Todays run with Gold Hog Mats, Love them Love them!

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Raptor Highbanker, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher F70, Bazooka 36" Sniper, Gold Cube, Gold Vac Pac, Pans & Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just can't stop talking about these gold hog mats, they are GREAT, I have used miners moss and vmat and few other types of matting... Never got so much fine gold and packed in as well as these hog mats trap the fine gold and the good size flakes... LOVE THEM LOVE THEM " Once you try hog mats you won't go back to anything else "

SchoolofHardRocks went down to my claim this weekend and we got around 7 grams with these hog mats...

I run my highbanker about 4 days a week and runs about 14 feet of hog mats.... these pics are just the first 6 inches of the mats... fronthogmat.jpg sidehogmat.jpg

Now I am getting spoiled, if I do not get 4 grams in one day of digging I am not happy.... Got to love this hobby! :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jvan

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Raptor Highbanker, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher F70, Bazooka 36" Sniper, Gold Cube, Gold Vac Pac, Pans & Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What pump are you running, electric?

Gas 16,000 GPH / 266 GPM Trash Pump, but run it much lower than that...

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
runs quiet, couldn't even hear it in your vid.

OP
OP
jvan

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
runs quiet, couldn't even hear it in your vid.

Yeah that is because the pump is on the lowest setting, turtle speed, and still pushing out around 5,000 gph.... does not use much gas and not loud at all...

Only problem is the pump is near 100 pounds and is huge so it was not easy to take it down... It might never come off the claim...

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Dredge, M-7 wave table, Prospector Highbanker MD20
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are correct sir. Powered equipment above the vegetation line only. But...I have a beach sluice lined entirely with deep V ribbed mating. I would like to modify another with Hog mat. Run them side by side.

That's good news. I thought it was no powered equipment West of Hwy 101. I'd like to see your Beach Sluice set up. Gold Hog has a stream sluice now that comes with two mats. I wonder if that low velocity mat would work on those small streams feeding into Ocean. Not much pitch on most of them. Would be a game changer really.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just can't stop talking about these gold hog mats, they are GREAT, I have used miners moss and vmat and few other types of matting... Never got so much fine gold and packed in as well as these hog mats trap the fine gold and the good size flakes... LOVE THEM LOVE THEM " Once you try hog mats you won't go back to anything else "

SchoolofHardRocks went down to my claim this weekend and we got around 7 grams with these hog mats...

I run my highbanker about 4 days a week and runs about 14 feet of hog mats.... these pics are just the first 6 inches of the mats...

Now I am getting spoiled, if I do not get 4 grams in one day of digging I am not happy.... Got to love this hobby! :)

Nice set-up, and nice pictures of the gold in the mats.

It's nice to know you're doing so well, and thanks for the tips on the mats.

All the best,

Lanny

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's good news. I thought it was no powered equipment West of Hwy 101. I'd like to see your Beach Sluice set up. Gold Hog has a stream sluice now that comes with two mats. I wonder if that low velocity mat would work on those small streams feeding into Ocean. Not much pitch on most of them. Would be a game changer really.

Doc has a thread (Goldhog forum "Black beach sand") giving info on working beach sand, what mats to use and the order of the mats. I don't know if I'am allowed to link another forum or not? I do know every beach box Ive seen was at least 10" wide and 5" long or more. And that what is all my research has told me also. So my next project is a sluice box blank 10" by 5' with the recommended Goldhog mats. I watched a Goldhog video where Doc used washer mat and tried to blow the black beach sands, and other concentrates out of the sluice, 99% +/- of the black sand.... gone!

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics... might have to steal some of them. :)

Black Beach sands are one of the toughest things to work due to hydraulic equivalence.
(I'm going to re-edit that older video and post again soon.)
Some good videos to watch on beach sands are the ones that Ray posts as they work the beaches
and have tons of black sands and nothing but 50 - 300 mesh gold.
When running beach sands... you really almost have to double the sluice length to keep the
same feed rates up. Just a lot of the same (hydraulically equal) material fighting over the
same capture zones. Mat selection gets a little crazy on them.

Yes, sluice length is determined by feed rate, not so much efficiency, due to incremental processing.
(I'll try and find that link later.)

Doc

mofugly13

Jan 30, 2015
San Francisco, Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Doc has a thread (Goldhog forum "Black beach sand") giving info on working beach sand, what mats to use and the order of the mats. I don't know if I'am allowed to link another forum or not? I do know every beach box Ive seen was at least 10" wide and 5" long or more. And that what is all my research has told me also. So my next project is a sluice box blank 10" by 5' with the recommended Goldhog mats. I watched a Goldhog video where Doc used washer mat and tried to blow the black beach sands, and other concentrates out of the sluice, 99% +/- of the black sand.... gone!

I couldn't find the thread you are talking about on the Gold & Gem forum. Could you PM me the link?

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one of Rays, it's more fun to watch than anything.

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ray's videos are great, he's such a upbeat guy. And the cleanups are awesome.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Doc, dry cons into a wet system?? To me that's Scary! Ive seen (through a demonstration) by adding dry cons to a wet system the gold floats out . I always add wet cons to a wet system. BUT your results were great! and I really like your sluice set up BUT Id like to see a larger flair on the hopper to make it more accessible for shoveling in the material! BUT you did show "proof in the pudding" on this video!

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc, dry cons into a wet system?? To me that's Scary! Ive seen (through a demonstration) by adding dry cons to a wet system the gold floats out . I always add wet cons to a wet system. BUT your results were great! and I really like your sluice set up BUT Id like to see a larger flair on the hopper to make it more accessible for shoveling in the material! BUT you did show "proof in the pudding" on this video!

Yes, I know. Until recently my rule was always the same.

We put a few design elements in the Multi Sluice that most people don't even realize, and that is one of them.
But I do discuss it often. Because the feeder box is opposite (not flowing with the water) and because of what
happens at the top, you can CONFIDENTLY feed dry cons. It's EXTREMELY turbulent at the top and the water
has to turn "back under itself" which 1) kills all surface tension and 2) forces all material to submerge.
We also kept the feeder system fairly small to keep that water as deep and violent as possible.
Then the mat is always CURVED at the top making that violent water very fast on the top 2-3 mats.
When you shut down they will basically contain pure gold, and as he water slows further down, you'll have a
little more black sands. Of course this is all with the washer mat step.

This is what the top mat looks like at shut down.

multitop.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread