Is mining dead in the United States?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Value of U.S. Mineral Production Increases

The estimated value of mineral production increased in the United States in 2014, despite the decline in price for most precious metals, the U.S. Geological Survey announced today in its Mineral Commodity Summaries 2015.

The estimated value of mineral raw materials produced at mines in the United States in 2014 was $77.6 billion, an increase of 4.6 percent from $74.2 billion in 2013.

The estimated value of U.S. metal mine production in 2014 was $31.5 billion, slightly less than that of 2013. These raw materials and domestically recycled materials were used to process mineral materials worth $697 billion. These mineral materials, including aluminum, brick, copper, fertilizers, and steel, plus net imports of processed materials (worth about $41 billion) were, in turn, consumed by industries that use minerals to create products, with a value added to the U.S. economy of an estimated $2.5 trillion in 2014.

I dunno... it sure looks like mining is thriving.

2.5 Trillion is about 15% of the GDP of the United States! :thumbsup:

Read the rest of the USGS Report Mineral Commodity Summaries 2015

Heavy Pans

Last edited:
Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could be more without the foot dragging especially here in our state as you probably well know. They either lock it up in National Parks and Monuments or keep filing suit to block current projects. Mining provided me and many of my friends and relatives a good life and now a healthy retirement. See the mantra below.

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Mining dead? While I don't ever see that happening just due to the demand for materials, I think that if certain uninformed groups had their way it would be. Like Arizau said.... It could better without all the blocking actions to many current projects.

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Arizona is at the top of the list of mining states.
In 2014, 12 states each produced more than $2 billion worth of nonfuel mineral commodities. These states were, in descending order of value—Arizona, Nevada, Minnesota, Texas, Utah, California, Alaska, Florida, Missouri, Michigan, Wyoming and Colorado.

Heavy Pans

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One would have to consider the term MINING and how that might be applied to the general public vs the large mining corporations. There is no doubt valuable mineral extraction may be alive and doing well; when the big corporations undertake MINING. When one gives consideration to the general public's ability to PROSPECT and MINE, we see a whole new realm of curtailment possibilities. All we need to do is look at the mining laws and history to see that the general public's (citizens or people wanting to be) ability to prospect for and extract valuable locatable mineral resources led to huge U.S. economic benefits. One must give consideration to the cuirrent increase values of minerals to understand that the increase $$$$ amounts might not be a representative figure of mining activity. Mining may have actually been diminished, but the $$$ value rose due to increased values.

One thing can be observed though! As long as the U.S. economy and manufacturing is dependent on mineral resources the mining laws should remain in effect...and any future Acts of Congress to protect the public lands administered by BLM or USFS will continue to have "Savings Clauses" protecting the right to mine locatable valuable minerals. It is obvious that knowledge of all the rules/regs/laws/policies will continue to be "obstacles of confusion" requiring expert knowledge by the miner. The IRS regs seems like a good example....as it is almost impossible for the average business person to decipher all the language/rules/regs. Thus we in business rely on accountants to help guide us through the mess. I believe such need will arise for the prospector and small scale miners: having experts help them deal with the agency oversight and such. Without such guidance the small scale miner is doomed to agency oversight where it should not apply.

I was just helping a fellow miner on the Land Matters (Library) sight wade through all the USFS regs and told him he needed to actually read FLPMA and rely on the law as opposed to simply relying on the CFR's and agency policies. When one reads the agency policies it is easy to get confused. The USFS immediately states that they ( the USFS) are to manage the Federally OWNED public lands. As I understand it the Government only owns lands such as Monuments or those lands they have acquired through purchase. So it becomes extremely difficult for the miner to understand when agency oversight applies and when it must cease to exist.

The miner and I were able to find FLPMA on "Land Matters" but I could not find the "1955 Multiple Use Act" and the "Organic Act" on Land Matters (at least where we found FLPMA)....so I'll forward further info to him.

Personally I struggle with the statement that mining is alive and well (thriving) in the U.S. I would say that the big boys (corporations) are the ones seeing to it that Congressman like Peter DeFozio of Oregon don't get their way and abolish the existing Mining laws; for what he considers to be outdated.

But thanks for the info: :occasion14:

Bejay

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DeFozio is a dandy. The older guys here will remember Dale Bumpers ,Sen from Ark. It was his mission in life to destroy mining. He was not very effective thank God but still a major PIA

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
how ABOUT Bruce Babbit, that was a train wreck we still feel today

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2c , you know Babbit's family are some of the largest land owners/ranchers in AZ . You would think the man would have had just a little bit common sense. Never can tell

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Never ceases to amaze me at the sheer level of stupidity that the eco monkeys preach. Go solar they say, well, here's a list of products that are MINED to make a solar panel.

http://www.mineralseducationcoalition.org/pdfs/Solar-Panel.pdf

Oh and let us not forget the toxic by products that come from the manufacture of those same solar cells. The greenies don't think of that either. They seem to think that these solar panels magically appear out of thin air!!!!

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was a great thread until people decided they needed to start bagging on solar technology...

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is why we should strive to be industry leaders in all manners mineral production. We are and can remain in the forefront of safe, clean production. It should be based on responsibility not regulation....That is what drive companies elsewhere...profit vs. responsibility is not the answer.

I have a question Barry is there a way to know incidents of fines and problems of foreign companies working hear vs. American?
I'm curious if those corporations that we(are dumb enough) to allow to reap the reward of our resources are more likely to break or not follow regulations vs. foreign entities? Just curious.

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mining is one of many "Natural Resource Bases" available in the United States. Unfortunately the land of "PLENTY" has adopted the "NIMBY" concept. The thread topic was brought forth; that mining is alive and well in the U.S.. More importantly it brought forth the discussion for the NEED for mining to occur. A valid discussion. It also brings forth the reasoning as to why the historical mining laws are still intact. The solar propagation requires the use of mineral resources. That posting brought forth an important fact: Much of what we require is obtained from mining in other countries. I noted China was a big contributor.

Clays post does mention a dollar amount, but not tonnage. Is tonnage up? Tonnage would indicate an increase in mining. Dollars do not.....as values increased due to the demand and a lack of easy availability.

I often give thought to the "NIMBY" and the "GREEN" movement. We live in houses made of wood or stone (some metal), we drive cars made of metal and plastic, and we wipe with paper. All requiring natural resource bases that we have plenty of. Yet the Pittsburg Steelers have no real merit anymore (no steel mills) (no iron mining). I would put it this way:

FORTUNATELY, BECAUSE WE ARE STILL DEPENDENT ON MINERALS IN THEU.S. THE MINING INDUSTRY STILL EXISTS. MINING COULD PLAY A MUCH LARGER ROLE IN OUR ECONOMY AND WELFARE IF THE "NIMBY" WAS NOT SO PREDOMINATE. THE POLITICAL WILL IS DETERMINED BY VOTERS, AND IT IS OBVIOUS MINING HAS STILL BEEN ABLE TO SURVIVE TO SOME DEGREE. "THRIVING" HAS DIFFERENT MEANINGS TO DIFFERENT INDIVIDUALS. THE THREAD TOPIC WAS POSTED IN THE FORM OF A QUESTION ??????.

NIMBY: "Not In My Back Yard" (which the Mad Machinist posting brought forth when one looks at where minerals are extracted)

Bejay

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
This was a great thread until people decided they needed to start bagging on solar technology...

NO ONE is bagging solar here UncleMatt. We're only stating that that you can't have solar without mining. If you go back and re-read the posts I think you'll see that. Mad and I were only pointing out that without mining the environmentalists wouldn't have their solar power in the first place. I was an industrial lab tech so I know what else is created when making solar cells. These are simple facts that the greenies never seem to remember to mention.

I'm currently developing a portable solar powered system for use in remote mining areas to make it so gas engines are not required to provide electricity. So to say I'm "bagging" solar is far from the truth.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I'm not "bagging" on solar. It has it place. Our "hunting cabin" is 100% solar. It's out in the middle of nowhere and difficult to find. Didn't want power lines showing where it is at.

But the fact of the matter is this, if it isn't grown, it is mined. That realization needs to be understood and accepted. Even with mandatory recycling programs we will never make enough materials to meet our needs. And anybody who thinks, believes, or pushes that aspect is living in fantasy land. It also shows one hell of a lack of critical thinking skills.

To "bag" on mining without showing people where the materials necessary to build things come from shows a level of immaturity that is not only detrimental to our future, it also shows a level of selfishness that is no different than those who wish to just "rape" the land without consequences or responsibilities to do what is right.

And I am not saying we need to run around willy-nilly and destroy everything to get ever last ounce of mineral wealth out there. Laws need to be in place to make sure that it is done right and proper reclamation is performed. We have the technology to do just that. ANYBODY whose says we can't do it, is either a fool or just plain lying to achieve an agenda.

If you think I do not understand the "toxic legacy" of mining I will tell you this. I grew up in Western PA dealing with Acid Mine Drainage all my life. I know all to well what happens when things are not done right. I was told back in the late '90's by a geologist that there was a million dollars a day flowing done just one river near where I grew up, We just had to find a way to get it out PROFITABLY. I now have a process working its way through the U.S. Patent Office to effectively treat the water and recover the minerals there.

The river in question was "dead" 10 years ago from AMD and now it has trout living in it. So instead of trying to "destroy" an industry based on crap science, how about we find ways to do it right.

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is why we should strive to be industry leaders in all manners mineral production. We are and can remain in the forefront of safe, clean production. It should be based on responsibility not regulation....That is what drive companies elsewhere...profit vs. responsibility is not the answer.

I have a question Barry is there a way to know incidents of fines and problems of foreign companies working hear vs. American?
I'm curious if those corporations that we(are dumb enough) to allow to reap the reward of our resources are more likely to break or not follow regulations vs. foreign entities? Just curious.

We are the example for clean mining in many countries. It wasn't always so. Mining is a much safer profession than it used to be. :thumbsup:

MiningFatalitiesDecreasedDramaticallyintheUS.png

I don't know of any foreign companies mining here. It is illegal for foreign citizens or companies to hold public land mining claims or mineral leases. There may be some small foreign companies mining private land somewhere but there are no foreign companies mining the public lands.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Clays post does mention a dollar amount, but not tonnage. Is tonnage up? Tonnage would indicate an increase in mining. Dollars do not.....as values increased due to the demand and a lack of easy availability.
Bejay

Well since prices are down and revenue is up I'd think tonnage would have to be up.

I checked - tonnage is up: :thumbsup:

minegrowth.png

Mining employment is rising: :thumbsup:

bls-mining-add-more-jobs.jpg

According to the forecasts released by the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, mining will be one of the top sectors adding jobs until 2022.
Mining even outpaces the hiring levels forecast for transportation and agriculture.
Mining ranks fifth according to its employment rate in this official forecast.

Heavy Pans

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Barry.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
a lot of our current socalled "representatives" have been pushing for "NOT IN MY BACKYARD" proposeals and wanting to have ALL mining done out of our Country! can you imagine what ANY mineral would cost us if that was done? as soon as some stupid idea as this would happen , ALL mineral produceing countrys would jack up the $$ they want for their minerals and we would pay through the nose for it all! Look at what they did to St.Joe lead mines or Doe Run (now one in the same) they were the worlds largest producer of lead. Now they have been forced out of the Country. LOTS of good Missouri jobs GONE! BUT lifes good in ole Misery , sooo they claim!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting thread!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread