Good or bad buying a claim on ebay

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BAD!!!!!! Run away and don't look back!!!!!!!! You shall slap yourself 3 times for posting such nonsense. THE worst place to try to get a claim

^^^^ That was me being nice about it^^^^^^^

ratled

PS but I do regularly bur other things from there

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't know the land and haven't done the legal research yourself then you are just pissing away your money on something worth less than the roll of paper in your bathroom.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
There have been a lot of threads on this subject lately. Look through the thread index and find them and you will get ed-u-macated.

In a nutshell.... If you're a greenhorn and don't know anything about locating, staking and filing a claim, then you've got no business trying to buy one from E-bay, Craigs list or some add in a magazine. 95% of the claims listed in this manner are nothing more than scams that are out to empty your pockets of your hard earned cash.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Buying a coin, Gold nugget or other collectible or just needed items are one thing. However, if looking to purchase a Gold Claim or land with Gold supposedly on it and you can't stand on it, touch it, sample it for Gold, research it to insure it is a legit Claim or land to be purchased and see the documentation on it before hand due to distance problems or excuses by the Seller, then you should stay away from it. As everyone says, if it is too good to be true, then it probably is! I could not tell you how many high valued items I have found on eBay, did some research and found out the Seller did not even own it and that they were using the item to Scam folks out of money and I reported them to eBay as well as notified the FBI.

Frank

OP
OP
et1955

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the input everyone, I have bought 3 claims on ebay without a problem, I agree 95% of the adds are phony but it is that 5% that I check out, research is a must. One claim I own is between the New 49's K19a and K20 near Happy Camp, next claim is 3 miles up from Somes Bar on the Salmon River, found gold in my first pan there and the last claim is on the North Fork of the Salmon River near Sawyers Bar, it's historic name is Flapjack Bar, now it's Salmon River 9

Attachments

• salmon river 9b.jpg
    salmon river 9b.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 113

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you actually check with the county to make sure the claim was legal in YOUR name? People sell valid claims all the time, it's that they don't own them to sell in the first place!

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input everyone, I have bought 3 claims on ebay without a problem, I agree 95% of the adds are phony but it is that 5% that I check out, research is a must. One claim I own is between the New 49's K19a and K20 near Happy Camp, next claim is 3 miles up from Somes Bar on the Salmon River, found gold in my first pan there and the last claim is on the North Fork of the Salmon River near Sawyers Bar, it's historic name is Flapjack Bar, now it's Salmon River 9
Hopefully there are legal claims, not over filed on some elses claims and PLLLLEaasssssse tell me the name Sunshine wasn't any way referenced in the seller

ratled

OP
OP
et1955

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All is legal and in my name now, Blm and county, had to pay the Blm $465. last year because I could not get access to the claims because of all the forest fires . The guy I got the claims from is David Wiest, I will buy from him again if he comes up with more claims in the area. Also I should mention I paid with a credit card for safety. I did check out the status of the claims using the LR2000 and the Land matters site and there are my claims and my name as the owner, I have to admit is scary but all work out, sometimes you have to take a chance but with a lot of research.
Ed

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All is legal and in my name now, Blm and county, had to pay the Blm $465. last year because I could not get access to the claims because of all the forest fires . The guy I got the claims from is David Wiest, I will buy from him again if he comes up with more claims in the area. Also I should mention I paid with a credit card for safety. I did check out the status of the claims using the LR2000 and the Land matters site and there are my claims and my name as the owner, I have to admit is scary but all work out, sometimes you have to take a chance but with a lot of research.
Ed

That does not mean you have legal claims or he didn't over file another claim....... you should have done your DD AT THE COUNTY RECORDER'S.

Since the K is and has been "all claimed up" I would be very concerned

ratled

OP
OP
et1955

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I talked with the Syskiyou country recorders office and all is fine and as for the Klamath being all claimed up, well last year at least ten claims were sold by Dwiest and I believe the new 49's bought some of them too as I did. Ed

MinerFortyNiner1952

Nov 18, 2013
San Jose, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought my claim on ebay and had some misgivings to start . The seller agreed to meet me at the BLM in Sacramento where he provided the previous quit claim deed from
the previous owners to him, the tax property tax statements for the previous two years, and copies of his small miners waiver and assessment work affidavits. We then went
in to BLM where he signed his quit claim over to me. We then proceeded to up to highway 49 where he showed me the claim and we finalized the transaction.

Later, using maps and coordinates that he had provided and the coordinates I had taken while visiting the claim, I discovered that the claim wasn't exactly where he showed it to be.
Turns out, my claim was one mile further up the creek from the easy access spot he showed me. I believe that his error was not any attempt to defraud us and that he genuinely
believed that to be the claim.

In the end, I am extremely happy with my purchase, but just shows that with all the checks and cross checks I did, stuff can still happen.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

David made that Salmon River 9 claim just 5 months before you bought it from him. The total of the 7 claims located in that 1/2 mile of river in your SE section amount to at least 110 acres so the odds are good that someone is overclaimed. Since your claim is the most recent one there the odds are good the overclaim might be yours. If it were my paperwork I would be ordering location notices from the county for all those other claims that were already there.

This makes a good example of why just getting stamped paperwork doesn't mean you have a valid claim. Neither the BLM or the County Recorder care how many claims are overclaimed on each other. We regularly see them 5 deep in the same spot. All those claims have perfectly fine paperwork but only the first one located is a valid claim - the rest are void the same as if no paperwork was ever recorded.

There are no shortcuts to researching land status before buying or locating a claim. Fancy paperwork may give you an impression that everything is legit but with claims sellers that is often not the case.

Educate yourself and prosper! :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:
OP
OP
et1955

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Clay, Well spent a lot of time on the phone today and also talked to David, Blm is sending me the maps of the claims in the area for me to check out, David said he did research the area first before staking the claims. Between with the BLM and David I know the locations of those other claims, the claim bordering the east border of my claim is an 80 acre claim, each sold by David in 20 acre parcels,and there is a claim on south of my claim and one north so there are your 7 claims, no matter what happens David guaranties the sale.

OP
OP
et1955

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Clay, David just updated me on status of the claims in the area ,the Canyon Place claim was about 2 miles long, he acquired it and broke it up and sold them off one at a time, the only active claim at the time runs along forest route 39N14, it is east and south of me, Best Wishes, Ed

SLNugget

Sep 25, 2013
Morristown, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK, so most are in agreement that buying from Ebay and Craigslist is chancy at best and outright fraud in some cases. Imagine a guy living in the North East and wants a claim in the SW. He has very little boots on the ground experience and knowledge of the area he is interested in and for what ever reason can't or doesn't want to learn all the intricacies of due diligence and filing a claim. He wants a claim there so he and the family can spend time there on vacation. What options does he have in acquiring a claim without getting ripped off.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK, so most are in agreement that buying from Ebay and Craigslist is chancy at best and outright fraud in some cases. Imagine a guy living in the North East and wants a claim in the SW. He has very little boots on the ground experience and knowledge of the area he is interested in and for what ever reason can't or doesn't want to learn all the intricacies of due diligence and filing a claim. He wants a claim there so he and the family can spend time there on vacation. What options does he have in acquiring a claim without getting ripped off.

My opinion: such a person should not be trying to buy a claim as he will get fleeced 95% of the time. Find another way to camp and prospect.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That is a really good question. The problem is this is the kind of guy that will get whooped every time buying from a stranger online. I would suggest that this hypothetical person should focus on the public sites, if there are any set aside in the area of interest. Otherwise, join a private club who own claims.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions