Sluices...what do you use...

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
any kind of sluice from homemade to big company...i need ideas for my first sluice.....on a side note pans...i use the normal but im talking have you tried other pans

Oh this is such a loaded question and has been discussed time after time. Just yesterday a thread was closed by the mods due to the discussion of sluices. Find a club in your area and attend their meetings and find out what those are using cause your area may be entirely different what everyone here is purposing. You may find that building your own is best as you will get the satisfaction that you built it and save some $$$... You can spend $20.00 or $1000.00, you know what your budget can handle. 8-) Oh and that photo off to the left is my own sluice with Goldhog mats...

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh this is such a loaded question and has been discussed time after time. Just yesterday a thread was closed by the mods due to the discussion of sluices. Find a club in your area and attend their meetings and find out what those are using cause your area may be entirely different what everyone here is purposing. You may find that building your own is best as you will get the satisfaction that you built it and save some $$$... You can spend $20.00 or $1000.00, you know what your budget can handle. 8-) Oh and that photo off to the left is my own sluice with Goldhog mats...
Why do you always have to talk about GOLDHOG:laughing7:

specksandflecks

Nov 13, 2009
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AzViper makes an excellent point about getting general location info, what size of gold? If 90% of area gold is (for example) #12 to #100 mesh. Then at the very least you'll know what size classifiers to consider. Predominant gold size predicates recovery equipment! Always has always will, IMO. Unless maybe you are detecting.

And don't try to hand classify #100 mesh in the field. That sounds like something the government would want you to do, a teaspoon at a time/.

Hand Classifying smaller than about #12 tends to be considerably more time and labor. Running -12 through sluices designed for finer gold should give you decent results to maybe #50??, depending on gold purity, amount /type of heavies and maybe corey shape factor. You will know after a trip or 2 what size most of you gold is.

If you insist on using a larger classifier ~3/8+ put a #12 under it, dump the +12 into a plastic pan /tub then hit it with one of those garret pro pointer type things.

-Goldhog my .02 .See it mentioned a lot, I know hes put some effort into designing those riffles mats. He has yet to make a profile that intrests me though, so to each their own. The guy is motivated, productive, and hes trying a lot of different things. In a way, I think the small scale miner marketplace could use more like him. I see him less as a "1 trick pony" and more like the beginnings of another Angus Mackirk.

-Popanson sluice- You could damm near build one of those at Home Depot/Lowes.

Last edited:

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My two cents: For fine gold and little money, classify the material and a traditional sluice without riffles and just the expanded metal on top of miners moss is tough to beat. For more money, look at a gold cube.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AzViper makes an excellent point about getting general location info, what size of gold? If 90% of area gold is (for example) #12 to #100 mesh. Then at the very least you'll know what size classifiers to consider. Predominant gold size predicates recovery equipment! Always has always will, IMO. Unless maybe you are detecting.

And don't try to hand classify #100 mesh in the field. That sounds like something the government would want you to do, a teaspoon at a time/.

Hand Classifying smaller than about #12 tends to be considerably more time and labor. Running -12 through sluices designed for finer gold should give you decent results to maybe #50??, depending on gold purity, amount /type of heavies and maybe corey shape factor. You will know after a trip or 2 what size most of you gold is.

If you insist on using a larger classifier ~3/8+ put a #12 under it, dump the +12 into a plastic pan /tub then hit it with one of those garret pro pointer type things.

-Goldhog my .02 .See it mentioned a lot, I know hes put some effort into designing those riffles mats. He has yet to make a profile that intrests me though, so to each their own. The guy is motivated, productive, and hes trying a lot of different things. In a way, I think the small scale miner marketplace could use more like him. I see him less as a "1 trick pony" and more like the beginnings of another Angus Mackirk.

-Popanson sluice- You could damm near build one of those at Home Depot/Lowes.

Lol that was an inside joke based on azvipers closed thread reference.
Gold hog matts rule. They are in my power sluice and are leaps and bounds better than original recovery set ups. They catch all sizes of gold whitin one box simplify clean up. concentrate better, and are very well designed and made. You can run the same size boxes with more ability to fine tune flow and angle than traditional riffles and carpet/moss. That's my .03 cents

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread