Primary Interest:
Prospecting

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
As others have stated, once the glint of a decent amount of Gold hits the owner's eye, you will likely be out of there unless you state specifics in a contract. When I hunt Deer or Turkey on another person's property, I make sure to get a time period wrote into the contract which is usually a year but could be of longer duration, if the property owner is for it. I would do the same with any contract with a property owner for prospecting for Gold. You can always pull out if little to nothing is there and this is no harm no foul! Also, make sure that times that you can be on the property are clear and works best for you but still trying to keep with the property owners wishes and privacy as well, otherwise you could be significantly handicapped on when you can prospect. Ask the property owner ahead of time, if they want a percentage of the Gold you find. Some will say no but others will say yes and usually state how much of a percentage right away. If they want a percentage and it is too high, walk away. If the owner wants none, then you have a win..win situation where you can offer them other things such as has been previously stated, offer and give them help around the property and give them a small vial of Gold flakes or a smaller picker or two and they will usually be happier than a hog in a corn bin.

Frank

Last edited:

dunc

Apr 7, 2009
copperopolis ca.
Hahahahaha without a contract you can/will be removed when the gold glows---oops I forgot you must have the expertise to find first.... infintile booze for gold :cat:

This is what happened to me. Handed over his take of the gold and was given a bs excuse about why I couldn't go back. Over the next couple of weeks my hole got much bigger

kevin1

Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I live you will never find the kind of quantities that you would in the California Motherlode, only glacial placers, and not much chance of hitting anything big. Unless the property owner is willing to pitch in half of the work there's no way I would offer half. I bring 100% of the tools, equipment, and experience to the table, the property owner contributes only the place to exercise them, and gold in the ground is worth zero until it is recovered. If initial sampling indicated that I might make more than just gas money I would be inclined to offer him a case of beer, and perhaps some help around the place in exchange for access, but that would be about it. In a different location with the prospect of actually pulling enough out of the ground to make a living I would offer a contract granting the owner up to 10%, but again, unless he plans to do more than hold his hand out I wouldn't offer more.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bonaro, I'm surprised to see you use the word recreational here. Pretty sure you mean casual/part-time. Even in private property "recreational" is a poor word choice I think as it forfeits your rights.

Kevin, I used recreational because I meant recreational, I seldom mix words. A choice of words, poor or otherwise, cannot forfeit a right.
The next time you feel compelled to exert your opinion over my posts, I suggest you do it in a PM - thanks

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where I live you will never find the kind of quantities that you would in the California Motherlode, only glacial placers, and not much chance of hitting anything big. Unless the property owner is willing to pitch in half of the work there's no way I would offer half. I bring 100% of the tools, equipment, and experience to the table, the property owner contributes only the place to exercise them, and gold in the ground is worth zero until it is recovered. If initial sampling indicated that I might make more than just gas money I would be inclined to offer him a case of beer, and perhaps some help around the place in exchange for access, but that would be about it. In a different location with the prospect of actually pulling enough out of the ground to make a living I would offer a contract granting the owner up to 10%, but again, unless he plans to do more than hold his hand out I wouldn't offer more.

Kevin, as a land owner wouldn't think of letting you unload your tools on my property for 10%. If land owner is not there the entire process whose to assure that you are getting your 10%, wouldn't unlock the gate or worry about you getting hurt and you or family attempting to sue. So you need to look at the other side also.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I guess I am lucky to have never had an issue with a property owner!

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What I commonly hear is the story from the landowners point of view.
They agreed to a handshake deal with some kind of split. They miner worked all summer and then he split

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions