goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I came across this photo on another site and it got me thinking. We as miners know that "If it's not grown, it's mined". I would like to challenge those that are against mining (or anyone else for that matter) to post pictures of products that contain no materials in their construction that are not mined in one way or another.

1925291_649345781767315_1422916157_n.jpg

Consider that the case is plastic which requires oil products to make... Mined by drilling
The metals for the contacts and USB housing... mined
The storage chip itself is made from silicon as well as other minerals... also mined
Even the ink used to print the logo on the case contains minerals that form the pigment had to be mined.

So I challenge anyone on this site to post pictures of products that contain components that are neither mined or grown. I'm willing to bet that it can't be done.

Upvote 0

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Was thinking maybe the material used in artificial insemination. Not sure, is that farmed or mined?

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Was thinking maybe the material used in artificial insemination. Not sure, is that farmed or mined?

ROFLMAO! I do believe pictures of those would be instantly flagged for removal by the Mods. Since the end product is living, I'd have to class that as being grown. The equipment to do the procedure is mined. So yet again we prove the "If not grown then it's mined" statement and it this case it uses both.

I'll give you an "A+" for unconventional thinking though Fowled.

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are 3 things that come to my mind air, water, sun. But we still can think of it as mined for solar, wind, hydro energy.

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I must make reference to a similar issue and the same approach. In Oregon; Timber harvest was one of the number one economic factors sustaining Oregon's economy. The "greenie" movement was against the harvest of trees off of Public lands administered by the USFS and BLM. While the arguments were being presented by both sides (Timber industry vs "Greenies") the argument was always made that the greenies lived in wood structured houses, and had wood items in their home.....and they even used the wood product industry products next to their toilets.

None of that mattered:...none of it countered their "anti aggression". So while the logic of the argument seems appropriate it is my belief that the "NIMBY" will remain constant.

"NIMBY": Not In My Back Yard. We will import that which we rely on....as we now do with timber and other natural resources. Then of course we will always hear that we must send our young men and women overseas to protect our interests (those being all the things we have but don't utilize here in the U.S.). We all know how that ends up lately!

Bejay

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The enviro-cretins truly believe that all our [nonfarming] needs can be met by recycling. The numbers just don't work however. These poors souls have been indoctrinated their entire lives.

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well we all know your right Rod. While recycling IS a good thing and I'm all for it, it can not meet the demand for materials which grows everyday. This is even more true since births outnumber deaths in the world today. Even if for some reason those numbers were to reach an even level, the availability of recycled materials would not meet the demands.

Bejay, I've got a case of "NIMBY" for ya here! The town I grew up in USED to have a thriving chicken ranching industry. Eggs, poultry for the markets etc. As the town started to really grow in the mid 70s, people started to buy up land next to the chicken ranches. Now we all know that the only thing that smells worse than a chicken ranch after a good rain is a hog farm at any time of year, but these people still bought land right next to the ranches. It wasn't long before they started complaining to the county board of health about the smell and the flies. The ranchers fought a good fight but soon ran out of money to keep the fight going. So they ended up having to close down and in many cases they lost everything. Only a few were able to convert their property over to another less objectional businesses. Maybe the Ranchers would have been better off to cry "NIMBY" on people moving next to their property? It just seems wrong to me that these people go and buy right next to a chicken ranch and then start to whine about the smell. If there was any justice in the world, the courts would have looked at them and said "Too Bad! You knew that the ranch was there before you bought the land!"

SO NOW.... back to the challenge.... Any more want to try to tackle it?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
various 026.JPG

arrowhead- not grown or mined

I love challenges, what do I win?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ohhh come on! I know of no mining in my area by the natives. they used what they found on or very close to surface

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never saw a pic of an indian with a miners helmet

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Even love and hatred is grown (cultivated) and mined. I don't think there is actually anything that isn't.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok, sunshine is not mined or grown

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If sun lite is not grown from reaction ( fusion ) then you have no sun lite so I would say Its grown.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
is it not understood that he means mined or grown by humans?

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL.... Hate to tell you but sunshine is mined via solar power which is dependent on mining too. No mining... No solar panels. Indians in different areas did mine and often traded with other tribes for items that were not available in their own areas. Granted it was usually placer type mining but it's still mining. Just because they didn't do it in your area.....

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yep, that you are right no matter the logic

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread