Finding a little color in tertiary gravels...

Hangtowndiggins

Oct 1, 2013
placerville ca
Detector(s) used
GBpro. BGT 48" miner, 36" prospector and super mini
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From my yard!!.

So the wife and I bought a house outside of Placerville about 7 months ago. Lots of old time mining history and remains within a mile of us in all directions. Been noticing plenty of round rock and quartz sitting on the surface in the yard but haven't yet had the chance to poke around. Between all the hubby/daddy do's and all the projects that come with buying a "new" home and everything else going on in life just haven't had the time (have only got out to dig a handful of times since the move)..
Well it was finally time to build a fence around the yard that required digging multiple holes to set wood posts. Was having little to no fun until running into a hard pack layer of some awesome looking gravels that showed all signs pointing to gold! So, little did I know I have tertiary gravels just a few inches deep in my yard until now. I was quick to round up empty buckets to save the gravels for further investigation, ended up bringing 5 buckets worth back to the house.
A few days later (last weekend) the big storm blowing through put my fence building plans to a halt (totally fine by me). Was itchy to get some gravels from the fence post holes in the pan and see how it looked. Got all set up to pan away in the garage, even told the wife to pretend like I wasn't home (as in don't ask me to do anything, I'm busy! Lol) and before I could get the first pan wet it suddenly started pouring harder than I've seen in a long while, so I found myself amused by it for the 10 minutes it lasted.
After the flash flood downpour let up I took a quick walk to make sure all the water around the house was running off ok and noticed a spot in the yard that looked to be a one foot diameter hole pumping a good amount of water from the ground that wasn't there before. So I thought, well hell I'm about to pan anyway so grabbed the shovel to see what I could fish out of the hole. Dug down and started pulling up some sweet looking gravels!..
Worked the first pan down and to my surprise lots of black sands and had one little piece of color looking me straight in the eye, I screamed EUREKA!! Lol, well not really but I did have an instant golden grin at the first sight of that little piece of color8-)
Went on to do 8 or so more pans from the hole, each pan showed at least one color, one pan showed 3 colors (did a little jig on that one).
So ended up not even touching the saved buckets of gravel from the post holes, my back was locking up a while after being hunched over the panning tub and was concerned about a wicked blister on the palm of my hand getting too soggy n funky so called it quits. Plus had enough color in the pan to know I need to set up the recirculating sluice and get down to business (just gotta find the time).
So all in all not bad for digging blind in a hole full of water and finding some new color that I had no idea was there waiting!
Went back to the hole yesterday to see what I could dig up, hole stopped flowing but still full of water so can't see exactly what's going on yet. I managed to pull up a couple more pans worth of gravel (both showed a couple more colors!) but now seems to be I'm bottoming out on bigger cobbles which has me thinking I was only scratching the surface of the gravel layer and good possibilities for the gold to get better the deeper I dig, we shall see...

Anyhow, just wanted to share the story while it's young and update with the finds as I go...
Now for the pics....

The start of the front yard surface operation lol (the hole that produced the bit of color)
image.jpg

Gravels from the hole..
image.jpg

Black sands from 8 or so pans worth..
image.jpg

The bigger washed gravels from classifying to 1/2"..
image.jpg

Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sweet Mother of Golden Twisty Tacos........

StreamlineGold

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is some very nice looking gold there...I bet the bigger stuff is waiting for a down deeper!

AlaskaGold

Nov 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish my yard had color like that in it! Nice looking gold.

specksandflecks

Nov 13, 2009
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks fellas, all the light hearted comments and advise is appreciated:icon_thumright:
Well the yard is only one acre with a neighbor in close enough range so not sure will go as far as bringing in a backhoe, but if the gold gets that good and comes down to it will have to go with the clever excuse, I mean reason of diggin a pool (good one Kev!)... and if so, Mojo has the right idea, go big or go home.. I can see it now.. "oh that's just the olympic size pool project that crazy neighbor never finished, he sure spent a lot of time washing all those rocks though:icon_scratch:" Either way, will keeping having fun with it as I don't see crime in getting some color (hopefully chunks) from the yard.

For a bit of info about the area, I'm in a valley at 2500', no exposed bedrock that I know of for at least a mile in all directions, so no clue on how deep it could be hiding. The base of the nearest bluff that was hydraulicked is about a mile out and pretty flat in between so I doubt tailings made it's way to my place. Plenty for signs of digs just a cobble throw away but none in the yard so thinking chances are good that the ground is untouched.
Anyhow, I guess all the answers await under my feet, just finding the time is gonna be the hard part. Will be sure to keep y'all posted with the finds as they come and hopefully before long.

Good and safe digs to all until then!..

I hear those pool projects can get fairly extensive. It's just so hard to visualize the right location for the pool. Unfortunately you will probably have to preform several excavations before you can determine a satisfactory location.:laughing7: Maybe you can find some way to offset your expenses.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know a guy who dug up a bunch of his backyard to install an underground shooting range...a sort of extension of his basement but with no house above it, just dirt. When it was done, his backyard looked normal again- the range was under 3' of dirt. Maybe you need one of those!

yodi

Mar 24, 2015
NE Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I couldn't live there i wouldn't have a yard left. Maybe you should offer to help your elderly neighbors plant some trees or dig a pool. lol nice finds sure saves on gas.

dashriprock

Jan 18, 2014
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster Vsat
Tesoro Diablo Umaxx
Garrett CXIII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That sure is sweet hangtown! Wish I would have moved to an area like that. I have to drive 80 miles or more one way to find color where I'm at now. Before I moved nice color and plenty of it was 6 miles away...sure miss that. Can't wait to hear more on what might be lying there waiting for you.

calsierra-Dan

Jun 1, 2015
eldorado co.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Goldmonster 1000
Primary Interest:
Other
thats good **** ! me and my parntner are always checking out the achient river , u can find all over snows rd area and sierra springs , i had got a bucket of gravels the other day was lil flour in it!

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ha ha! I can totally relate with this guy. If he pulled a fortune you know the neighborhood would look like swiss cheese.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure how i just came across this thread but man am i jealous! Bravo man! Ill send you my address if you need somewhere to put all the excess dirt from the post holes!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread