Northern California prospecting

nate s

Oct 22, 2013
ca
Detector(s) used
Whites,Le trap,Gold Hogg sluice,bed rock tools
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just moved from Southern Cal to Northern Cal.I need to go and tear up some ground,was thinking of trying Bear River public area or Mineral Bar on Thursday.I moved to Santa Rosa ,so it will be at least a 2 hour drive.If anyone is willing to meet up and do some sluicing or bed rock popping that would be great.I figure the water is way too cold to get in it,so I think Ill try moving some gravel on the banks or something.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

nate s

Oct 22, 2013
ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is the Bear River public area located on Ben Taylor Road?Never been there looking for directions,thanks

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At mineral bar go up on the n. Side about 1/8 mile to the trail take the trial for about a mile to the large gravel bar, good for sluicing. Work on the sides of the holes already dug. The bear River open area is off of plum tree road. You can prospect up and down on the river from the parking lot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nate s

Oct 22, 2013
ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank You for the info!

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We're up in that area. Haven't driven down to the Bear though. Mostly the Yuba.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is the Bear River public area located on Ben Taylor Road?Never been there looking for directions,thanks

Big giant no mining signs off Ben Taylor Rd as you get near the river. Do not know who put them there or their validity but there is more than one on the road nailed to the trees.

OP
OP
N

nate s

Oct 22, 2013
ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I want to head to the Bear River campground area for a few hours of digging next week.I checked online,and some website said it was closed over the winter.Is that true?I would hate to drive 2 and half hour to find out I cant sluice some dirt.Any issues I should know about?Any parking fees or b.s I need to know?Any regulars let me know.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The campground is closed meaning they put rocks in front of the camping areas but you can still park there. I think the last time I was there that they may have a day use fee now but it will be on the sign at the north end or upstream side of the campground. So it's not open for camping but day use and mining is fine.

OP
OP
N

nate s

Oct 22, 2013
ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Reed.I love your videos Reed,Ive learned so much from watching.I would love to come dig with you and your crew!

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
If you dig the bear, you'll fnd gold. It is all very small stuff. Make sure your not dgging in somone elses tailing, or you'll get skunked. Sluices work well there as you need to move a lot of gravel. Last time me and my buddy was up, we modfied a wheel barrel to classify it fast, then roled the fines down to the water.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can park on the North end near the bathrooms, no fee. Do not cross over the river to the left bank private land. Go upstream at least a half mile or better to find bigger gold and more. Plenty of exposed bedrock. Easy trail hike. Good luck. Most gold is fine .

OP
OP
N

nate s

Oct 22, 2013
ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks guys for the info.Cant wait to finally get out and dig,its been a year since Ive been out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions