Exploring and prospecting the LSD area for gold... a fun time was had by all

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out to the LSD area Friday for a day of prospecting. I’ve had my eye on some areas I wanted to sample and explore. Got out there and realized I didn’t have my “bushwackers” with me, so that kinda put the kabosh on doing any sampling work, as I like to be able to ride the Rokon up the narrow gullies and washes without getting too shredded by the native flora. No biggie... that left the rest of the day to do some major exploring.

Just for the heck of it, I thought I’d take the LSD all the way to where it ends. I thought this river/wash/gully was suppose to be the holy grail for gold? Once I got past all the claim markers, it was like I was riding in virgin territory. Didn’t see any activity at all except for a few dirt bike tracks. Oh well... guess I’ll have to come back and do some more exploring. There’s some areas of the upper LSD and its tributaries that look prime for drywashing. Whether there’s any gold there remains a mystery. I guess we’ll just have to find out.

Enjoy the video... make sure to watch it in HD for the cool scenery.
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you have a little back pack drywasher?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You really aren't going to find much gold above the dike swarm there azblackbird. The hardrock mines up there were mining other minerals, mostly lithium from the pegmatites.

The gold bearing gravels bear northeast in two forks out of the Little San Domingo wash just about at the patented land with the old dam and the "No GPAA" sign. There is a portion stranded on the Vulture Bait but it's not where you would expect it to be. :dontknow:

Follow those gravels and you will have some luck. They end up mostly on State land but there is a portion that crosses BLM. Last time I looked, about 4 weeks ago, some of that part was unclaimed. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
azblackbird

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You really aren't going to find much gold above the dike swarm there azblackbird. The hardrock mines up there were mining other minerals, mostly lithium from the pegmatites.
The main areas I'm really interested in prospecting are the upper drainage systems for the Iona and Trilby washes. I thought I'd check out what all the hoopla was all about for the LSD proper and follow it all the way back. Only saw a few spots that looked interesting. You're right about not all the mines in the area being strictly gold oriented. Lot's of mica and even uranium were mined in the area. There really aren't that many gold mines in the LSD area.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The main areas I'm really interested in prospecting are the upper drainage systems for the Iona and Trilby washes. I thought I'd check out what all the hoopla was all about for the LSD proper and follow it all the way back. Only saw a few spots that looked interesting. You're right about not all the mines in the area being strictly gold oriented. Lot's of mica and even uranium were mined in the area. There really aren't that many gold mines in the LSD area.

Part of that hoopla is based on the fact that Iona and Little San Domingo join when Iona has large floods. A lot of the LSD legend is probably based on Iona gold. :laughing7:

Drilling revealed that LSD west of hwy 60 has twice the gold of the areas you see all those old guys with ATVs pounding year after year. Max LSD depth to bedrock is 16 foot at the mouth. :thumbsup:

Trilby is a much bigger system than LSD. Whole different story there. I'm glad to see you are doing your research. Getting out is good but researching and working smart will get you those unworked patches you will never find in the LSD.

Heavy Pans

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Enjoyed your video.

It took me back to my desert gold hunting experiences.

Thanks for posting it.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
azblackbird

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Enjoyed your video. It took me back to my desert gold hunting experiences.
Thanks Lanny... what you write is pure gold. The hard drive in my head is full of tidbits that I pick up here and there from reading your many knowledgeable posts... same goes for Barry (Clay Diggins). :thumbsup:

OP
OP
azblackbird

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WOW AZ that was great to tag-a-long with you this morning! it was great to just to get out ! Im suprized that you forgot your chaps!
I've got a pair of chaps, but when out prospecting they're just too hot and cumbersome to wear. I do a pretty good job of dodging all the thorny stuff. I wear knee/shin guards, heavy long sleeved shirt, heavy pants, boots, and a light helmet, so I don't get too thrashed when I'm out exploring. If there's something in my way, I usually carry my "bushwhackers" with me, so I'll just cut or chop it down if it becomes too much of a problem. :thumbsup:

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a cool video. I used to have two 40 acre placer claims in that area.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Love the desert, wish we were closer to it. Not knowing your area, are those washes your following seasonal streams or old dried up stream beds

OP
OP
azblackbird

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not knowing your area, are those washes your following seasonal streams or old dried up stream beds
For the most part they stay dry year round unless there's one heck of a storm cell in the area, then they'll flow for a few hours and stir things up a bit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread