What do you guys use for moving big rocks and boulders? Making a "bouldering" kit

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What do you guys use for moving big rocks and boulders? Making a "bouldering" kit

I'm looking into making a little "boulder" kit for those rocks that are too big to move by pry bar and hand. I'm also not very good at judging the size and weight of these rocks.. I saw a nice little formula somewhere online that was basically: L'xW'xH' x 170lbs = mass in lbs / 2000(for tons) Basically the rock/s im looking to move are about 6'x3.5'x1.5/2ft, basically right around 5-7Klbs. or 2.5-3.5 tons. But its also where they're positioned that makes a pry par ineffective in addition to not being in a safe spot, and the even worse tragedy of ending up in the hole im tying to clear in the first place :tongue3: Maybe im over estimating my rock because I havent measured it, but i also like to give a little bit of a safety margin so i try to overestimate. Especially moving heavy objects.

I will say one thing first. Cables freak me out. Not in an omg im going to run away.. But in a, I have a very healthy respect for what they are capable when things go wrong sort of way :notworthy:

That being said I'd PREFER to try and use chains(which i realize aren't that light, but most of my trips aren't more than a 1/4 mile from a car) because when they break, they kinda drop instead of the good ol cable whip. Having trouble finding a cheap come along or cable winch at the moment.

Straps - Most straps that have tighteners on them are rated at 2Klbs or under, and the 2Klbs ones are $$$. BUT i will be using these normal straps for anchors and reach:
for normal trees
Erickson 4 in. x 6 ft. Tree Saver/Tow Strap - Tractor Supply Co.
for those slightly nicer anchors/double wrapping/or extra reach
Traveller® Winch Strap with Shackle, 2-1/2 in. x 12 ft., 10,000 lb. Capacity - Tractor Supply Co.
and for wrapping rocks for now, 1-2 of these. i'm going to try and get some sort of liner(possibly used fire hose?) to put on the straps where it rubs the rock
Reese Towpower® Tow Strap with Loops - Tractor Supply Co.

Now to the cable part I dislike. Sometimes you just can't beat the prices for the budget builds but an 8Klb cable winch from HF... I extremely dislike being near the cable that im cranking on being the weakest link in the "chain." I don't have the luxury of being able to afford power winches, and i'm trying to keep it as portable as possible as well. But it does have some decent reviews as well for being pretty reliable and moving decent sized objects.
8000 Lb. Cable Winch Puller

I have thought about putting chain in there somewhere that is rated at saaaay 6,000lbs, 2K less than the winch. That way, if something breaks, its hopefully the chain.

My biggest problem is inexperience. I was able to take a Rescue Systems 1 class where we moved 10,000lb slabs of cement around on bars and things like that. But we never did any sort moving heavy objects with anything other than very heavy duty chains and chain come along systems that were built like a tank. So I dont have experience moving heavy rocks out of holes. I've watched a fair amount of videos and spent most of the night/and morning :BangHead: researching as much as I could but that doesn't cut it when I'm working under a rock that can potentially roll on me :icon_silent:

Thats where you guys come in :thumbsup: Learning from others experience can be VERY valuable :notworthy:

Whats the average size boulders/rocks you guys move? What do you guys use to move them and whats the rating on said equipment? Any recommendations and safety tips? What do you guys think about said posted equipment for this little "boulder" kit?

Thanks!

Sunshine :sunny:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
An interesting video here guys on moving heavy stone.

I watched this video and used one of his methods yesterday. I had two 80+ pound rocks leaning against each other and ultimately in my way. I found I could move them with a pry bar, but only an inch or so. There were plenty of rocks around so working from one side to the other, I gained ground by plugging the widening gaps with the right size rock. Everything was progressing nicely...side to side when all of a sudden everything bound up tight. There was a third rock at the bottom in the way. I had to take some of the tension off before I could move it. After I did, I was able to resume my progress till gravity took over and they rolled off. Worked GREAT! Took all of 5-10 minutes and I didn't have to go back to the truck for the rock stuff. TYVM for posting Red James!:occasion14:

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like my Sierra Blaster :evil6: flattened some boulders last week in my driveway.

Yes!! Why move them when you can blow them up!!!
I wonder if you could make a few bucks...just showin' up and blasing rocks?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions