Anyone ever made or bought a Vortxrex Dryland Dredge Nozzle?

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Raptor Highbanker, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher F70, Bazooka 36" Sniper, Gold Cube, Gold Vac Pac, Pans & Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am looking at ways to move more dirt, Seams with help I can't get more than about 2-3 yards moved in a given 6-8 hour day of digging... Came across the Vortxrex Dryland Dredge Nozzle, Wanted to see if anyone ever made or bought a Vortxrex Dryland Dredge Nozzle? If so how well do they work?

I have already ordered a 2 inch Hydro Dry land nozzle that will be good all the way around to move dirt, but also looking for other options to add to my setup... Anyone?

Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Yep I have one and I use it on my 4 in. dredge for the past 8 (?) years. it works great and Dave Frank sells info/prints on making one for yourself!

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Currently, the use of any motorized vacuum or suction dredge equipment in any river, stream, or lake in California is prohibited by statute, as it has been since August 6, 2009. (Fish & G. Code, § 5653.1, subd. (b).)

Reading together Fish and Game Code sections 5653 and 5653.1, and CDFW’s definition, the use of any motorized device to directly vacuum or suction substrate, sediment, and gravel as part of a mining operation in any river, stream, or lake is currently prohibited in California. The use of any motorized vacuum or suction device to assist in the extraction of minerals as part of an instream mining operation is also prohibited. Likewise, it is unlawful to possess a vacuum or suction dredge in or within 100 yards of any river, stream, or lake. (See Id., § 5653, subd. (d).)

Careful! Watch your P's and Q's

OP
OP
jvan

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Raptor Highbanker, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher F70, Bazooka 36" Sniper, Gold Cube, Gold Vac Pac, Pans & Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Currently, the use of any motorized vacuum or suction dredge equipment in any river, stream, or lake in California is prohibited by statute, as it has been since August 6, 2009. (Fish & G. Code, § 5653.1, subd. (b).)

Reading together Fish and Game Code sections 5653 and 5653.1, and CDFW’s definition, the use of any motorized device to directly vacuum or suction substrate, sediment, and gravel as part of a mining operation in any river, stream, or lake is currently prohibited in California. The use of any motorized vacuum or suction device to assist in the extraction of minerals as part of an instream mining operation is also prohibited. Likewise, it is unlawful to possess a vacuum or suction dredge in or within 100 yards of any river, stream, or lake. (See Id., § 5653, subd. (d).)

Careful! Watch your P's and Q's

I am aware of this and within the law...

OP
OP
jvan

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Im not worried ! I don't goto Cal. theres lots of other places to dredge closer to home!!
Thanks Russau, I just was wondering how well the nozzles work, sounds like they work well.. What kind of pump are you running with it?

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never made OR bought one :) But I have used Dave's along with him and he used my son Abe when they were working together at an outing we had 10 years ago. It works great!
DSCF0037.JPG DSCF0040.JPG DSCF0041.JPG DSCF0043.JPG Photo0.jpg

OP
OP
jvan

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice might order the kit one of these days..

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Jvan..... Did you get your nozzle yet? How is it working out. I am thinking of going the same route after they lift the moratorium so I have been keeping an eye on this thread.

OP
OP
jvan

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not yet but soon I will have it...

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
The kit Dave is selling over on ebay is very detailed and could be modified to what ever size device you want. all you would need to figure out is the orfice opening sizes. I made a "cute little " 2 incher for my light weight dredge but never got to use it up at bill_saf' location! and over the Winter (when Im up-n-round) I plan on making a 5 inch nozzle for a 5 inch subbie to try out! Why is it that when I feel the worst , I want to do the most?

Last edited:

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just bought the CD's and templates on eBay. Technically, from what I've seen on youtube, it is probably a well thought out design winner. The only complaint I've got is the sound track... his voice is being overpowered by some lousy elevator background music. I would have done a newer, complete voice over on those tracks.

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If by hydro dry land nozzel You mean the hydroforce I bought a HF250 and it works better than advertised. I am pleased with mine I dredged a 6x12 inch hole in my mud and gravel driveway in about 30 second before I sucked the horse trough dry, lol. That was with 20 feet of hose and a 3 foot lift on both suction and discharge ends. It had excellect suction and moved the material easily. I am very excited to put it full use in a creek somewhere. It's a shame I got new neighbors this year. I always planned to dredge the creek next to my place for practice, now I have the dredge but I also have neighbors for the first time ever.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If by hydro dry land nozzel You mean the hydroforce I bought a HF250 and it works better than advertised. I am pleased with mine I dredged a 6x12 inch hole in my mud and gravel driveway in about 30 second before I sucked the horse trough dry, lol. That was with 20 feet of hose and a 3 foot lift on both suction and discharge ends. It had excellect suction and moved the material easily. I am very excited to put it full use in a creek somewhere. It's a shame I got new neighbors this year. I always planned to dredge the creek next to my place for practice, now I have the dredge but I also have neighbors for the first time ever.

I'm glad the nozzle you bought is working for you. I'm still interested in the one you can build yourself.

Well, as for the move-ins, that certainly could complicate things unless you get them hooked! Here's to a new case of gold fever for the neighbors.

All the best, and I watched the videos on the Vortex and it does look very interesting,

Lanny

Beav

Mar 22, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
VLF
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Does anyone know if Dave is still making these and/or still selling plans/kits on Ebay, like he used to?
I did a search on Ebay for 'Vortxrex dredge nozzle' and didn't get any hits.
Does Dave still check TNet on occasion? I would like to buy some plans.
Beav

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know if Dave is still making these and/or still selling plans/kits on Ebay, like he used to?
I did a search on Ebay for 'Vortxrex dredge nozzle' and didn't get any hits.
Does Dave still check TNet on occasion? I would like to buy some plans.
Beav

Yes -as of this writing- he still does make these plans/kits but I think his gold projects has taken back of his activities list, he's more into acting and singing than into (inventing) new toys for the gold miners :dontknow:

But you can still find his plans on this page:

Vortxrex Dryland Gold Dredge 4-inch Nozzle Instructions Patterns DVD Kit | eBay

Last edited:

vortxrex

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just bought the CD's and templates on eBay. Technically, from what I've seen on youtube, it is probably a well thought out design winner. The only complaint I've got is the sound track... his voice is being overpowered by some lousy elevator background music. I would have done a newer, complete voice over on those tracks.

Yes the sound is horrible, I had to cover the audio from a radio that was playing. That video is now almost 20 years old, and the video was the actual build of the nozzles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions