jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received this today, looks like they need all the miners to show up! Just getting the word out there, pass it along....

To: [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: Thursday's Hearing

Hello everybody,
Thursday, February 12, 2015, the House Agriculture & Natural Resources Committee will have a public hearing on House Bill 1162 "Concerning motorized mineral prospecting." The mineral prospecting and mining community needs to fill the room to standing in opposition to this bill.

You should by now have a clear understanding of the consequences should this bill be enacted, but the devil is always in the details, in this case, the Fiscal Note where the agencies explain how they will implement this bill to the tune of $1,235,470 for 2015 through 2017 and then $8,800 every year thereafter.
Here are some disturbing statements gleaned from the Fiscal notes:
From Ecology:
"Section 2 would temporarily suspend the gold and fish pamphlet and not allow mineral prospecting that uses a suction dredge or other form of motorized mineral prospecting within the wetted perimeter of a stream or river until October 31, 2016." Not Accurate, section 2 will allow motorized equipment by individual HPA, Section 3 will prohibit "motorized mineral prospecting in any segment of a river or stream where all fishing is prohibited either by the commission or the federal government."

From WDFW:
They make no comment regarding Section 3 which bans motorized equipment in rivers or streams where no fishing is allowed.
"We assume that many prospectors will forego motorized prospecting during this time period because of their opposition to paying fees." They probably are right.
"For this fiscal note, the Department estimates that 1,000 prospectors will apply for individual permits in FY 2016." Really, a thousand prospectors dredging? Or is it 1000 permits?
"We further assume that we will issue general permits on a statewide basis, so that all locations will be covered in a single permit. Therefore, multiple permits will not be required for each individual and $150,000 will be generated in FY 2016." Are you reading this, they are saying that we (1000 of us) can ask for all of our prospecting locations on 1 ONE application and it will be granted. This has not been the policy and NOTE.... if the application is denied, you will not get all your money back.
"We estimate that 300 individual permits will be issued generating $45,000 in FY 2017." So 300 more people or 1300 dredgers in this state. Realistic, don't think so.
"After this time we anticipate that motorized prospecting will be authorized by the Gold & Fish pamphlet in most cases; therefore no revenue above current-law levels will be generated." This is because they will have completed the 2nd of 2 comprehensive rule making sessions which would incorporate the study results and those conjured up by the other parties.
"The Department will conduct the scientific literature review in-house, rather than contracting to a university. This will require Fish and Wildlife Research Scientist 2 in FY 2016 to identify and analyze published literature on the subject, write the literature review, and present to the work group identified in this section. The remaining Fish and Wildlife Research Scientist 2 in FY 2016 and in FY 2017 will be required for working with the advisory work group to develop the anticipated research project required by this section, designing, implementing, and overseeing the research project, compiling the report to the workgroupof the findings, and assisting in designing recommendations to the legislature for any policy changes for
regulating prospecting as outlined in this section. The research project will require three two-person crews (6FTEs) Scientific Technician 2 over the course of the field research. We assume all crews will be headquartered in Olympia, but will spend the majority of their time in the field for FY 2016. Each crew will require one 4X4 SUV at standard rental rates and are anticipated to drive 1,000 miles/month for a cost in FY 2016 of $9,912. We
further assume that each FTE will spend 3 nights/week in travel status in FY 2016, resulting in reimbursement at the low-cost rate of $129/night for a total of $27,864. In addition, we assume that the Research Scientist will spend 1 night/week in travel status in FY 2016 at the same reimbursement rate. That total will be $6,192. No field research will be conducted in FY 2017.
" I suppose that the Area Habitat Biologists are unfamiliar with the area that there is a need to send people from Olympia into the field. and will need 4X4 SUV's to get there. I smell fraud waste and abuse by the department.
"The research scientist will be a new staff addition and so will require cubicle space at the standard rate in FY 2016." New hire????
"Will require development and publishing two new versions of the Gold and Fish pamphlet following the two versions of rulemaking mandated by this bill." Any rule making done under 77.55 is considered to be legislative rule making and can not be accomplished overnight as there are specific requirements for accomplishment. Remember it took darn near 3 years to develop the current rules.

There is so much more in this section that people should take the time to read.

From DNR
"DFW is estimating five quarterly workgroup meetings in Olympia at a state office location from July 1, 2015 through October 31, 2016. It is further assumed there will be a single representative from each group and agency. Based on the subject matter, DNR will provide a geologist (Natural Resource Scientist 3) with a mining background for participation in the work group meetings, and that additional preparation time prior to each
meeting will be needed. Expenses include staff and associated costs, for a total of $5,000 in FY 2016 and $2,000 in FY 2017."

The small scale mineral prospecting and mining community needs to fill the room beyond capacity for this legislation. Pass this information around, take the day off, bring the spouse and children (they get civics credits) and prepare a testimony to be provided to the committee. We will meet at the sundial at 1 PM. See You There.

Bill Thomas

Upvote 0

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another attempt of Fish Not Gold to ban Suction Dredging in Washington State, HB1162
Feb 12 Scheduled for public hearing in the House Committee on Agriculture & Natural Resources at 1:30 PM
HB 1162 - 2015-16 (video in this link if you want to tune in on thursday)

just like Oregon's SB838 it calls for a study but No moterized mining under the "Gold and Fish Pamphlet" till the study is complete,
More info; Resources Coalition Homepage
and here; Resources Coalition - Defeat HB 1162

you dont have to live in Washington State to Comment
send comments; https://app.leg.wa.gov/pbc/bill/1162

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We are gonna hit them fairly hard tomorrow, we have a big equipment demo planned...stay tuned for pics

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I cant believe they want all of your personal info for public scrutiny! I think they are setting up people to fired up and respond only to have the prospectors info used as harassment! this wdfw group should be chastised by the Govenor for even suggesting this personal info be publically displayed. with all of the I.D. thefts going on im stumped by this STUPID /IRRESPONSIBLE idea! Brian Williams of NBC must have advised them to do this!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace250, no politics.....

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm about half way through the vid, I applaud the miners showing up and protesting, update LOL zip forward on the video 74:20 smack down
TVW iFrame Player

Headquarters location:
300 Desmond Drive SE, Lacey, WA 98503
Mailing address:
PO Box 47600, Olympia, WA 98504-7600
Receptionist:
360-407-6000
FAX number:
360-407-6989
Office hours:
8 AM - 5 PM

Last edited:
OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm about half way through the vid, I applaud the miners showing up and protesting, update LOL zip forward on the video 74:20 smack down
TVW iFrame Player

Headquarters location:
300 Desmond Drive SE, Lacey, WA 98503
Mailing address:
PO Box 47600, Olympia, WA 98504-7600
Receptionist:
360-407-6000
FAX number:
360-407-6989
Office hours:
8 AM - 5 PM

In my opinion that was the best testimony out of all of them, it amazes me when I listen to the ones pushing for this bill how much they sound like my kids when they were younger. "He has more than I do" " I just want it to be fair". They sound like little 5 year olds. Also it is really disturbing when they put the blame on everyone else when there is "supposedly" no fish. They dredge and make the water a little dirty for just a little while so it must be their fault. I have news for them, if you don't have any fish stop :censored: fishing..... I think the miners should put together a bill that would put a moratorium on fishing and see how they like those apples but we know that will never happen because there is too much money lining to many pockets. They kept referring to fishing licenses and fees, I am surprised none of the miners brought up the facts on how much they pay each year for their claim fees and recording fees.

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whole testimony scenario looks and sounds just like the testimony hearings we had here in Salem a year or so back over much the same mining issues. Those ignorant sheeples that want the laws passed don't care what we think...they are paid plenty by the enviro wackos to just pay "lip service" to the necessary laws requiring public input, then they will do what the anti mining terrorists, that line their retirement and campaign funds with filthy money, want anyway and ram the laws thru with an "emergency clause" attached to it so it becomes law immediately. Take the money away from the ecoterrorists and replace those that take the campaign and retirement money so they won't be able to BUY POLITICIANS and JUDGES anymore. I know...easier said than done..........:censored:

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just received word that I am going to be asked to do a dredging "program" / "presentation" to a large group of "STEP" individuals (Salmon/Trout Enhancement Program). This program is guided by the ODFW (Oregon Dept. of Fish & Wildlife). While this thread brings forth the dredging issue in Washington it is not any different than that which came to Oregon.

A little birdie told me I was going to be raked over the hot coals at my opportunity to discuss the dredging issue before these "fish lovers". ........all of whom are fisherman. I imagine the ODFW regional fish biologist will be there as well. (this will not be my 1st presentation rodeo however....as I have done many pertaining to other issues regarding Geology and our environment)

1st question I will ask the group: "how many believe erosion is bad"?
Next Question: Of all the wood debris and rock structure you see in a river or stream.....from where does it come?
3rd question: Do you STEP volunteers place wood and stone structures in streams and rivers to create habitat?
4th question: Do adronomous fish spawn in the upper reaches of drainage systems? If so Why?
5th question: Do fish rely on clean gravels for spawning? How is it created?
6th question: Do you believe small suction dredging kills fish? If so how?
7th question: Do you as fisherman kill fish?
8th question: Do the STEP volunteers try to create deep pools for fish. If so why?
9th question: Have you seen what a small dredge does?
Etc etc etc!
Then I will bring forth the historical evidence of a tremendous erosional episode of slides that occurred on our drainage (the STEP area being discussed) and the historical fact that after this massive 1800's fire and slides our river was second only to the Columbia River for the amount of salmon it produced. (structure introduction like no one has ever seen)

Then maybe I'll ask:....is lead considered to be a toxin in our ecosystem?
How much lead is contributed to a fished waterway by fisherman? Have you ever considered it?

Then I will have them watch the Youtube vid: "Dredging for lead in the Umpqua River".

If time allows I will have them watch a vid presentation about suction dredge studies in Alaska!

I may bring forth the early day mining techniques and the huge amount of miners...and what they did in areas now known to be populated by fish.

It is my hope I am allowed to present factual findings and use geology as a tool to inform and educate.

Guess we will see how it goes. But such opportunities can not be passed up. Oh, and I have two fish hatchery managers who will back me up....and one even heads up a STEP hatch program.

Bejay

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just received word that I am going to be asked to do a dredging "program" / "presentation" to a large group of "STEP" individuals (Salmon/Trout Enhancement Program). This program is guided by the ODFW (Oregon Dept. of Fish & Wildlife). While this thread brings forth the dredging issue in Washington it is not any different than that which came to Oregon.

A little birdie told me I was going to be raked over the hot coals at my opportunity to discuss the dredging issue before these "fish lovers". ........all of whom are fisherman. I imagine the ODFW regional fish biologist will be there as well. (this will not be my 1st presentation rodeo however....as I have done many pertaining to other issues regarding Geology and our environment)

Next Question: Of all the wood debris and rock structure you see in a river or stream.....from where does it come?
3rd question: Do you STEP volunteers place wood and stone structures in streams and rivers to create habitat?
4th question: Do adronomous fish spawn in the upper reaches of drainage systems? If so Why?
8th question: Do the STEP volunteers try to create deep pools for fish. If so why?
Etc etc etc!
Then I will bring forth the historical evidence of a tremendous erosional episode of vslides that occurred on our drainage (the STEP area being discussed) and the historical fact that after this massive 1800's fire and slides our river was second only to the Columbia River for the amount of salmon it produced. (structure introduction like no one has ever seen)

How much lead is contributed to a fished waterway by fisherman? Have you ever considered it?

Then I will have them watch the Youtube vid: "Dredging for lead in the Umpqua River".

If time allows I will have them watch a vid presentation about suction dredge studies in Alaska!

I may bring forth the early day mining techniques and the huge amount of miners...and what they did in areas now known to be populated by fish.

It is my hope I am allowed to present factual findings and use geology as a tool to inform and educate.

Guess we will see how it goes. But such opportunities can not be passed up. Oh, and I have two fish hatchery managers who will back me up....and one even heads up a STEP hatch program.

Bejay

What a sound strategy you've come up with.

Nicely done!

The way you present your material makes perfect sense, and I hope your audience will be open to it.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Etc etc etc!
Then I will bring forth the historical evidence of a tremendous erosional episode of slides that occurred on our drainage (the STEP area being discussed) and the historical fact that after this massive 1800's fire and slides our river was second only to the Columbia River for the amount of salmon it produced. (structure introduction like no one has ever seen)

Bejay

Bejay
One thing I don't hear much about in the type of discussion you will be taking part in is how does high flood water affect the sediment & rocks in the bottom of the stream? A lot of people & I mean a lot have no idea that during high waters the river bottom becomes suspended and basically turns into a liquid state, that would explain how the rocks the size of small cars become round. It's obvious they can't roll when the sediment is locked in around them and to think this almost always happens during or just after spawning season but yet the fish seem to survive.

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Quote Jog:Bejay
One thing I don't hear much about in the type of discussion you will be taking part in is how does high flood water affect the sediment & rocks in the bottom of the stream? A lot of people & I mean a lot have no idea that during high waters the river bottom becomes suspended and basically turns into a liquid state, that would explain how the rocks the size of small cars become round. It's obvious they can't roll when the sediment is locked in around them and to think this almost always happens during or just after spawning season but yet the fish seem to survive. End quote Jog!

Yes I did: 5th question: Do fish rely on clean gravels for spawning? How is it created? Basic geology term is "sorting" You are just beginning the answer Jog!

Bejay

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bejay, it would be cool if you could somehow tape this talk
good luck and wear your armor

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quote Jog:Bejay
One thing I don't hear much about in the type of discussion you will be taking part in is how does high flood water affect the sediment & rocks in the bottom of the stream? A lot of people & I mean a lot have no idea that during high waters the river bottom becomes suspended and basically turns into a liquid state, that would explain how the rocks the size of small cars become round. It's obvious they can't roll when the sediment is locked in around them and to think this almost always happens during or just after spawning season but yet the fish seem to survive. End quote Jog!

Yes I did: 5th question: Do fish rely on clean gravels for spawning? How is it created? Basic geology term is "sorting" You are just beginning the answer Jog!

Bejay

Maybe that's why I didn't do so good in school, can't seem to understand those basic geology words, Daaaaaaa.........:icon_scratch:

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bejay......Do you happen to know the name of the regional fish biologist that will be attending?
PM me if you do...I am quite curious...

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mike....did not receive any PM.
I probably will not consider taping the presentation....as an invited guest speaker; I feel that will be up to the STEP chairman.
I don't know the name of the biologist. And I usually find them not to be amiable to anything that fails to promote their learned concepts. I have observed comments by some fisherman in the community that this biologist is not one who deviates from his position. He is a "wild fish" proponent....and restricts attempts to enhance fish runs using human spawning intervention. He is a stout proponent of habitat improvement......but I realize he likely fails to understand the real "geology aspect". He is like most: "the butterfly on the giant sequoia tree".

An ideal situation would be to know what their "objections" and preconceived "concepts" might be. If that were known one could bring forth that evidence to specifically contradict any possible "objections they have to dredging".

But having been an avid fly fisherman since the age of 9, and having fished most of the rivers and lakes in Oregon (was a desired attempt after graduating high school in 1965), I believe the typical opposition to dredging will be a concept that sediment is "pollution" and such "turbidity" is harmful to fish. An additional argument may propose that micro organisms and invertebrates are destroyed....etc. although that "destruction concept" will actually immediately show how it benefits fish......FOOD for FISH consumption.

"In water work timing" will undoubtedly be discussed.

The primary focus on FISH actually is the main issue playing a role in State regulatory positions...IMHO.

So the relevancy of such "anti dredging" by States always seems to focus upon FISH.

Bejay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread