Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By goldenIrishman
  • 3 Post By KevinInColorado
  • 1 Post By KevinInColorado

Thread: Kevin in Colorado or any others.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Ron

Mar 2014
    Chicago, Il. Northside
    BH Disc 2200
    220 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Kevin in Colorado or any others.

Hi Kevin,
    As the time grows closer to my gold retirement I was wanting to ask you about areas in Colorado worth their salt. I am thinking of buying a claim to set up my base at. I will be working it just a few hours a day due to health. I have read and found several for sale but just wondering which county and area you think my be the best. I am also thinking of joining one of your local clubs to check the areas out and look for the sources from there for sale. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am limited on time on the great earth and am looking for that "I did it" spot. From my research I feel Colorado will offer me the best experience in looking for and hopefully finding some gold.

jog
    us
    jog

Nov 2008
    Tillamook Oregon
    Whites MXT / GMT
    677 times
    Colorado = Gems.
    Those Who Say It Can't Be Done Shouldn't Interupt Those That Are Doing It.

Charter Member
    us
    Jim Bowers

Mar 2013
    Hendricksville Indiana
    475 times
    Prospecting
    Don't know for sure, but I haven't heard of any salt mines in Colorado.

us
    This isn't a hobby! It's hard work!

Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
    6153 times
    Prospecting/Mining and protecting our rights to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfacts View Post
    Hi Kevin,
    As the time grows closer to my gold retirement I was wanting to ask you about areas in Colorado worth their salt. I am thinking of buying a claim to set up my base at. I will be working it just a few hours a day due to health. I have read and found several for sale but just wondering which county and area you think my be the best. I am also thinking of joining one of your local clubs to check the areas out and look for the sources from there for sale. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am limited on time on the great earth and am looking for that "I did it" spot. From my research I feel Colorado will offer me the best experience in looking for and hopefully finding some gold.
    While I don't know Colorado areas I do know the claiming process. If you're really REALLY set on buying a claim, remember to treat it as if you were locating and filing for it yourself!!! Do your due diligence and make sure that EVERYTHING is legit! There are a LOT of scams when it comes to people selling claims. Don't let yourself be blinded by what seems to be a good thing. Check it out with a fine toothed comb and make sure it really is a good thing! I'd hate to hear that you got taken for a ride by some scam artist! If they won't allow you to do your own testing before you buy.. Run away!!!!! If any of the paperwork seems to be out of order...Run away!!!! If someting looks too good to be true, it usually is!

If you want to find out where in Colorado there has been gold found, you can go to the LandMatters site listed in my signature and look at the Colorado mining claims map. The basic layer will show you current placer and Lode claim locations. If you turn on the "Mining Claims Activity" layer, you can see where mining claims from the past have been located. The darker the shade, the more claims that were located within that section. Remember to use the refresh button on the map toolbar and NOT the one for your web browser as that will reload the map back to its basic start up configuration. LandMatters is the BEST tool for miners to come along since the sluice box! Taking some time to learn how to use it and use it well is to your benefit.
    russau, Clay Diggins and bobw53 like this.
    http://www.mylandmatters.org/
    The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

"Those that make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" John F. Kennedy

When I joined the Army I took an oath to protect this country from enemies both foreign and domestic. To the best of my knowledge I've never been relieved of that oath and will continue to follow it to the best of my ability.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10446 times
    Prospecting
    Do as said above but instead of establishing a claim, consider buying land in a gold mining town which is ON the gold! In some communities virtually all the private land is private due to previously being part of a mine which got patented back in the day. My condo up in Summit County for example is on the site of an old milling operation's bunk house! The gold is a mile away but I bet you can do better if you try!
    Clay Diggins, Scooby903 and russau like this.

us
    Jun 2010
    Colorado
    79 times
    And many streams/creeks are on private land, usually ranch land.
    One must do his homework and not only find a water source on public land, but one in placer country.
    FnF, have you spent much time in this state ?
    Last edited by ikesdad; Feb 18, 2015 at 09:52 PM.

us
    Ron

Mar 2014
    Chicago, Il. Northside
    BH Disc 2200
    220 times
    Thanks for the replies gentlemen, I have a lot more research to do but I like what I am seeing so far. I have only passed thru Colorado and that was almost 40 years ago. Kevin, really don't want to invest in buying property, but it is a thought. Any claim that I might consider, I would put my feet on the ground and a pan will be processed from a location of my chosing.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10446 times
    Prospecting
    Got it! I have a friend that helps people test claims, he'll even do it on your behalf. I've gone out with him numerous times on claim tests and I can tell you 9 of 10 are crap for gold. You really have to be careful! Best way is probably to stake your own, not buy one. That said, I also know a legit broker who will encourage you to test before buying. ...no compensation to me from either of these guys other than being allowed on their claims btw.
    Jimmydolittle likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links