For all Claim owners....Who are tired of claim jumpers............Karma..........

cliff162

Greenie
May 24, 2014
california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a decent claim on a nice section of river, unfortunately the access was very easy, lots of fisherman, swimmers, etc. Which was no problem at all... However despite the numerous signs.......some 3' x2' advising that it was a registered claim and no prospecting was allowed, etc. etc.

It was a constant battle almost daily with running people off, trying to sluice, metal detect, etc. Always an excuse........... even some younger guys wanting to fight.....

So for the fun off it, I got some gold paint, and made some nice gold on some 30 to 40 quartz boulders down on the river..........and put trail cams on the path leading down ......... I would be gone only one or two days, and the boulders were gone........... It was pretty funny to look at the videos of the thieves carrying the worthless boulders 1/4 mile up the trail.

Time after time, different people carrying away the boulders.........I started putting the quartz with "gold" in different sizes around, with the gold not showing, so you had to be looking to find it.......... but they kept disappearing..........

Had one couple repeatedly coming down, climbing the hills taking gold............sometimes two and three times a week...for months....... even when I happened to be there, but farther down the river, so I did not see them until I checked the cameras. Must have 20+ videos of them on separate days digging and removing quartz rocks......

If I had caught them there, I would have had them arrested, as I had several other claim jumpers. But had nothing to ID them by.

Finally got fed up with the BS dealing with the claim jumpers, and decided to sell the claim.......... Just wanted my money back that I paid for it, which was significant......So just put the price way up as with selling anything, to negotiate down...............the price was more than twice what I paid for it........

No calls for a week............... got one call finally, a guy really excited..... couldn't wait to buy it............. didn't even make a counter offer........
I only posted claim for sale, never said a word about finding any gold or you might find nice gold.......nothing.........just claim for sale.

Two days later I met the guy and his wife...............same people I had on all those videos........... I said nothing about it, sold them the claim, they handed me a nice cashiers check for more than twice what I paid for it..........we will just say multiple thousands of dollars more than the original cost...........

They were beaming ear to ear when I gave them the deed........... I said enjoy your claim......... and ran to the bank, the check cleared.....I was beaming ear to ear........
Would like to be a fly on the wall when they to in to sell the "gold"

Upvote 0

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It was pretty funny to look at the videos of the thieves carrying the worthless boulders 1/4 mile up the trail.
Post some for us, i like a good laugh
what trail cam did yu use?
i find members of Comstock Gold Prospector on my claim all the time, I ask them if they have a a PLP Card if so they can pan and sluice on the bench/beach, they have yet to produce a card

OP
OP
C

cliff162

Greenie
May 24, 2014
california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
claim jumping.PNG I used a Tasco 5mp trail cam (I don't think they make that model anymore) but the 3mp would do fine I am sure. Don't put it on a tree you will loose it. Leave the strap off cover the infrared flash with some black tape.................

go on Amazon and buy some " Individual Camouflage 6 Color Desert Sniper Netting" it is about $9 for a 8' x 5' piece, cut out a piece of that and wrap it around the camera....... pull it snug around the front of the camera........ it has 1/8" holes in the cloth.......

when it is snug covering the lens and motion detector, it does not interfere with the photo, it does not show up at all (unless the sun happens to be on it from an angle).......

Just put it in some rocks or brush............cover up around the edges with leaves, pine needles ...... whatever.. It is practically invisible. I have gone back to retrieve a camera, that I had left out for several weeks.......and thought it had been stolen...... took me 15 minutes to find it..........

try not to have branches or weeds sticking up in front, the wind will set off the motion detector.........

I have attached a photo, just a random claim jumper, he had picked up a piece of quartz with gold on the other side of the trail, then moved over to a spot between two trees to stuff it in his backpack, he was about 2' from the camera.......... This is just a snippet from the video, but you can see how clear the picture is even though it is covered with sniper cloth.

OP
OP
C

cliff162

Greenie
May 24, 2014
california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
april 17.PNG

This guy's got about a 20 pound boulder, he is carrying up the trail, can't pull your pants up when it takes to hands to carry your gold.

Trapper John

Dec 29, 2014
St Helens, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hilarious. Ingenious. As well written as executed.

I am an avid watcher of the TV show "Prospectors" and after watching what those folks endure in their quests for gemstones and crystals I go quietly nuts when they are visited by claim jumpers. Some the prospectors have taken to carrying and I don't blame them one bit. There are simply too many people walking this planet today, thinking either that they're entitled to do whatever they want or worse yet, not thinking about others at all.

This is why I carry a big, ugly blade when DTing. It is also why I am secretly rooting for Ebola.

Trapper John

Dec 29, 2014
St Helens, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He probably will. He'll sell it on fleabay advertised as realgold50%off to another fool. There is no end to stupidity in the times we live in.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1106645 I used a Tasco 5mp trail cam (I don't think they make that model anymore) but the 3mp would do fine I am sure. Don't put it on a tree you will loose it. Leave the strap off cover the infrared flash with some black tape.................

go on Amazon and buy some " Individual Camouflage 6 Color Desert Sniper Netting" it is about $9 for a 8' x 5' piece, cut out a piece of that and wrap it around the camera....... pull it snug around the front of the camera........ it has 1/8" holes in the cloth.......

when it is snug covering the lens and motion detector, it does not interfere with the photo, it does not show up at all (unless the sun happens to be on it from an angle).......

Just put it in some rocks or brush............cover up around the edges with leaves, pine needles ...... whatever.. It is practically invisible. I have gone back to retrieve a camera, that I had left out for several weeks.......and thought it had been stolen...... took me 15 minutes to find it..........

try not to have branches or weeds sticking up in front, the wind will set off the motion detector.........

I have attached a photo, just a random claim jumper, he had picked up a piece of quartz with gold on the other side of the trail, then moved over to a spot between two trees to stuff it in his backpack, he was about 2' from the camera.......... This is just a snippet from the video, but you can see how clear the picture is even though it is covered with sniper cloth.

LOL Thanks Cliff will look into this great suggestions

titan100

Nov 12, 2014
Norco, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cliff that would be great the larger size nuggets your new claim owners found please I will pm my address
. LOL again great story but sorry for all of your troubles you had.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hopefully one of your lucky prospectors will make a thread showing off their awesome finds lol.

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a industrial construction electrician for many years.

I did a lot of cadwelding.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exothermic_welding

The slag from this process has a lot of small metal beads in it after you bond something that looks just like gold nuggets.
on jobs i would collect 5 gallon buckets of this slag just for the metal beads.

I used these to have fun with claim jumpers on my desert claims by spreading them around in the claim jumpers holes.

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
I'd say wait a while and get a hold of them and see how they are doing? Maybe you could buy it back for what you got it for. Make money and have it as well. Then paint more boulders, advertise again, sell for twice. Never ending. What a concept.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had some fun with the guys at work with some brass slag from sand casting. The weight is nice and heavy, it's soft and the color is real good. They all know I mine and love to rib me about it. So one day I walked into work real nonchalant threw a handful of slag nuggets on our lunch table and said some comment like who's laughing now. Shoulda seen the jaws drop and the eyes pop out as i walked away. I kept them on the hook all day long, not one of em figured it out and they sure developed a keen interest in gold mining.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread