goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I came across this photo on another site and it got me thinking. We as miners know that "If it's not grown, it's mined". I would like to challenge those that are against mining (or anyone else for that matter) to post pictures of products that contain no materials in their construction that are not mined in one way or another.

1925291_649345781767315_1422916157_n.jpg

Consider that the case is plastic which requires oil products to make... Mined by drilling
The metals for the contacts and USB housing... mined
The storage chip itself is made from silicon as well as other minerals... also mined
Even the ink used to print the logo on the case contains minerals that form the pigment had to be mined.

So I challenge anyone on this site to post pictures of products that contain components that are neither mined or grown. I'm willing to bet that it can't be done.

Upvote 0

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well we all know your right Rod. While recycling IS a good thing and I'm all for it, it can not meet the demand for materials which grows everyday. This is even more true since births outnumber deaths in the world today. Even if for some reason those numbers were to reach an even level, the availability of recycled materials would not meet the demands.

Bejay, I've got a case of "NIMBY" for ya here! The town I grew up in USED to have a thriving chicken ranching industry. Eggs, poultry for the markets etc. As the town started to really grow in the mid 70s, people started to buy up land next to the chicken ranches. Now we all know that the only thing that smells worse than a chicken ranch after a good rain is a hog farm at any time of year, but these people still bought land right next to the ranches. It wasn't long before they started complaining to the county board of health about the smell and the flies. The ranchers fought a good fight but soon ran out of money to keep the fight going. So they ended up having to close down and in many cases they lost everything. Only a few were able to convert their property over to another less objectional businesses. Maybe the Ranchers would have been better off to cry "NIMBY" on people moving next to their property? It just seems wrong to me that these people go and buy right next to a chicken ranch and then start to whine about the smell. If there was any justice in the world, the courts would have looked at them and said "Too Bad! You knew that the ranch was there before you bought the land!"

SO NOW.... back to the challenge.... Any more want to try to tackle it?

Same here Irishman , I know of large farms that were just doing well, until the people started buying land next to it, several years later they started complaining about "Mosquito" and fly's and the smells of bad air, lol. Needless to say the battle is over now, and the whole area is converted to a building area, still some of the farms owners get money as an exchange with part of the deal as land to build farms in another "remote" area !

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a challenge however its circular logic defies an winning answer. Anything made by man can be considered farmed, mined or any combination dependent on the materials and method of manufacture for the final product. The closest thought I had would be fishing with ones hand for salmon. The salmon is not farmed but it is harvested so can be considered mined. I extended the thought to all forms of hunting and gathering as these are probably the most primitive production techniques we use as a species. There are no answers. Even the comment on insemination can be considered farming~ regardless of the species~ as some form of husbandry is involved. Husbandry is a farming technique. Even mining comes to the fore as its a gathering of a resource.
I take it the original question was about materials but thought to share a thought.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
its a trick question. if its not grown that only leaves the material the earth is made of, witch would then be mined, take that away u have nothing... ok air is the correct answer

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok...Since no one has figured out the reasoning behind this little challenge I guess I'll go ahead and spill the beans. This was to show the enviro-wackos that hide on here that there are no products that they use in their everyday lives that are neither grown or mined. I know it was most likely a futile attempt to show them that their desire to stop mining is not in their best interest unless they really want to go back to living in caves since everything we as humans use falls into those two categories. Since we all know that they're NOT going to give up their cell phones, cars,computers or homes I hope that any of them that read this will at least think about the issue in a more realistic manner.

There is no reason that that mining and being green can't go together. It's only in the best interest of everyone that it does. Many in the green movement have the impression that all small scale miners are there for no reason other than to ruin the land and water. This is far from the truth of the matter since it's in the miners best interest to also be stewards of the lands and waters.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hehh :) Well you pretty much alluded to that when you put the challenge out. :) Problem is the green weenies cant think it thru that way as it goes against their mantra. But it was entertaining to kick the can in the littoral sense. Seeing the forest for the tree's... hahh!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread