Butte creek chico Ca

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We are spending 5 days just out of chico Ca in the Butte creek canyon. Does anyone have any experience prospecting the creek in that area ? I have explored the creek and bluffs last year, have permission to explore some property out of Duram south of chico. Last year water was high and not much bedrock where we were near the honey run covered bridge.

Upvote 0

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're on private property then you have a chance at finding good gold. There is a public camp ground that I stayed at once with a guy who wanted to learn how to read that river and in that area I only saw newer talings piles on top of new tailings piles. That was the most heavily worked out area that I had ever seen and still is to date. But gold is plentiful in the private areas. Just look around for worked area and then prospect :)

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you go to butte creek just south of the 99 bridge a lot of people pull smaller flower gold out if there.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are you camping at the Forks of the Buttes recreational area accessed by way of Paradise or Forest Ranch? If so there is good gold downstream below the bridge and penstock follow the trail along the river and be prepared for some climbing and scrambling, ye shall be rewarded. What was said is true, above the forks is all Sierra Pacific and tailings piles. Butte Creek coming from Chico on up the canyon to the covered bridge is all tailings. They just redid the bridge across Butte Creek at 99, totally reworked the area don't think I'd waste my time there, better gold higher up. Lots of good gold on private property however most folks that have property on Butte Creek are founding and life members of clubs that use the words fund, and 'friends of the fill in the blank.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you plan on hitting the forks you will have to access it from the paradise side for the next couple of months at least. The garland bridge is being replaced but they are in the final stages of construction. Not sure when they plan on finishing it though.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BLM website will help you with current conditions,situations as they turn up and lousy regs too-John

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread