vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Until a member pipes in - take a look at Sub-Forums: Texas for information directly related to your state.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
LCRA(Lower Colorado River Authority-highland lakes) will stop you and tell you not to do it. Don't know about Llano. People do it at will. May be illegal. Other places? Don't know. Contact Texas Land Office...

thundherr

Mar 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi officerturner,
a great question about dredging in Texas.
i was looking for the same information when i came across a link to your question on this sight today. (march 4th 2017)

i have not bought a dredge yet and the laws that i have found seem to be a detour-ant to dredging in Texas.

there is a permit titled Sand and Gravel Individual Permit
the link is https://tpwd.texas.gov/s?q=river+dredging

the fee is $500 for individuals dredging, $1200 if you are selling the sand and gravel. read the application for permit before dredging, i may be wrong about the pricing. its worded like a lawyer wrote the application. lol

Sand and Gravel Individual Permit Application
Instructions
This is a complete form set for applying for an Individual Sand and Gravel Permit, including a checklist of the Attachments and Supplemental Materials required for an application to be considered administratively complete. An application that is not administratively complete will be returned unprocessed.

A. Fees

The application processing fee for an Individual Sand and Gravel Permit is $1,200 [31 TAC § 69.114(a)(1)] if the sedimentary materials are for sale (revenue permit), and $500 [31 TAC § 69.114(a)(2)] if the materials will not be sold. Fees are required for renewal applications.

Application processing fees are nonrefundable, even if your application is denied.

Please make your check or money order payable to Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.

B. Section I: Applicant Information (line numbers 1 – 8)

1. If Applicant is an individual, provide the Applicant’s full legal name. Provide the entity or company’s name if it is a d/b/a, partnership, or corporation. If the Applicant is a governmental entity, use the agency name, and include the parent political subdivision. For example, if the Applicant is a municipal water department, give the name of the city as well as the department.

2. Provide the Applicant’s physical mailing address. If you use a P.O. Box, it will not be possible for the Department to use a commercial overnight express service.

3. Provide the Applicant’s business telephone numbers, including any applicable cellular and telefax numbers.

4. Provide the Applicant’s Comptroller’s ID number or Federal Employers Identification Number (FEIN). This is necessary to track payments from revenue permits.

5. If the Applicant has a current permit for the same site and is renewing that permit, fill in that permit number.

6-8. If an agent, consultant, or attorney is acting on behalf of an Applicant, fill in his or her name, address, telephone and fax number. The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department will contact the agent before contacting the Applicant.

C. Section II: Location of Proposed Activities (line numbers 9 – 14)

9. Provide the name of the river, creek, bayou or other water body where the dredging will take place.

10. Provide the name of the county or counties where the dredging will take place.

11. Provide the name of the nearest city or town to the dredging location that has a post office. If the city or town is in a different county, please state that fact.

12. Provide the name of the nearest upstream road crossing (bridge or low-water) from the dredging location and state how far away it is from the proposed dredging location.

13. Provide the name of the nearest downstream road crossing (bridge or low-water) from the dredging location and state how far away it is from the proposed dredging location.

14. Provide the United States Geological Survey 7½ minute Quadrangle Map number of the proposed dredging location. You are not required to provide a copy of the USGS map. You are required to provide a copy of the county map for the area of proposed dredging.

D. Section III: Description of Proposed Activity (line numbers 15 – 24)

15. Provide a narrative description of the proposed activity including a description of the methods and equipment to be used.

16. How much sedimentary material (in cubic yards) will be removed from the streambed during each month of the year?

17. How much sedimentary material (in cubic yards) will be removed from the streambed during each year?

18. What will be done with the removed sedimentary material?

19. How much of the streambed surface area (in square feet) will be disturbed?

20. When will the proposed removal operation begin?

21. How long will the operation take, once removal begins?

22. What measures will be taken to minimize the harm to aquatic and riparian habitat within the state-owned streambed during, and after, the removal operation?

23. Do you have, or are you relying upon, a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (COE) Permit? If so, what is the permit number?

24. If you do not yet have a COE Permit, when did you apply for one and which COE office is reviewing your application?

E. Section IV: Public Notice and Requirements (line numbers 25 – 30)

25. Public notification of an individual permit application and a subsequent public comment hearing are required. To coordinate this between the Applicant and the Department please identify the newspapers that will be used for the public notice and provide their mailing addresses, telephone and fax numbers. For individual permits, the notice requirements are in 31 TAC § 69.105. Public comment hearing procedures are governed by 31 TAC § 69.106.

26. Provide on preprinted mailing labels the names and mailing addresses of alongshore property owners on both sides of the stream or river for one-half mile above the highest upstream portion of the removal operation and one-half mile below the lowest downstream portion of the removal operation. If a parcel of property has multiple owners, list all of them.

27. Commission rule 31 TAC § 69.108(c) requires that new applications include a Sedimentation Impact Assessment study for the portion of the river proposed for sedimentation removal. This has already been done for the lower reaches of the Brazos River. If your application is for any other river in the state, such a study must be approved by the Parks and Wildlife Commission and completed before a permit may be issued. This study and assessment must be completed at your own expense.

28. Are you applying as a Texas corporation? If so, you must provide a written statement from: (a) the Secretary of State called a “Certificate of Authority”; and (b) from the Comptroller a “Certificate of Account Status” (“Certificate of Good Standing”), which states that the corporation is not delinquent in any tax required by Tax Code chapter 171.

29. If you are not applying as a corporation, list the full names of all of the equity owners of your business.

30. If this is a renewal of an existing permit, are there any proposed changes to your permit? If so, please describe them.

REMEMBER TO SIGN AND HAVE NOTARIZED THE SIGNATURE PAGE. THANK YOU.

thundherr

Mar 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i forgot to mention that i called my local game warden today to verify if this permit "sand and gravel permit" is required for an individual just wanting to dredge as a hobby and he said yes it is required.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think you should go back to ask if what you are doing is really "dredging" since you aren't removing yards of material, just your cons...the rest goes right back where you found it (more or less).

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Make friends with a land owner and have at it. Stay under 5" nozzle and at least 100 ft from any bridge. I dredge Texas all the time never had any issues. I run a 4" Proline. The gold can be tiny and scarce but every now and then I hit a good spot ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488718846.005054.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488718924.359743.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread