Do I need a Recreational Permit in AZ?

Frghtshkr

Apr 23, 2013
Gilbert AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Cube, Royal Mini Highbanker, Angus Mackirk sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was out on one of the GPAA claims yesterday Wickenberg area, where I always go pretty much. I had a great time and found a little gold but I have a question. I ran into a couple of guys real nice and we swapped some stories.

They asked if I was a GPAA memeber which I am. they also asked if i had a "Recreational Use Permit" and I said I never heard of it. They said they hadnt either but were told by someone else they needed one last time they were out. So they purchased one at $ 15.00 per year.

I mentioned to them it doesnt say anything about this in the GPAA book and they said they couldnt find it anywhere either. has anyone heard of this? $ 15.00 wont break me but I dont like just giving money away.

Thanks

Upvote 0

dashriprock

Jan 18, 2014
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster Vsat
Tesoro Diablo Umaxx
Garrett CXIII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
when a person joins the gpaa he gets 2 cards. one is his membership card and the other is his "recreational use permit". why they even have this is beyond me! Im not even sure if they still have this in their membership! I quit them 5 or 6 years ago and haven't looked back!

I realize Russ posted this in Jan. but I thought I would mention....I became a life member of the GPAA years ago and always got 2 paper cards usually around Nov or Dec that were good for the following year. Earlier this year I still hadn't received my cards and asked on the GPAA forum on their site if anyone had received their cards yet or not. I was contacted by Paul that manages the web page and he told me to send the GPAA my name, address, membership number, phone number and my drivers license number. I replied back to him wondering what the heck they needed my drivers license number for? He said they are now issuing a plastic card and never did say why they needed my drivers license number. All he said was they needed all the information in case they needed to contact me. ??? Never had a problem before...they always had my address.

Since I have no fax machine I copied my drivers license on a friends copier and sent that along with all the information and about 2 weeks later I received a black plastic card. Just one. Says on the back....As an active and current Lifetime Member cardholder, you are permitted to access any and all active* GPAA claims and leases listed in the GPAA Claims Club Mining Guide.

Don't know if only life members get this plastic card or if everyone gets one but I thought I'd post the info.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
For being a free country we have a lot of rules....................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread