A Hidden Gold Mine In Florence, Idaho

IdahoGoldGettR

Mar 13, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you were to ask some people from Idaho if they know about the history of Florence or its whereabouts, 9 out of 10 Idahoans would simply say nope, never heard of the town. However if you were a miner working the gold fields back in the mid 1800's, you may have heard the discovery of gold in Florence as it was a big deal. Though there is only one California "gold rush," the likes of Florence had all the makings of a similar one but on a smaller scale. Though this mini gold rush didn't last long, those miners that did participate, found more riches than the equivalent to any ventured elsewhere. Discovered in 1861, the draw to this little area began with a small party of 50 men and grew to 9,000 by the following year. Like any typical gold bearing township, it had its gambling saloons, a saw mill, and a "dance hall" that sported otherwise. All the makings of a lawless town. It was the wild west.

A transcript to this event written by P.W. Gillette on June 15, 1962 are as follows:

"The town is alive with people today (Sunday).... The saloons are full of people. Many are gambling, hundreds drinking, while some are simply idling away the time and listening the alluring chink of coin on the gaming tables... There is no law here, or none that sees, abates, ******s or punishes crime. Scarcely a day passes that someone is not killed or wounded."

Alonzo F. Brown also wrote:

"Men have a habit of getting drunk at the saloons shooting into stores and tents as they went by. I slept in the store on the floor, and to protect myself from the stray bullets fired by drunken men I piled up a stack of flour as wide as my bed and about four feet high and made down my bed behind the flour. The town was filled with the worst element of the Pacific Coast, and thieves, and gamblers from the East."
I give you the following that backs up such a statement.

Florence1.jpg Florence2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
350,000 oz out of a stream 3/4 of a mile long, 3' wide & 8" of gravel to bedrock? Boy would I love to find something like that!
I'll bet even the Hoffman's could have made money there!
If my math is right (I wouldn't bet on it) that's almost 10oz to the cubic yard!

Last edited:

RANGER31

Mar 3, 2011
lousisiana
Detector(s) used
whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know this area very well.i use to live in Grangeville Idaho use to go to Florence all the time. the area still has some very rich areas up there if u know were to look. me and my son camped up there for over a month down on a little creek and this creek had some really nice color in it. we used a high banker and i used a whites gold master medal detector. we got a lot of nice gold out that creek and to this day i still go up to the area and still pull gold out when i head out on vacation time. what is nice nobody has yet found my little secret of a honey hole.

another area that has some really good gold is the buffalo hump area way up on top in the alpine area there is a creek that is really good for panning and high banking one day i will get a dredge up there.

any ways good hunting and hope u find that golden creek.

Ranger31

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a guy on the internet selling a lot of claims in the Florence area. Is this you? Or do you know him? I'm just suspicious as to why Florence came to light here. Heck I wouldn't think anything if I saw a Charter member sign here :)
Gold mine for sale, mineral property, gold claims for sale

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Reed
Travis is out of Riggins. His dad has some connection with Alan Trees from Gold Dredge Builders, also out of Riggins.
He's had these Florence claims up for sale for quite a while now and will probably hold them longer due to their steep price.

I believe Florence came to light because IdahoGoldGettR has a lot of historical info about that mining district and others that he sought to share. Definately not the same guy:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
IdahoGoldGettR

IdahoGoldGettR

Mar 13, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I believe Florence came to light because IdahoGoldGettR has a lot of historical info about that mining district and others that he sought to share. Definately not the same guy
Yep, definitely not me. Thanks for clarifying that for me Bob. I heard that someone did purchase a lot of claims up there,,, now I know who. Though I am not keen on individuals who purchase gold bearing areas not to be worked by them but just to re-sell, I will give him credit for taking some nice photos of the area. Thanks for providing the website Reed.

itspaidfor

Feb 18, 2015
LeClaire,Ia
Primary Interest:
Other
Boy they look nice! Think they are legit?

Yep, definitely not me. Thanks for clarifying that for me Bob. I heard that someone did purchase a lot of claims up there,,, now I know who. Though I am not keen on individuals who purchase gold bearing areas not to be worked by them but just to re-sell, I will give him credit for taking some nice photos of the area. Thanks for providing the website Reed.

These claims look good, Opinions?

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
These claims look good, Opinions?
Like many here have stated... don't even think about buying a claim until you've determined all the paperwork is legit, and you've sampled the living hell out of it. Of course if you like to throw your money away, feel free to PM me and I'll send you my address. :thumbsup:

itspaidfor

Feb 18, 2015
LeClaire,Ia
Primary Interest:
Other
Like many here have stated... don't even think about buying a claim until you've determined all the paperwork is legit, and you've sampled the living hell out of it. Of course if you like to throw your money away, feel free to PM me and I'll send you my address. :thumbsup:

Been around the horn a few times just thought it might be worth looking at for someone lots of good gold in idaho.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread