Juneau to Skagway Alaska area

49erjohn

Mar 21, 2007
Hello Miners, I have a goal of owning a gold claim in the Juneau to Skagway Alaska area. I have been doing my homework and I am finding out that the gold is not too good in this area, I found out that in the past they just went through this area to get to the gold fields. Has anyone prospected in this are enough to let me know how the gold is? Am I waisting my time? Thanks JOHN

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres Gold near Juneau. mostly hardrock. Its gonna be hard to research with out being there. Alaska is a totally different kinda place.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldwasher, your comment about "Alaska is a totally different kinda place" - from my limited experience up there it is so much more rugged than anything I approached in Northern California. The mosquitos in AK are killers as well as all of the other flying/biting bugs there. The back country is densely populated with trees and brush making it very hard to get through and some consider it to be very uncomfortable, psychologically, to be out in it. Then there are the bears and moose that will eat you or stomp you. Is this what you were referring too?..................63bkpkr

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Miners, I have a goal of owning a gold claim in the Juneau to Skagway Alaska area. I have been doing my homework and I am finding out that the gold is not too good in this area, I found out that in the past they just went through this area to get to the gold fields. Has anyone prospected in this are enough to let me know how the gold is? Am I waisting my time? Thanks JOHN

Yes, you are wasting your time. Unless you live there why have a claim there? Get a good gold claim in an active gold mining region of which there are plenty to choose from in Alaska. If you just want a place to be able to go too when you want to vacation then just buy some land around there and don't bother with filing a useless claim.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last year, I spent a week around Haynes Junction in the Yukon, which is on the Canada side of where you are interested. There are a whack of good spots on that side of the border, but unfortunately for miners, there is now the massive Kluane park. I don't know if this makes sense, but if the areas on the US side are open to claiming, look where they found gold on the Canada side before there was a park, with the assumption that gold does not respect a border drawn on a map and might in fact also be present outside the park in the US where you can claim?

My best advise for somebody new to an area is to spend some time there. You would be amazed what you can learn in the local bars or while camping in a gold area, for the cost of a beer and how much info is available from the various folks you end up talking with in your travels - - very few of which can be found on a forum.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had never seen or heard of the Cobra Rock Crusher but after looking at it online, I love it.:thumbsup: Way too pricey for me but if someone were to give or loan me one I would love to crush up a bunch of quartz pieces or other mineralized rocks that I check but usually reject while out prospecting.

Last edited:

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had never seen or heard of the Cobra Rock Crusher but after looking at it online, I love it.:thumbsup: Way too pricey for me but if someone were to give or loan me one I would love to crush up a bunch of quartz pieces or other mineralized rocks that I check but usually reject while out prospecting.

I built a little one similar to the Cobra Crusher, not much to them. Fortunately I have a machine shop, most people don't. Probably be able to put one together
with a welder, sawzall and a drill press... It doesn't need to be pretty, it just has to work.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/hard-rock-mining/443600-process-making-small-rock-crusher-i-hope-works.html

Then there is always the tube and rod crushing method. Which works, but gets old really fast... You can mickey mouse one together with pipe from down at the hardware store.
I find it kind of amazing that rocks crush so easily... My Dad was crushing them by putting a rock down on a piece of paper, cement trowel on the rock.. Fold paper up to contain
crushed rock, then hit it with a hammer.

15776426265_9cf8c97620_c.jpg

About 20 seconds of banging..
15777980712_75f8d89d5e_c.jpg

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I built a little one similar to the Cobra Crusher, not much to them. Fortunately I have a machine shop, most people don't. Probably be able to put one together
with a welder, sawzall and a drill press... It doesn't need to be pretty, it just has to work.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/hard-rock-mining/443600-process-making-small-rock-crusher-i-hope-works.html

Then there is always the tube and rod crushing method. Which works, but gets old really fast... You can mickey mouse one together with pipe from down at the hardware store.
I find it kind of amazing that rocks crush so easily... My Dad was crushing them by putting a rock down on a piece of paper, cement trowel on the rock.. Fold paper up to contain
crushed rock, then hit it with a hammer.

15776426265_9cf8c97620_c.jpg

About 20 seconds of banging..
15777980712_75f8d89d5e_c.jpg

I like the portability but you are definitely right about other cheaper options.:thumbsup: Now, where did I hide my hammer, short section of pipe and steel rod?:laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread