Property tax does not entitles one to the benefits of law enforcement, either.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup....definitely the "land of fruits and nuts".
Jim

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oregon Law States
ORS
§ 164.075¹
Theft by extortion

(h) Use or abuse the position as a public servant by performing some act within or related to official duties, or by failing or refusing to perform an official duty, in such manner as to affect some person adversely; or(i) Inflict any other harm that would not benefit the actor.
(2) Theft by extortion is a Class B felony. [1971 c.743 §127; 1987 c.158 §27; 2007 c.71 §48]

They should look into their local laws and see if they can file charges against the local officials.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish the Scarcias all the luck in the world with their unlawful detainer action.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Why oh why does this NOT surprise me? Growing up in the North San Diego area, I saw many of these types of camps. It usually takes pretty much an act of God to get rid of them and even then they just move over a short distance from where they're run out of and set up their camp again. In the town I grew up in, the stream-bed we used to play in as kids has been taken over by the homeless and drug dealers. If I was a parent in that area, my kids would be forbidden from going anywhere near that place now. And people wonder why I left California?

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelievable, the US constitution does grant equal protection last I checked and gives you the owner certain rights to protect your property.

57chevy

Oct 4, 2014
The West
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 D Looking to find enough to replace it.
Replaced it with a Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In point of fact, no one owns their land if they are a US citizen. Even if it is fully "paid off" you only have beneficial title to it. The bank retains the allodial title. That is why you have to pay property taxes. Rent on the land. That is why you are mentioned as "tenant" in the loan papers from the bank.

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We have the same problem up in my area. Homeless camps everywhere. We have shelters, but they don't go there because they can't be drug free. The property owners are the ones that have to clean up the trash and the people just come right back to a clean camp. If I had a lot of acreage like that I would invest in security dogs weren't privy bribery. Or, I would take them on walk a bouts (after posting many many beware of dog signs and deploying game cams) and drive out the people.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A man's home is his castle. So when some slug comes along and squats, that is his castle. The legal hoops that you have to jump through can be mind numbing and ridiculous.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd like to see what would happen if they squatted on State-owned land. You know what would happen on Federal land.
Jim

OP
OP
2cmorau

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can only hope that when this was writen on thier behalf the Scarcias got somemajor support from the locals, pay taxes and then have the local Guberment take a dump on you like this, just insane
time to lite a brown paper bag on the door step of these officals,

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mr Scarcia should call fish & game and tell there in there mining..... Mark Stopher and his boys will have them out of there in no time!

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is unbelievable, How in the world are they legally getting away with stealing someone's private property. It probably money, and the owner can't pay for attorneys. In this capitalist country, private property is the heart of capitalist and the government has a duty to protect that right of capital. They must have some big money opposing them,.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This story is from 1990. 25 years ago. I'm pretty sure there's more to the story.

The courts came through and evicted all the squatters by October 1994.

It's interesting to note that a bunch of wealthy folks live within a mile of where the squat was. Janet Jackson was one of those. It appears several of those wealthy neighbors were trying to keep the squat camp open. Cheap labor and a lot of pressure on the cops to leave the camp alone. You can do the math.

See... there was more to the story. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hitndahed, please keep politics out of forums per our rules..

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In point of fact, no one owns their land if they are a US citizen. Even if it is fully "paid off" you only have beneficial title to it. The bank retains the allodial title. That is why you have to pay property taxes. Rent on the land. That is why you are mentioned as "tenant" in the loan papers from the bank.

I never used a bank to buy my land... I just paid cash. No loan papers and no paper work from any bank. Pay county property tax.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread