote 0

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love seeing hysterical conspiracy mongers as much as the next guy, but please look at what some of you are writing. Good gods!

The mercury in the area came from gold miners: it did not magically appear along the rivers and stream beds by an act of the gods. The burning of coal, which dumps mercury, spreads that mercury everywhere down wind---- not along streams, which is one of the many reasons why we know where the mercury came from: miners.

Dredging in some areas removes some of the sequestered mercury into the water: as much as rain does.

The land we mine belongs to everyone, not just us miners; the water we use belongs to everyone, not just us miners. When we work a mine, we are doing so on land that belongs to everyone: we do not have the right to poison the water.

Why is that not obvious?

Scientists merely stated the facts: they did not make any political opinions on the subject; they did not further any sinister Oh My Gods There's A Black Man In The White House agenda. The scientists merely pointed out the fact that everyone's properly (water) is being poisoned by some of us miners.

If you object about what the scientists have stated, write a paper on the subject and submit it to a science journal for peer review and publication: correct the flaws you believe the scientists made.

Sheeeish. And people call *ME* paranoid.... :-)

I'm not really sure what the frack you are talking about. The pioneer miners used a lot of mercury and some of it was lost by carelessness or accident but the popular belief of them pouring HG into the rivers to amalgamate the gold are just hogwash. HG is expensive and hard to come by and pouring it into a river is a extremely inefficient way to try and catch gold.

A small portion of the HG in the steams did come from mining but MOST of the mercury came from naturally occurring sources. This is proven by the presence of high mercury concentrations in many streams that bear no gold whatsoever.

Mercury does not sequester in water, it lies stationary in cemented gravels and on bedrock. It is not inactive in this state and it is not safely out of the water column. HG will constantly methelyate whether it is floured and flowing in the water body or puddled up in a crack somewhere. It makes no difference as water is actively flowing around it no matter where it is in the stream. Dredging does not release HG, it is already there. Rain will move mercury, not remove it.

A modern Suction Gold Dredge is the most efficient, least expensive and most reliable mercury removal device ever devised. It will consistently collect 98% of all the HG it dredges up. It does not take a rocket scientist to understand that if you have 98% less of something bad, that is good.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Facts are often quite inconvenient for a good majority of environmentalists, you probably won't even be acknowledged if you use facts, reason and common sense. That's just not what they are about. If the data says something other than what they regard as "proof", you will be ridiculed, ignored and probably called a racist. (See post above about supposed racism against Barry H. Obama).

It's their RELIGION.

After all, they think your cars or cow farts can control the weather. Best not to feed the Troll, but instead to spread the word Oak suggested in the original post.
Love,

P70

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting that the worst polluted rivers in our country are in states that do not have the public lands and use that we have in California......More interesting that Mercury is not on the top of the list of problems. As pointed out the majority of watersheds in California that are gold bearing are actually in very good condition......luckily since the moratorium in 2009 all those rivers reverted from poisonous cesspools to the beautiful waterways we see today......Oh, wait they already were beautiful clean waterways......America's Top 10 Most-Polluted Waterways | Mother Jones Interesting by product of the environmentalists is the fact that forcing The U.S. and the U.k. to move to all cfl lightbulbs has reopened many formerly closed mines in other countries with poor regulation. I find it pretty selfish and wrong to make our Nation "Better" for our population at the expense of other populations. I guess the environment only matters here in California. The fact is that the Mission statement of the Sierra Club...The Sierra Fund or any of the other non-profits are so hollow its ridiculous......These groups have "Marketing departments" and that there says it all!!!

Last edited:

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been quite a few years ago, but SF had an "Abondoned Mines and Mercury Remediation" conference at Squaw Valley USA, and I thought it would be fun to attend. I sat through a presentation by Dr Alpers, in a room full of pHd's and research scientists on Mercury's affect on the watershed. Dr Alpers seemed pretty confident about his "prowess" and there was a high level of respect of him shown by everyone in the room. There was a comment he made- something along the lines of "curiously, the larger amount of mercury is found at the 3000 foot elevation of the Sierras- which actually happens to be UPSTREAM of most of the big hydraulic mines in the state, and we really haven't figured out the source of this". After the lecture, I made my way up to him and asked him if he lived in the Sacramento/foothills area and if he was familiar of the topography of the region. He looked at me as if I had 3 noses and 5 eyes, and responded Yessssssss....????. I asked him if he ever watched the local weather news channel and he also responded in the affirmative. I then asked him had he ever noticed that the largest amount of precipitation usually fell at Blue Canyon. At this point I noticed he was tiring of my questions and gave me the "yeah, so what" look. I then suggested to him, "do you know what elevation Blue Canyon is?". No.... was his reply. I then suggested to him it was near the stated 3000 foot level and possibly why he was seeing elevated mercury levels at that elevation was because of Oreographic Lift; in other words, as the clouds are being pushed over the mountain range, the mercury and other pollutants (and water) is being squeezed out of the clouds and deposited in the watersheds at that elevation. He looked at me rather quizzically and said "I never thought of that". Go figure. Apparently when they teach you to be a top rated mercury scientist, they neglect to tell you about weather patterns and meteorology.

And this guy is a top rated scientist? I would think that would be the FIRST thing he would consider. Air Pollution.

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read it from the state, download the fact sheet: SWAMP Report on Contaminants in Fish from California Rivers and Streams | San Francisco Estuary Institute It is entitled "Fact sheet summarizing the findings of the Survey". It says the only place where there is a potential problem for methyl mercury is in the delta (and probably at the bottom of dams in the sediment) where there is warm, anaerobic environments (no oxygen). If you know anything about dredging, the dredge introduces oxygen to the stream environment, so the suggestion that methyization takes place in a mountain stream is a bit of a reach.

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It needs to be seen by all miners, John Q pulbic. It exposes these green groups for exactly what they are. TV, radio, facebook, blogs, chatrooms whatever.

On December 12th the Western Mining Alliance received the
final report on the Department of Interior’s investigation into the
activities of Dr. Charles Alpers of the US Geological Survey.
In response to a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) filed by
the WMA, and a follow on request for an official investigation the
Department of Interior published the results of their investigation.
Dr. Charles Alpers, of the US Geological Survey (USGS) was
the lead mercury researcher for the water quality section of the
2011 Suction Dredging Environmental Impact Report (EIR). He
was responsible for collecting the data, and preparing the analysis
for the California Suction Dredging Environmental Impact Report
which concluded suction dredges were linked to high
methylmercury levels in wildlife.
He further stated there was only one year of testing data to
rely on.
In 2013 the WMA submitted a FOIA requesting all data
related to sampling of mercury on the South Yuba River, the same
location the suction dredge study took place. The information we
received proved over five years of data existed from research
funded by the Bureau of Land Management, and conducted by –
Dr. Charles Alpers.
When we evaluated all of the data we found there was natural
variability from year to year in mercury levels in wildlife, and the
levels of mercury in insects appeared to be directly linked to the
size of the spring flood. When we viewed all of the data there was
no linkage between mercury levels and dredging activity which
was in direct contradiction to Dr. Alpers’ findings.
The WMA submitted a request for an official investigation
alleging scientific misconduct over the withholding of the data set.
We met with the Department of Interior in June and discussed our
concerns.
Last week the Department of Interior provided us with their
report and it provides some stunning revelations.
The lead mercury researcher on the suction dredging EIR was
also a donor and member of The Sierra Fund. The Sierra Fund is
the organization which claims responsibility for developing the
legislation which banned suction dredging. They have publically
admitted they are opposed to suction dredging and they claimed
credit for writing the legislation which resulted in SB 670, the initial dredging ban.

Well ..... I am shocked , dismayed and taken aback by this course of events .
The very notion that respectable people and elected employees would engage
in such deplorable conduct is unsettling to say the least .
I think I will have to write a letter to the commander in chief and urge him to
request the attorney generals office launch an investigation into this matter
of impropriety in the great state of California . Not to worry folks .

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ah, so the USGS is out to get you because they have an "agenda." What exactly do you believe this "agenda" is, since it appears you believe it isn't really about public health and safety? Do you think they are running the chemtrail program?

Where did somebody accuse the USGS ?

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Huh? The scientists are attacking us?

The report correctly pointed out that in that specific area, dredging releases as much human-introduced mercury into the waterways as rain does. That means the mercury added to the environment from human activities over the past 130 years is not being sequestered, and dredging doubles the rate at which human-introduced mercury is getting into the water.

Stating a basic fact is not "attacking us."

Which would you rather have in your drinking water: one cup of **** or two?

" Human introduced " ???? It would be amusing to see some of the university level " GENIUSES " try to
demonstrate that .

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love seeing hysterical conspiracy mongers as much as the next guy, but please look at what some of you are writing. Good gods!

The mercury in the area came from gold miners: it did not magically appear along the rivers and stream beds by an act of the gods. The burning of coal, which dumps mercury, spreads that mercury everywhere down wind---- not along streams, which is one of the many reasons why we know where the mercury came from: miners.

Dredging in some areas removes some of the sequestered mercury into the water: as much as rain does.

The land we mine belongs to everyone, not just us miners; the water we use belongs to everyone, not just us miners. When we work a mine, we are doing so on land that belongs to everyone: we do not have the right to poison the water.

Why is that not obvious?

Scientists merely stated the facts: they did not make any political opinions on the subject; they did not further any sinister Oh My Gods There's A Black Man In The White House agenda. The scientists merely pointed out the fact that everyone's properly (water) is being poisoned by some of us miners.

If you object about what the scientists have stated, write a paper on the subject and submit it to a science journal for peer review and publication: correct the flaws you believe the scientists made.

Sheeeish. And people call *ME* paranoid.... :-)

Just out of curiosity ........ you are aware that the element Hg ( mercury ) is not man made ..... right ?

OP
OP
Oakview2

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Takoda, it would appear that gentleman thinks that you when you fire up a dredge it instantly as a by product of running ,spews out mercury. Our claims had some legacy minning done back in the day, and it starts our with nothing in the box, and when you hit a hot spot, it sure turns silvery.

Attachments

• Cold water gold 001.JPG
    Cold water gold 001.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 103

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Man, I so want to see this in the main stream media! This isn't all about mining, this is fraud and corruption at a level that effects all citizens of this state. I'm so tired of important issues not getting out to the general public, only serving to die a short two or three day death/rant as it scrolls down the page. This needs exposure! Ideas? Connections? Take a look at that picture of the stacks of envelopes sent to the court system. That was just us miners and they listened. if we start the same type of effort directed at this topic and others, maybe we can get it snowballing out to the general public. Like the letters to the court we need some guidelines and direction something to put us all on the same page. Folks will send out letters if they know they are saying the right thing. Me sending my Rep or BOS a letter with my viewpoint doesn't get the attention or carry the weight of all the Reps. getting a well written fact based inquiry backed by a thousand constituents as we've seen . Unless they think the guy down the hall is reading it as well, it won't go anywhere.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oakview2

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Read it from the state, download the fact sheet: SWAMP Report on Contaminants in Fish from California Rivers and Streams | San Francisco Estuary Institute It is entitled "Fact sheet summarizing the findings of the Survey". It says the only place where there is a potential problem for methyl mercury is in the delta (and probably at the bottom of dams in the sediment) where there is warm, anaerobic environments (no oxygen). If you know anything about dredging, the dredge introduces oxygen to the stream environment, so the suggestion that methyization takes place in a mountain stream is a bit of a reach.

The introduction of small amount of selenium into a waterway, quickly and easily transforms methyl mercury back to elemental mercury. This is done in the pacific rim as a matter of Fact. All fertilizers are sold with a small amount added, the rains wash these residues into the watercourse and the mercury returns to its elemental form. It has been suggested that a couple of bales of hay grown in selenium rich soil, spread over the Combie containment lake, would solve all methyl mercury concerns. But this is not a question of what is fact, this is a witch hunt of how all these green facist can line up at the trough and take our tax dollars under the guise of saving us. Somebody needs to go to jail, and nothing would tickle me more to SF and gang being lead off by the baliffs.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The introduction of small amount of selenium into a waterway, quickly and easily transforms methyl mercury back to elemental mercury. This is done in the pacific rim as a matter of Fact. All fertilizers are sold with a small amount added, the rains wash these residues into the watercourse and the mercury returns to its elemental form. It has been suggested that a couple of bales of hay grown in selenium rich soil, spread over the Combie containment lake, would solve all methyl mercury concerns. But this is not a question of what is fact, this is a witch hunt of how all these green facist can line up at the trough and take our tax dollars under the guise of saving us. Somebody needs to go to jail, and nothing would tickle me more to SF and gang being lead off by the baliffs.

There you go again getting all common sense and stuff again. By the way isn't that the same Selenium that is naturally in our bodies doing the same task?

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be bringing this issue to our Governor on the next Mike Rosen show he is on. I'll put it out on the airwaves for all to hear in Colorado.

I'll explain exactly what happened, and ask him how we can keep this sort of public fraud out of our state. I'll name names.

OP
OP
Oakview2

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup, found in most multi vitamins

There you go again getting all common sense and stuff again. By the way isn't that the same Selenium that is naturally in our bodies doing the same task?

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dr Ralston, the Mercury Scientist that WMA brought in from N Dakota, said you can neutralize the mercury contained in a whole lake with one bale of hay grown in a selenium rich soil. One more time, a single bale of hay will neutralize all the mercury in a whole lake. Boy, wouldn't that single fact rain on the SF parade........

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I lived closer. I would love to put this discussion to bed by organizing a sluice party in which the miners using sluices could remove enough of that bad stuff in one week then the, what do you guys call them, greenies, have in what years!!!!
I personally believe that we as Americans have had our rights tromped on to many times and it is time we join together and speak in one loud voice instead of just spouting off on forums. I would love to see a movement of miners, and prospectors sweep the country again as our forefathers did. We would be known as the 15'ers. lol

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I so want to see this in the main stream media! This isn't all about mining, this is fraud and corruption at a level that effects all citizens of this state. I'm so tired of important issues not getting out to the general public, only serving to die a short two or three day death/rant as it scrolls down the page. This needs exposure! Ideas? Connections? Take a look at that picture of the stacks of envelopes sent to the court system. That was just us miners and they listened. if we start the same type of effort directed at this topic and others, maybe we can get it snowballing out to the general public. Like the letters to the court we need some guidelines and direction something to put us all on the same page. Folks will send out letters if they know they are saying the right thing. Me sending my Rep or BOS a letter with my viewpoint doesn't get the attention or carry the weight of all the Reps. getting a well written fact based inquiry backed by a thousand constituents as we've seen . Unless they think the guy down the hall is reading it as well, it won't go anywhere.

If we can put together 50 to 100 miners that would be willing to put up some cold hard cash I know just the people to hire that would love to investigate this & also get it out in front of the public. 35 years experience & they know how to get it done, I don't think the Dr, would survive the beatdown that they could bring.

OP
OP
Oakview2

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
How much would it cost????? Are you talking PI or media???

If we can put together 50 to 100 miners that would be willing to put up some cold hard cash I know just the people to hire that would love to investigate this & also get it out in front of the public. 35 years experience & they know how to get it done, I don't think the Dr, would survive the beatdown that they could bring.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread