Bazookapple Express and the Skunk Lion!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been chomping at the bit to sluice a spot I sampled last fall below where I've gotten nuggets before. Theres quartz in some of the gold I'm still trying to decide if its undug material on the edge of handstacks or if its eroded from the stacks themselves. when I come across the material its very distinct and not like the material that's in the cracks actually in the waterway. When I find it in traps its pretty hard and shows really good chunky color.
Well. since we had this river of moisture coming in I knew there would finally be enough water to run my Bazooka. Between waves of rain I got out Saturday for about two and a half hours Sunday I got about an hour and fifteen minutes. I only ran about eight partial buckets maybe between the two days. This is an area that was originally dug by the Kanaka Hawiian Islanders that were here during the beginning of the goldrush. It was not reworked by the Chinese and during the depression work was focused on the rich pockets that are located on the ridges above. Like today the drainage only has water seasonally. So counting on water to placer mine was an issue back in the day which is a good thing for me. It made effective work sporadic. A modern prospector has more versatility dealing with the water situation.

I think the Islanders were looking over my shoulder especially on Saturday.

The day started out weird from the get go. I backed up my truck had put on my rubber boots I'm standing by my tailgate and I hear a couple tom's down below gobbling cool I'm thinking same ones I saw the other day same general area...spring season is coming up8-)

I went to close my driver door right as I leave the back of my truck and hear a young cat/kitten meowing sort of a help me I'm right here meow. I come back around fully expecting to see a wet lost cat as I am actually pretty close to houses. As I'm walking coming around I hear it farther down the draw at the edge of the tree but don't see it then no more meows and no more gobbles:dontknow:
I throw on my pack grab bucket and shovel and head into the trees so I can hit the old trail to the diggings. There is an old road That I have cleared I can cover the distance to the diggings in total silence and its below the modern trail. I have this feeling that I really need to pay attention today. Walking slowly scanning the understory listening to the awesome sound of a swollen creek.
Make it to my spot drop gear set up sluice no rain some blue patches of sky. Set up my sluice start opening up the hole I want to work.On my second bucket I'm working in a t-shirt rain still hasn't come in yet but, Its on the way.
I'm on my second bucket even though I'm running a bazooka the material is mucky and the water fast so I'm feeding with my Jobe scoop but, feeding quickly like a four minute bucket. As I'm feeding I catch a faint stale skunk smell...keep feeding check my self for scent lol I was damp and had my down vest on earlier which does need washed lol...I smell skunk again same stale old smell....
Now my mind is going over a conversation I had with a neighbor the other day and I will give some back story. This is in the area of my claim. Sometime in late December a mountain lion killed a skunk and added it to its deer kill stash pile there are numerous scrape piles on the ground and several tracks about three and a half inches across a young cat. My neighbor and I were talking about how this cat was gonna be ripe for a while. I wasn't sure of the wind direction so I chucked a couple cobbles upstream in a few directions....still feeding sluice skunk smell stronger...I don't like this I'm scanning every direction. I don't like my thoughts or the feeling.
I climb up higher on the bedrock near my hole . I catch the wind direction its coming from the direction my back was facing while I'm cleaning the hole out. I'm scanning and looking.....in this one area...hmmmm don't see anything I am looking over this one area for a good minute...I go to look the other way not fully turning around right as I turn my head .....BOOM right from the brush I was just staring at something LOW LONG BROWN AND FAST explodes from the bush and runs directly up the tailings coming down from an upper bench. It was fast quiet and 20 YARDS AWAY. It bolted from right next to the creek. It must have thought I was looking at it, it held fast until I saw me turn.
Muscle memory is awesome...I do not remember drawing my 1911 but, since it was out I popped off a few rounds into the bank near where it ran up after the second shot I heard more cobbles come down the hill fifty yards up farther. never did I hear the clumbsy thumping sound of a bounding deer. This was a ninja of the forest damned Catamount trying to sneak up on me glad he ate a skunk a month ago.
I wasn't freaked out my hair never stood up but, it was hard to keep my head into my work very well two more buckets the rain was coming in pretty good. I went home to freak out my wife. The next day I went back and dug a few more buckets never smelled a skunk. If its the same cat he has been seen a few times in the last month young about 50lbs and seen during the day several times....he's not gonna last long if he keeps it up.

Attachments

• IMG_0462 (600x800) (600x800).jpg
    IMG_0462 (600x800) (600x800).jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0466 (800x570).jpg
    IMG_0466 (800x570).jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0465 (570x800).jpg
    IMG_0465 (570x800).jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0456 (600x800).jpg
    IMG_0456 (600x800).jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0461 (600x800).jpg
    IMG_0461 (600x800).jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 0

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.

caprock

Aug 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and finds Goldwasher,
to stay safe and find rich diggins,' just stay "hidden in the chaparral"

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and finds Goldwasher,
to stay safe and find rich diggins,' just stay "hidden in the chaparral"
Good book I own it8-)

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then a few days later the business end of the skunk was on the bone pile kinda like " yuck wish I didn't have to resort to that"

:laughing7: that was funny

I admire you kept cool when the critter tried to inspect you ! :hello: must be young and fool to approach humans like that

Keeping an eye contact with these creatures will remind them you're on the watch out and not afraid. I think most animals has this strange "eye's language" thing, that we humans sometimes forget or don't care much about. It is an essential instinct for many creatures to survive .

Glad you made it back with a nice chunky gold !

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I expect that would intensify the senses a little bit . I know if I had a panther sneak'n around
trying to figure a percentage on my ass it would take my day up a notch .
Make a man feel alive . :headbang:

Nice Shine . :icon_thumright:

How about a Crocodile sneaking beneath the water surface while you're busy panning your cons at the rivers' bank ? :laughing9:

Or a shocking electric fish , charging the water in case you want to take a bath into the river ? I avoid going to suspicious areas , those known to be infested by such buggers , just in case .

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
People working in the jungles of India have a long tradition of wearing a hat with eyes on the back just like this to ward off the tigers. It is an accepted fact that this works Takoda.

I don't think they do that much in India nowadays Kevin . To many people with mask
have been attacked to buy into it anymore . They claim the Tigers got smarter and figured
out it was fake . I think they were wrong in the first place . I'll bet the Russians do too .

I read a couple of articles after I read your post . I liked this one .

Article excerpt :

The locals and government officials take certain precautions to prevent attacks. Local fishermen will say prayers and perform rituals to the forest goddess, Bonbibi, before setting out on expeditions. Invocations to the tiger god Dakshin Ray are also considered a necessity by the local populace for safe passage throughout the Sundarbans area. Fishermen and bushmen originally created masks made to look like faces to wear on the back of their heads because tigers always attack from behind. This worked for a short time, but the tigers quickly realized it was a hoax, and the attacks continued. Government officials wear stiff pads that rise up the back of the neck, similar to the pads of an American football player. This is to prevent the tigers from biting into the spine, which is their favoured attack method.

Article link : Tiger attacks and Man-eating | Tigers and Other Wild Cats

Beware anecdotal evidence and imperfect statistical data .

The conclusion that the mask even worked for a short time is flawed . Saying that x amount of people wearing
the mask were not attacked with Tigers in the area is not in itself proof the mask prevented an attack .
Saying that x amount of people not wearing a mask were attacked also proves nothing . How many not wearing
the mask that were not attacked seems to be thrown out of the equation in the original study .
One thing is clear . The fact that people wearing these mask ... have ... been attacked does prove they are not a reliable
deterrent against Tigers .

But I'll say it again ........... if it makes one feel more secure to wear these things .......... do it :icon_thumright: .

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How about a Crocodile sneaking beneath the water surface while you're busy panning your cons at the rivers' bank ? :laughing9:

Or a shocking electric fish , charging the water in case you want to take a bath into the river ? I avoid going to suspicious areas , those known to be infested by such buggers , just in case .

They got crocks in Florida ( american crocodile ) . We don't have them in Alabama , but we do get some
good sized gators now and then .

Half-ton Alabama Alligator Sets World Record

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Takoda, good to learn the eyes on back of head thing is a myth, thanks!

...does it work for gators? LoL, jk.

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell you what I feel one hundred percent fine with Cats, bears, and rattlesnakes......considering the amount of time I spend in and near the water....if there were crocs and gators....I might not be all that into sniping and dredging anymore....

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They got crocks in Florida ( american crocodile ) . We don't have them in Alabama , but we do get some
good sized gators now and then .

Half-ton Alabama Alligator Sets World Record

Now ya talking :headbang:
Ours are not that big but they are fearsome critters :BangHead: Combine their speed underwater with muddy river waters and imagine what's gonna happen , especially if you're close to their nesting areas :evil6:

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell you what I feel one hundred percent fine with Cats, bears, and rattlesnakes......considering the amount of time I spend in and near the water....if there were crocs and gators....I might not be all that into sniping and dredging anymore....

Goldwasher, gonna love those submersible Cutter-Heads diver-less dredges , they call it The Liberian Lady :happysmiley:

The custom retrofitted dredge, originally designed for river dredging in the USA, is being modified for use in the jungles of West Africa. (from their website).

Gold Mining Liberia

Let them Crocs seek shelter while you move tons of material per hour :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread