For all Claim owners....Who are tired of claim jumpers............Karma..........

cliff162

Greenie
May 24, 2014
california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a decent claim on a nice section of river, unfortunately the access was very easy, lots of fisherman, swimmers, etc. Which was no problem at all... However despite the numerous signs.......some 3' x2' advising that it was a registered claim and no prospecting was allowed, etc. etc.

It was a constant battle almost daily with running people off, trying to sluice, metal detect, etc. Always an excuse........... even some younger guys wanting to fight.....

So for the fun off it, I got some gold paint, and made some nice gold on some 30 to 40 quartz boulders down on the river..........and put trail cams on the path leading down ......... I would be gone only one or two days, and the boulders were gone........... It was pretty funny to look at the videos of the thieves carrying the worthless boulders 1/4 mile up the trail.

Time after time, different people carrying away the boulders.........I started putting the quartz with "gold" in different sizes around, with the gold not showing, so you had to be looking to find it.......... but they kept disappearing..........

Had one couple repeatedly coming down, climbing the hills taking gold............sometimes two and three times a week...for months....... even when I happened to be there, but farther down the river, so I did not see them until I checked the cameras. Must have 20+ videos of them on separate days digging and removing quartz rocks......

If I had caught them there, I would have had them arrested, as I had several other claim jumpers. But had nothing to ID them by.

Finally got fed up with the BS dealing with the claim jumpers, and decided to sell the claim.......... Just wanted my money back that I paid for it, which was significant......So just put the price way up as with selling anything, to negotiate down...............the price was more than twice what I paid for it........

No calls for a week............... got one call finally, a guy really excited..... couldn't wait to buy it............. didn't even make a counter offer........
I only posted claim for sale, never said a word about finding any gold or you might find nice gold.......nothing.........just claim for sale.

Two days later I met the guy and his wife...............same people I had on all those videos........... I said nothing about it, sold them the claim, they handed me a nice cashiers check for more than twice what I paid for it..........we will just say multiple thousands of dollars more than the original cost...........

They were beaming ear to ear when I gave them the deed........... I said enjoy your claim......... and ran to the bank, the check cleared.....I was beaming ear to ear........
Would like to be a fly on the wall when they to in to sell the "gold"

Upvote 0

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Coffee shot out my nose. Thanks for the laugh, they got just what they had coming.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well at least they had a lot of it. Hopefully they have time to battle other claim jumpers before their expensive lesson sets in.:laughing7:

Not a bad way to know if someone is pokin around though.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They have to be thinking to themselves, who would have painted a rock way out here? LOL

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Cliff. Poetic justice.Waite till they try to sell their boulders.

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
:laughing7: Had to put down my pot pie so I wouldn't choke laughing!

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hilarious-nearly fell off the couch laughing!

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is awesome, absolutely priceless. After a year or so you should mail them a copy of the videos you have of them and a picture of you painting up the quartz, -wrap the box in thumbs up winking smiley face paper.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I'd say they got what was coming to them. People that do not take the time to understand the laws or just don't care about them should reap what they sow. Many a miner has had to deal with highgraders and claim jumpers since man started mining. We have laws that are designed to protect the rights of miners to the minerals on/in/under their claims. Since mining claims are almost always on federal land many a local sheriff isn't going to care if some one is taking rocks. Depending on the situation and your mood, if you really want to nail people that are stealing off of your claim, contact the local U.S. Attorneys office with the info on the culprits.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The U.S. Attorney won't be able to help you Jeff.

Higrading (mineral theft from a mining claim) is a matter for local law enforcement. Usually the Sheriff and the County Prosecutor.

The only complaints of mineral theft the U.S. Attorney (Justice Department) will prosecute are complaints of theft of U.S. minerals by a federal land management agency. U.S. Marshalls do the enforcement for that crime.

Mineral theft from the United States is a Federal crime.
Mineral theft from a claim owner is a State crime.

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

titan100

Nov 12, 2014
Norco, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cliff you owe me a new tablet I just spit out soda all over mine laughing. Way to go to bad you didn't have the cameras on the claim still it would funny to see them still looking for gold boulders.

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should put an ad on craigslist advertising this spot as a free access claim full of nuggets.let them fight these punks over gold paint.

treshuntintom

May 24, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story,thanks.I have several claims here close to Wickenburg Az.Same basic problem,posted with all the proper signs,etc.Had one gentleman(????)even tie pink
streamers in trees back to rear of claims.all you TNET people have great weekend.Tom

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
I agree. Great story indeed. How many years do you suppose it will take them to recover their losses, if it is even possible?

OP
OP
C

cliff162

Greenie
May 24, 2014
california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
titan100............ Since I wrecked your tablet, how about I send you some "Gold" to make up for it.........................

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That must be some great paint to be so real looking. Was it the stuff used on picture frames or what? I would like to try the same thing. I hope you did not paint it on rocks that actually contained gold. LOL

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is hilarious if real. I would have had to fight back laughter through that deal.

OP
OP
C

cliff162

Greenie
May 24, 2014
california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Placergold.............. Walmart, in the craft section small bottle $1.78 but made a whole bunch of gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread