fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Kevin,
As the time grows closer to my gold retirement I was wanting to ask you about areas in Colorado worth their salt. I am thinking of buying a claim to set up my base at. I will be working it just a few hours a day due to health. I have read and found several for sale but just wondering which county and area you think my be the best. I am also thinking of joining one of your local clubs to check the areas out and look for the sources from there for sale. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am limited on time on the great earth and am looking for that "I did it" spot. From my research I feel Colorado will offer me the best experience in looking for and hopefully finding some gold.

Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Kevin,
As the time grows closer to my gold retirement I was wanting to ask you about areas in Colorado worth their salt. I am thinking of buying a claim to set up my base at. I will be working it just a few hours a day due to health. I have read and found several for sale but just wondering which county and area you think my be the best. I am also thinking of joining one of your local clubs to check the areas out and look for the sources from there for sale. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am limited on time on the great earth and am looking for that "I did it" spot. From my research I feel Colorado will offer me the best experience in looking for and hopefully finding some gold.

While I don't know Colorado areas I do know the claiming process. If you're really REALLY set on buying a claim, remember to treat it as if you were locating and filing for it yourself!!! Do your due diligence and make sure that EVERYTHING is legit! There are a LOT of scams when it comes to people selling claims. Don't let yourself be blinded by what seems to be a good thing. Check it out with a fine toothed comb and make sure it really is a good thing! I'd hate to hear that you got taken for a ride by some scam artist! If they won't allow you to do your own testing before you buy.. Run away!!!!! If any of the paperwork seems to be out of order...Run away!!!! If someting looks too good to be true, it usually is!

If you want to find out where in Colorado there has been gold found, you can go to the LandMatters site listed in my signature and look at the Colorado mining claims map. The basic layer will show you current placer and Lode claim locations. If you turn on the "Mining Claims Activity" layer, you can see where mining claims from the past have been located. The darker the shade, the more claims that were located within that section. Remember to use the refresh button on the map toolbar and NOT the one for your web browser as that will reload the map back to its basic start up configuration. LandMatters is the BEST tool for miners to come along since the sluice box! Taking some time to learn how to use it and use it well is to your benefit.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do as said above but instead of establishing a claim, consider buying land in a gold mining town which is ON the gold! In some communities virtually all the private land is private due to previously being part of a mine which got patented back in the day. My condo up in Summit County for example is on the site of an old milling operation's bunk house! The gold is a mile away but I bet you can do better if you try!

ikesdad

Jun 23, 2010
Colorado
And many streams/creeks are on private land, usually ranch land.
One must do his homework and not only find a water source on public land, but one in placer country.
FnF, have you spent much time in this state ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
fishnfacts

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies gentlemen, I have a lot more research to do but I like what I am seeing so far. I have only passed thru Colorado and that was almost 40 years ago. Kevin, really don't want to invest in buying property, but it is a thought. Any claim that I might consider, I would put my feet on the ground and a pan will be processed from a location of my chosing.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got it! I have a friend that helps people test claims, he'll even do it on your behalf. I've gone out with him numerous times on claim tests and I can tell you 9 of 10 are crap for gold. You really have to be careful! Best way is probably to stake your own, not buy one. That said, I also know a legit broker who will encourage you to test before buying. ...no compensation to me from either of these guys other than being allowed on their claims btw.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions