Where do you draw the line?

sierra_ronin

Feb 2, 2015
San Francisco
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had some time to reminisce today over some of the precarious places I've hiked into to prospect in the Sierra Nevadas over the past year and a half and I got to thinking maybe I push it a little too far to extreme at times. My philosophy is to hike(often alone) into places that are off the beaten path, places that may have never been hit hard by mining which is almost impossible in this part of the world so I sometimes find myself in dangerous situations trail blazing DEEP into the back country.

For example last year I was hiking back up a steep grade(almost vertical really) carrying a very heavy pack after prospecting on the Rubicon River all day. About 3/4 of the way up the ravine the ground under my boot gave way and before I knew it I was tumbling down. I'm convinced that the only thing that stopped me was my heavy ass pack strapped to my back that day. I tumbled a good 45 feet from where I slipped and my cons bucket flew much further down dumping a hard days work all over the mountain side. I didn't get too badly banged up but I understand it could of been much worse.

So my question for everyone is: Where do you draw the line?

Yes, I've found a couple potential placer claim sites and a few gold in quartz specimens in my adventures but is it worth the risk?
I think I may get a little over zealous out there when I see color but I'm curious to hear what everyone's thinking is on this subject and I hope to get a healthy discussion going here.

Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
And then again theres the F.O.G.s like me that never learn! Im an example of that! and I have the scars to prove it! but heck, a guy has to have fun somehow!:)

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
My #1 priority is going home to my wife & kids. When I feel that what I might do next greatly reduces the possibility of me meeting priority #1 I draw the line.
I spend a lot of time out alone & the SPOT is a great tool. Just make sure it's on YOU, not in your pack. If you can't reach it it's worthless.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure Hefty but I'm pretty sure he means Frickin Old Guys. (Which is the same category that I find myself in.) For me... Lines are meant to be crossed. Be they physical lines or mental lines. It's only by pushing our limits that we really grow.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure Hefty but I'm pretty sure he means Frickin Old Guys. (Which is the same category that I find myself in.) For me... Lines are meant to be crossed. Be they physical lines or mental lines. It's only by pushing our limits that we really grow.

Old age and trickery will overcome youth and endurance every time 8-)

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Words to live by...

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Russ... I figured as much but wanted to keep it clean since it IS a family forum! ;)

Bonaro..."Old age and trickery will overcome youth and endurance every time1" AMEN Brudda! Those youngsters that think they know everything really pi$$ off us old guys that do!

oregonmp03

Oct 13, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
Detector(s) used
Fishers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First off anyone got any positive or negative feedback off how well that Spot think Jeff linked? That thing is kind of cool.

Second off each person should know their limits and be able to admit that too much is too much, I'm not the thinnest guy anymore and I was pretty active when I was younger but I know today that I did some crazy stuff back then that I wouldn't be able to do today. My grandfather who was an active hunter helped pack out my dad's elk a couple years ago, hauled one hind quarter out 75 yards up a gentle slope and sat down and tore up his tag. He said he had no business even thinking about trying to haul out an elk on his own anymore and didn't even want to try anymore.

Point is as I get older and it takes me longer to recover from my stupidity my line changes just enough to keep me out of trouble.........most of the time :)

OP
OP
S

sierra_ronin

Feb 2, 2015
San Francisco
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Definitely something to keep in mind.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What good is a dream if you cant pursue it?

For many, just having the dream of pursuing it is enough.

Being on the nozzle end of an 8" dredge and hogging out a
glory hole all the way to bedrock is something I dream about,
but will never be. Still, dreaming/imagining about what it would be
like, including all the wonders it entails, is sufficient.

twocents-1.gif~original

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
For many, just having the dream of pursuing it is enough.

Being on the nozzle end of an 8" dredge and hogging out a
glory hole all the way to bedrock is something I dream about,
but will never be. Still, dreaming/imagining about what it would be
like, including all the wonders it entails, is sufficient.

twocents-1.gif~original

So does my wife! :treasurechest:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hummm... Hefty... I thought her dream was to have YOU on the end of that nozzel getting HER all that gold.

I've often thought of what it would be like to do some dredging but have never lived in an area that would give me a chance to give it a try. That doesn't mean I haven't dreamed of being underwater working a dredge and finding a nice group of nuggets laying under a rock as I move it out of the way....

At 57 I'm finally getting to start living my dream of becoming a full time miner. I don't think it's ever too late for someone to make their dreams come true.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread