Rock tumbler/cons crusher

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I made a rock tumbler to crush super cons using an old inkjet printer...got the idea from a Facebook post. Right now I have some magnetic cons tumbling with a rusted piece of old drive chain, an old railroad spike and some steel rods. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420568109.802222.jpg you basically just remove all the plastic casing and paper guiding surfaces and all the electronics. This leaves you with the metal frame with drive motor/gears and rollers. I then stripped the ends of the wires running from the drive motor and twisted them to the ends of the wires from the original power supply. The idea is really simple although the disassembly process took a while to figure out.
Here's the 5 gal bucket full of plastic from the disassembly.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420568173.054602.jpg i removed all the metal for recycling of course.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No but all they showed in the original is what I've shown here. No assembly required except twisting the power wires together. Otherwise it's all just removing stuff :)

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
way to think outside the box:thumbsup: still enjoy my impact mill for drywasher cons

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I aspire to make an impact mill but this was free ;)

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How about loading with a mixture of ball bearings. Probably less overall abrasion of the cylinder and the weight of each bearing and those on top of it concentrates in one small spot to break down the brittle pieces of non gold. Speed it up and the bearings may actually rise up the side then fall down to add crushing force.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How about loading with a mixture of ball bearings. Probably less abrasion of the cylinder and the weight of each bearing concentrates in one small spot.

Yes, just gotta scrounge some up. For now I just grabbed some iron junk off my workbench...stuff found in the river while prospecting of course.

Also I'd like to add a baffle inside the barrel to force more tumbling. Have to figure that out...the guy on FB used a Folger's container since that has handles molded into it which would work as baffles so I may try that. Problem there is the Folgers lids don't screw on, guess I could duct tape it :)

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, just gotta scrounge some up. For now I just grabbed some iron junk off my workbench...stuff found in the river while prospecting of course.

Also I'd like to add a baffle inside the barrel to force more tumbling. Have to figure that out...the guy on FB used a Folger's container since that has handles molded into it which would work as baffles so I may try that. Problem there is the Folgers lids don't screw on, guess I could duct tape it :)

Faster speed will pin the media to the side then gravity will let them fall. Same same.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another thought for lifting vane/s. A row or two of closely spaced screws through the cylinder will create a lift too. Probably create leaks too so need to carefully seal.

Last edited:

PaulieNoNuggets

Dec 21, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been trying to figure out a quick and easy way to build a tumbler, AND I happen to have an old printer out in the shed.
Thanks Kevin!

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice.
You could put a section of ribbed matting coiled inside, that may lift the media and keep the plastic drum from wearing out.
I have used ball bearings and they work well, large ones are best, stainless ones wont rust on you
or you could use 3/4 nuts

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Why not just run a long bolt through it, and add a big fender washer on either end and a wing nut? If you want to really agitate things bolt or screw a paddle to the long bolt. If you're working it dry, BBs are relatively cheap. They don't work well with wet media since as soon as the plating is gone they rusty up everything.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why not just run a long bolt through it, and add a big fender washer on either end and a wing nut? If you want to really agitate things bolt or screw a paddle to the long bolt. If you're working it dry, BBs are relatively cheap. They don't work well with wet media since as soon as the plating is gone they rusty up everything.

Old thread but...
1. Thru research and testing (in a diff thread) we learned a rod mill in a simple drum is best.
2. By running the rotational speed at the right rate you don't need paddles or anything to agitate the rods, they ride up the side and fall/roll down quite efficiently.
3. The debate continues on running dry vs. wet. Personally I like dry.

On a personal note, I'm not actively doing this right now since I don't have a workshop these days. Feel free to share your own experiments here :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread