any experience out there with melting gold? I have a problem!

joncooper1986

Jul 31, 2014
Westhampton, MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 4.0 9" coil, 11" coil, WS4 w/ Detecting Doodads headphones, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi folks, so here's the problem.
I was melting down some scrap gold in a crucible...I pored myself an ingot, and there must have been some molten gold that didn't come out of the crucible. I found this out because after I made a silver ingot and noticed that there was a substantial amount of gold blobs in the silver ingot. Is it normal to not have all the molten metal come out of the crucible at once? As for separating the gold from the silver in the poured ingot, I am considering heating it molten and simply letting it cool in the crucible. My theory is that the gold (being twice as heavy) will stay at the bottom and then i can separate the two by cutting them apart at the seam. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When remelting, the two metals will instead form an alloy. A traditional way to separate them is to:
1. Melt the material
2. Dribble the molten metal into water making "corn flakes"
3. Put the flakes into acid (look up which acid yourself so you see the safety rules)
4. Remove the resulting solid gold pieces
5. Put copper into the acid to precipitate the silver, filter out silver powder
6. Put iron in to precipitate the copper, filter out copper powder
Neutralize acid and dump rusty water down the drain.

rlbaker

Nov 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did production casting for the industry for 25 years and I'm afraid you are out of luck trying to separate your blend of silver and gold. Next time you do a pour make sure you not only do a lot of swirling after you add your last bit of flux to clear any "crud" off the melt but that you poke and stir well with a graphite stirring rod, it is easy to have a not quite liquid spot in the bottom of the crucible. Good luck.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mr Baker is right about how easy it is to have a partial melt. Happily he can now learn how to separate the two metals via my post. And yes, I have seen this done successfully!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When remelting, the two metals will instead form an alloy. A traditional way to separate them is to:
1. Melt the material
2. Dribble the molten metal into water making "corn flakes"
3. Put the flakes into acid (look up which acid yourself so you see the safety rules)
4. Remove the resulting solid gold pieces
5. Put copper into the acid to precipitate the silver, filter out silver powder
6. Put iron in to precipitate the copper, filter out copper powder
Neutralize acid and dump rusty water down the drain.

Yep, simple applied chemistry. Love the simple approach.

OP
OP
joncooper1986

joncooper1986

Jul 31, 2014
Westhampton, MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 4.0 9" coil, 11" coil, WS4 w/ Detecting Doodads headphones, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys. I think I will do just that- disolve the silver from the gold with an appropriate acid. I am somewhat surprised to learn that once in liquid state and assuming I allowed the material to solidify in a crucible, that the gold wouldnt naturally rest on the bottom seeing as it it twice the density of gold. Is this because the molecular structure will have changed to create a compound/alloy? I only ask because in the ingots i poured it appears that the gold and silver kind of stayed blotchy and didnt mix together.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you use borax glass and saltpeter when you process you get a much cleaner product,enrich the kt and no other chemicals needed. Just a simple scratch test to determine the purity and sold-John

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The gold silver blotchy thing could be due to having a cold spot in the mix as the melting points of the two metals are different

scoy

Aug 25, 2014
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a lot of experience melting Gold and Silver. The metal will alloy , it will not density separate. Metal can get stuck in the crucible if the crucible is old and seen alot of use a ring can be etched into the the inside of the crucible due to flux erosion that occurs in the zone between the flux and molten metal. I have melted 1000's of of troy oz's of both Silver and Gold. However you can also have metal retained in the crucible if you did not flux the melt it may be dirty and it froze up while pouring.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread