Beginning a new year

MinerFortyNiner1952

Nov 18, 2013
San Jose, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
January marked the first time out to the claim for 2015 after a three month layoff
for the holidays on a surprising pleasant sunny Sunday morning. The drive in was
ordinary, experiencing only a couple of mud holes which four wheel drive dispatched
with ease. Previous years had shown the road prone to giant mud bogs which demanded
careful navigation.

Not knowing what to expect given a month of heavy December rains accompanied by
some strong wind events, we found the trail in surprisingly good condition with no
newly downed trees on the trail. Thought the water level would be lower since it
hadn't rained in almost three weeks.

We had previously discovered that our dig site was at the bottom end of a narrow
channel which turned slightly towards us and widened out at that point. The area
closest to the turn where we were digging had a bedrock prominence that blocked
the stream except for during extremely high flows (in my opinion) which would then
pour down over this area

d1 creek sire view.jpg

d2 digging here.jpg

d3 digging here2.jpg

d3a lay of the land.jpg

We started working the bank and the area under some exposed tree roots
thinking that maybe the roots would help trap some gold. Our first check of the
sluice revealed one small picker so that was enough motivation to continue.

d4 running dirt.jpg

d5 the hole.jpg

As we exposed some of the finer roots, we meticulously scrubbed off the dirt
and rocks that clung to those roots. In total, we ran about 20 2 gallon buckets
filled to 75%. At the end of the day, we did not discover any other pickers though the
mat did have some fines here and there. All in all, an awesome day, playing in the dirt.

d6 end of day.jpg

Cleanup at home in a sluice revealed a small amount of +50 pieces, and the -50 pay
we ran through a blue bowl. Watching the black sands spiral their way around
and out of the blue bowl, I did not think that the -50 would add up to much. Since
the black sand collects around the funnel in the center, the actual reveal wasn't
final until the last remnants of black sand departed. There, in the center, was a golden
ring of fine gold!!

d7 the goods.jpg

Did not weigh it but would estimate total haul was about .5 gram. So now, here
I sit, so stoked for the next time out. . . whenever the stars align. . . wondering
what we may uncover.

Upvote 0

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice report with great pics.
You have stoked a fire for me. I like 2 gallon buckets also if I use a 5 my friend fill's them to the top ( to dam heavy )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread