Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The blue daypack has seen better days and looking for a replacement
Redpack ( Mountain Smith ) went to Bolivia with me and that was a hugh mistake mounts to tall for the bush was getting hung up. but enjoy using locally for exploring new off the beaten path areas ifn i plan to spend more then a day out in the woods
and then the yellow pack, fav, been with me a long time, use daily, well almost. was used mostly for hauling the dredge in to the claims, faster and kept my hands free

so like to know what you all use for a day pack, get some ideas

Attachments

• DSCN0161.JPG
    DSCN0161.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 146
Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
That's an easy one for me. The LARGE A.L.I.C.E. pack that can be had from an Army surplus store or even E-bay. Lots of room, low profile for trucking through brush and a good solid external frame. I've lived out of them for weeks at a time while in the Army and I feel they offer the best bang for the buck. They also have plenty of external mounting points for canteens, ammo/firstaid pouches (which make great holders for small items) and even an entrenching tool for digging.

They're also easy to waterproof so your stuff stays dry in those pesky pop up rain storms. Just remember that when you load them up to keep the heavier items low in the pack and as close to the frame as possible. Makes them much easier on your back and shoulders.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For 30 years I've used a trapper's basket/pack The only problem is you can put too much stuff in them

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What about MOLLE packs?

I found this nice video comparing the A.L.I.C.E and the MOLLE packs.

As for what I use, right now all I have is my JanSport hiking backpack.
It is frameless but has a camel pack.

Its alright for my sniping trips and shorter trips, but it is not enough for longer hikes or camping in for a couple days.
It is pretty much a light equipment pack with a lifetime warranty.

Last edited:

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We both have REI brand internal frame packs. I use a women's Crestrail and Mr. Gilded uses, I think, a Mars pack. The Mars was discontinued it seems as I can't find it anymore.

This is the men's Crestrail:

I grew up with external packs, but I really love my internal. The hip belt even pivots to your walking and it moves with you. Pockets galore! Everything is adjustable and they have little special features like built in emergency whistles and hydration pack compatibility. The hydration pack slots alone are worth upgrading as I find myself drinking a lot more water not having to walk and spill or stop to drink out of a Nalgene.

Daypack wise I LOVE my little REI Flash 15 and Flash 22packs. They are GREAT!!

They still have a few external packs too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2cmorau

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great info, I have used the ALICE pack, but was the older versions and most uncomfortable when loaded , looking at the new ones though see a lot of improvements.
Will need to look into the ALICE and MOLLE. like the straps, outside pockets, looks like they would be sweet on the back while detecting or smpling, will not shift when ya pick up that nugget. No zippers Good
the large internal frame pack, is sweet, load that puppy up, most comfortable, enjoy my Mountain Smith, heavy duty zippers unlike the others that I experienced have small teeth zippers and fail all the time
here is my little work horse

Attachments

• DSCN0171.JPG
    DSCN0171.JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 87

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
We both have REI brand internal frame packs. I use a women's Crestrail and Mr. Gilded uses, I think, a Mars pack. The Mars was discontinued it seems as I can't find it anymore.

This is the men's Crestrail:

I grew up with external packs, but I really love my internal. The hip belt even pivots to your walking and it moves with you. Pockets galore! Everything is adjustable and they have little special features like built in emergency whistles and hydration pack compatibility. The hydration pack slots alone are worth upgrading as I find myself drinking a lot more water not having to walk and spill or stop to drink out of a Nalgene.

Daypack wise I LOVE my little REI Flash 15 and Flash 22packs. They are GREAT!!

They still have a few external packs too.

My son jboy uses one the same as these, he caries all our climbing gear in it, weighs in at around 45 lbs, carries the dadgum thing everywhere even if its not needed, i just shake my head.
we also use the alice pack with ore bags and two buckets in hand, we have a bigger style military pack that we use to carry out ore, they fit a 5 gal bucket perfect and we carry one bucket in each hand.

I just carry a patrol pack on me for my daily and prospect trips has in it, aid kit, my food, camera beehoods, leatherman, plus a very sharp leatherman knife never used, pack goes with me everywhere no matter how far from the rigg i am.

My hound also carries a pack when she not lazy, she doesnt care to be a pack mule, its actually very comical situation when she has her boots and pack on for the first 5 minutes or so.

Best choice for mining is alice best on weight miner approved.
GT...........................

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
[h=2]Bucket Backpack for Gold Hunters[/h] Since bucket backpacks are so hard to find online, one creative gold prospector made her own by attaching backpack straps to a fisherman’s bucket caddy. She calls her invention “Gold Tote” because she literally uses it in her quest for gold.
home-made-bucket-backpack.jpg

Sluice Box

Jan 1, 2012
The cold north
Detector(s) used
ACE 150, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used an A.L.I.C.E. pack every time I was out and about in the military, and still continue to use it. Might look small, but it does the job above the standard in my opinion. I should also throw in that I have so many damn carabiners on my pack making things way more accessible and easier to repack as well! So I would advise everyone to invest in some!

Sluice

Last edited:

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been using my old "High Country" aluminum-framed overnight pack on recent excursions. It fit's all my tools so I only had to carry my classifier screen in to the site. We converted a three-wheeled Jeep stroller to carry our heavy tools and two sluice boxes.

126_4487.JPG

57chevy

Oct 4, 2014
The West
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 D Looking to find enough to replace it.
Replaced it with a Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=2]Bucket Backpack for Gold Hunters[/h] Since bucket backpacks are so hard to find online, one creative gold prospector made her own by attaching backpack straps to a fisherman’s bucket caddy. She calls her invention “Gold Tote” because she literally uses it in her quest for gold.
home-made-bucket-backpack.jpg

I had something similar years ago but it got lost somehow. A bucket works well and you don't have to worry about poking holes in it with rocks and equipment. I have since found this site. I bought one and installed one of those gamma lids on the bucket for easy access. Products | Five Gallon Pack

57chevy

Oct 4, 2014
The West
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 D Looking to find enough to replace it.
Replaced it with a Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a six gallon bucket for mine only because I haven't been able to find a 7gallen bucket yet.

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Both of the packs I use are a fair amount of money because I bought them with backpack moose/bear hunting in mind. When you are looking at making 6-8 trips of multiple miles in either muskeg or mountains with 80-100# you don't scrimp. Sometimes I use a standard style pack frame from Barney's Sports Chalet in Anchorage. They have them custom made to their specs & they run almost $350 for just the frame. Spendy but worth it for comfort & durability. What 90% of the guides up here use for hauling moose & for hauling big brown bear hides (loads that can easily go 120-150#).
The other is a pack from Kifaru. I use the Highcamp 7000 bag on the Duplex frame. About $600. and worth every penny to me. I also have their "Cargo Panel" for that frame ($140) that allows you to stick just about any load on their you might want no matter how awkward.
Hunting Packs
Hands down my favorite backpacking pack as long as loads stay under 100#(after that it's the Barneys), whether just sight seeing, hunting, or prospecting. I also generally use it for my daypack because it compresses from 7000ci to daypack size easily, & going the places I go I always have everything I need to spend a "comfortable" night whether I intend to or not.
Not for everybody at those prices, but they serve me well on many different fields. On top of that the quality is definitely at the "Buy once cry once" level.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread