Finding a little color in tertiary gravels...

Hangtowndiggins

Oct 1, 2013
placerville ca
Detector(s) used
GBpro. BGT 48" miner, 36" prospector and super mini
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From my yard!!.

So the wife and I bought a house outside of Placerville about 7 months ago. Lots of old time mining history and remains within a mile of us in all directions. Been noticing plenty of round rock and quartz sitting on the surface in the yard but haven't yet had the chance to poke around. Between all the hubby/daddy do's and all the projects that come with buying a "new" home and everything else going on in life just haven't had the time (have only got out to dig a handful of times since the move)..
Well it was finally time to build a fence around the yard that required digging multiple holes to set wood posts. Was having little to no fun until running into a hard pack layer of some awesome looking gravels that showed all signs pointing to gold! So, little did I know I have tertiary gravels just a few inches deep in my yard until now. I was quick to round up empty buckets to save the gravels for further investigation, ended up bringing 5 buckets worth back to the house.
A few days later (last weekend) the big storm blowing through put my fence building plans to a halt (totally fine by me). Was itchy to get some gravels from the fence post holes in the pan and see how it looked. Got all set up to pan away in the garage, even told the wife to pretend like I wasn't home (as in don't ask me to do anything, I'm busy! Lol) and before I could get the first pan wet it suddenly started pouring harder than I've seen in a long while, so I found myself amused by it for the 10 minutes it lasted.
After the flash flood downpour let up I took a quick walk to make sure all the water around the house was running off ok and noticed a spot in the yard that looked to be a one foot diameter hole pumping a good amount of water from the ground that wasn't there before. So I thought, well hell I'm about to pan anyway so grabbed the shovel to see what I could fish out of the hole. Dug down and started pulling up some sweet looking gravels!..
Worked the first pan down and to my surprise lots of black sands and had one little piece of color looking me straight in the eye, I screamed EUREKA!! Lol, well not really but I did have an instant golden grin at the first sight of that little piece of color8-)
Went on to do 8 or so more pans from the hole, each pan showed at least one color, one pan showed 3 colors (did a little jig on that one).
So ended up not even touching the saved buckets of gravel from the post holes, my back was locking up a while after being hunched over the panning tub and was concerned about a wicked blister on the palm of my hand getting too soggy n funky so called it quits. Plus had enough color in the pan to know I need to set up the recirculating sluice and get down to business (just gotta find the time).
So all in all not bad for digging blind in a hole full of water and finding some new color that I had no idea was there waiting!
Went back to the hole yesterday to see what I could dig up, hole stopped flowing but still full of water so can't see exactly what's going on yet. I managed to pull up a couple more pans worth of gravel (both showed a couple more colors!) but now seems to be I'm bottoming out on bigger cobbles which has me thinking I was only scratching the surface of the gravel layer and good possibilities for the gold to get better the deeper I dig, we shall see...

Anyhow, just wanted to share the story while it's young and update with the finds as I go...
Now for the pics....

The start of the front yard surface operation lol (the hole that produced the bit of color)
image.jpg

Gravels from the hole..
image.jpg

Black sands from 8 or so pans worth..
image.jpg

The bigger washed gravels from classifying to 1/2"..
image.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hangtowndiggins

Hangtowndiggins

Oct 1, 2013
placerville ca
Detector(s) used
GBpro. BGT 48" miner, 36" prospector and super mini
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last but not least, the bit of color from the hole!..
image.jpg

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice Bonus! That got to be a welcome housewarming gift.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice take for the yard. I would be tempted to rent a backhoe.

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No doubt, get the backhoe! The gold could deffinitely get bigger down near the bedrock. Almost looks like you are in a old hydraulic area. Could be on tailings or virgin pay, you never know...
Reading the old reports for some of the old hydraulic opps usually go something like, "the boys were getting 5 cents to a yard in the upper gravels, and bedrock was 5 dollars!"

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Time to dig for a pool in the backyard!

Seriously congrats on the new place AND the gold!

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
just get 16' posts. and those are pretty good size peices, might need 20' posts

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Bgt prospector/miner, Ggt nugget, gold cube, goldnsand hand pump Black magic miller table, blue bowl, garret pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Never did doing "yard work" sound so appealing haha

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet Hangtown.....Might have to remodel your whole yard. Gonna need to find a cheaper backhoe. The one I rented a few weeks back was a little steep for the run time your allowed.. Its hard to rent an owner operator when you don't want anyone to see or know about the holes your digging.

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
First off,some tertiary channels are hundreds of feet deepThen there's always the question of mineral rights on a piece of property.Just because you own the house and land doesn't mean you own the mineral rights.Most properties only are deeded for surface rights.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last but not least, the bit of color from the hole!..
/QUOTE]

I wish I could dig in my yard and find color like that!

I knew a guy up north once that dug a hole in his yard to start a basement. He tested the gravels, and yup! Good gold.

He even installed a little recuirculating sluice. I saw the gold he was getting, and it was nice stuff.

I hope you're on to something.

All the best,

Lanny

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Olympic size pool

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread