boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again we've screwed things up. Anyone else notice over the years, every time we try to preserve this, save that, change this habitat ect. etc. it always goes bad? Where mother nature is just left alone, it may take awhile but the outcome is always better. You Californians see this more than other states. How many times have they improved rivers and other waterways and it's applauded until the rains come. They should pass a law to prevent humans from interfering with the normal cycle of things.

OP
OP
H

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem has been created by 1,000s of massive cartel grows. They kill and eat every creature of the earth no matter what time of year. Ungodly massive piles of dead critters ALWAYS that stink for miles. No deer 'cause they've been decimated in any area near these grows and cats gotta eat so off they go. Cleaned out all the stray ferrel cats,dogs,and coyotes here in Redding around my place. John

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Concealed carry permit freshly renewed last month, I dont always carry only when feel it may be necessary. Im sure as hell not wearing headphones while detecting this trip but then the darn gb2 is squealing like a dying calf... Ive had a bear spook me once while detecting and I suspect it was the detector noise that made him curious as it sure didnt scare him away. That time I was un armed and scarred as hell but once he saw that it was me and not another animal he bolted, he was only about 20 ft down stream when it happened.

Drop a piece of iron on the ground and turn her up as loud as it goes, nothing with legs can tolerate that noise!

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
Weapons of choice?

This is one of the reason I had Flowmaster 40's put on my Jeep Grand Cherokee's Exhaust system with the big V8. When I drop down into this narrow canyon and punch it while in 1st gear the Cats,Deer and whatever other critters are there go running up the side's as fast as they can. When I get to my spot I back the Cherokee into place so I can gun it again full throttle to make sure the cats got the message.
I was wondering how effective a largish pistol loaded with shot would be as a deterrent? Lot's easier to carry than say a 12 or 20 ga. shotgun but far as guns go I am ignorant. Just trying to figure out ways to avoid the Kali F&G from doing a kill.

Last edited:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I'm to understand , any lion that preys on livestock ,pets,etc. is no longer to be destroyed. It is instead tranked and relocated. How nice

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I'm to understand , any lion that preys on livestock ,pets,etc. is no longer to be destroyed. It is instead tranked and relocated. How nice
Isn't it? Got too many in my neighborhood, so We'll just move em to your neighborhood. Lessee how that works! Oops! too many poodles disappearing, let's move em over here to their neighborhood. Anyone remember in Irvine Calif when they had huge problems with the coyotes? Nobody took the time to realize that they had built completely around a "wild area" leaving the wildlife surrounded. Yup you guessed it! Fluffy the poodle disappeared, all the yard plants disappeared eaten by the hundreds of rabbits. BUT! they had their cool houses until the rains & santanas messed everything up. You'd think we'd learn............

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of the reason I had Flowmaster 40's put on my Jeep Grand Cherokee's Exhaust system with the big V8. When I drop down into this narrow canyon and punch it while in 1st gear the Cats,Deer and whatever other critters are there go running up the side's as fast as they can. When I get to my spot I back the Cherokee into place so I can gun it again full throttle to make sure the cats got the message.
I was wondering how effective a largish pistol loaded with shot would be as a deterrent? Lot's easier to carry than say a 12 or 20 ga. shotgun but far as guns go I am ignorant. Just trying to figure out ways to avoid the Kali F&G from doing a kill.

Having a firearm will save your life, we have a ranch and my daughters play outside and if I see a cat near the house I can catch it first and hopefully take care of it as we dont have livestock its an apple ranch and the deer and bear come to feed and we dont mind much but the cats eat the deer.. If im not on the property and I see one close enough in the right situation while on foot hopefully I can just scare them away with a warning round but I will protect myself if necessary. Id rather not take its life, but once there set in there ways with a spot its becomes a huge safety concern..

Most hand guns will stop a cat if you are able to hit it in a good location, I myself carry a .357mag and am pretty sure it will do the job:icon_thumright:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From what I'm to understand , any lion that preys on livestock ,pets,etc. is no
longer to be destroyed. It is instead tranked and relocated. How nice

Relocated where? The territories are all spoken for!

I would have to see that one in print, as you have the right to
protect your livestock (livelihood), pets and other humans.

Asmbandits: Deer are their natural prey, so why not let the cat
eat one now and then? (Sorry...but that's their job..lol).

As for the bear, did you know Black Bear are the #1 predator
when it comes to deer fawns and elk calves?

If you have to stop a cougar with a handgun, think of "SHOULDER".
That will stop them, and then immediately follow it up with a couple head
shots, but in all cases shoot it until it is dead. There is never a need for an
animal to suffer needlessly.

Before Calif. passed that Initiative, we told Calif. Dept. of F&W that this was
a bad deal for all concerned. By that I mean we told them until we were all
blue in the face, and all but locked out of any meetings. I was involved with
the Calif. State Varmint Callers Assn. at the time, and they treated us like a
bunch of bloodthirsty killers...hell, we didn't even hunt cougar!

Actually, we were wrong, as we told them it would take 20 years
to get to this point; it's taken almost 30. Still, people are going
to be harmed, or killed, and countless cougar will have to suffer
because of their "bunny hugger" mentality.

Once again, it's "Preservation" instead of "Conservation".

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Asmbandits: Deer are their natural prey, so why not let the cat
eat one now and then? (Sorry...but that's their job..lol).

? I dont control if they eat deer or not, sure they eat deer good for them. Im saying that the deer are attracted to the apples, in turn it draws the cats onto the property and that's not good especially with small children around.

So we did 120 miles on the bikes yesterday, started in Georgetown and rode out to Volcanoville to do some detecting then up to Wentowrth springs and pushed up the Rubicon some then back to bald mountain ohv area then spent the last hour at the claim sampling a few spots.. No cat sightings or run ins!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was getting gas in Lotus(Coloma) yesterday some bikers...(sons of Armstrong not Sons of Anarchy:laughing7:) said there was a wounded lion that had been hit by a car...VERY RARE!!!! We drove up Prospector rd where they saw it but, we didn't see it. they said they called F&W don't know if it dragged itself off to die or not.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was getting gas in Lotus(Coloma) yesterday some bikers...(sons of Armstrong not Sons of Anarchy:laughing7:) said there was a wounded lion that had been hit by a car...VERY RARE!!!! We drove up Prospector rd where they saw it but, we didn't see it. they said they called F&W don't know if it dragged itself off to die or not.

I wasn't far from you we drove through coloma on the way back, I did see a lot of motorcycles out, it was a perfect day for riding! Yeah cat roadkill is super rare it really shows you how many there are and that they arnt where they should be. It was all I could think about while detecting, we actually spent more time riding than prospecting this trip and when I was on the claim I kept getting this feeling I was being watched.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is an excerpt from American Hunter Feb 1996. They are talking about Calif lion attacks. Prop 117 to be exact.

Here are a list of attacks
March 1986 4 year old Laura Small was attacked in Caspers State Park while huntign tadpoles with her mother. The lion left Laura blind in one eye, partially paralized and physically and emotionally scarred.
October 1986 6 year old Justin Mellon was attcked in the same park and suffered minor injuries
March 1992 9 year old Darron Arroyo was attacked in Gaviota State park. He suffered more than 50 puncture wounds and required some 600 stitches.
Sept 1993 10 year old Lisa Kowalski was attacked in Cuyama state park
April 1994 Barbara Schoener ,40, was killed while jogging Auburn State Recreation Area
August 1994 a rabid lion attacked a couple in their 50's in Mendecino County
December 1994 A lion killed Iris Kenna, 56 while she walked alone in Cuyama State Park
March 1995 Scott Fike 27 suffered minor injuries when he used his bycicle to fend off an attacking lion in th eSan Gabriel mountains.

Damned dangerous environment the people have created in Calif in regards to the lions.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A whole lot of worry for nothing... More people die from lightning then Mountain Lions. More idiots killin folks with guns then wildlife killen people in the world.. Bee stings .. Dogs.. They kill more people on average.. A whole list of other things. Truth is people are to stupid to know what to actually prepare for.. Or even be afraid of... But most these people have guns to keep them safe? lucky for them ....Unlucky for all others god creatures! To bad Common Sense aint contagious..

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I took this photo two weeks ago at work. This lady was walking her dog along a walk path. I happen to be out talking on my cellphone standing outside of my truck. I had just seconds to snap the photo and take action. The lion was so fixed on the dog he did not see me until I hit the panic button on my alarm. No telling what would have happen.

Lion 1.jpg

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OYE! That's one healthy looking kitty! (almost looks like a mount)

Also appears to have radar lock on that dog..trouble in the making.

Good thing you were close by or that could have gotten ugly.

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a lion takes livestock or is becoming too present/bold in an area you can call the Dept. of Fish and Game and pull a depredation permit. They may try to trank and move it but I believe that it is your right to shoot it if it has been observed and reported. You just have to be aware of what is going on in the shadows around your homestead.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mike we see bobcats all the time and occasionally a lion around the golf course in early morning. They feed on the rabbits of which are feeding on the grass on the golf course. I had walked down into the courtyard recently and a bobcat was laying on a table near the pool. The biggest problem are guest who are leaving food on trays outside. Years ago I came face to face with a lion. He was not frighten by me but I sure was frighten of him. Been seeing a big Mule Deer hanging around eating in a flower garden. Problem with him is everyone see's him due to the main road traffic and where he's feeding. Some (Me) bow hunter is going to pop him next season if he is still around and if I can draw the bow back. My luck the buck will run onto the golf course and die.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A whole lot of worry for nothing... More people die from lightning then Mountain Lions. More idiots killin folks with guns then wildlife killen people in the world.. Bee stings .. Dogs.. They kill more people on average.. A whole list of other things. Truth is people are to stupid to know what to actually prepare for.. Or even be afraid of... But most these people have guns to keep them safe? lucky for them ....Unlucky for all others god creatures! To bad Common Sense aint contagious..

There gods creatures un till you loose you life or your childs to one. Comparing it to lightning is imo inaccurate as its an odds game with these cats, when you put yourself in their environment constantly, bending over looking at the water constantly, have livestock or children and live somewhere that a lion has claimed as its habitat your odds double or triple of having a run in with one.. If your not worried about them while in any of these situations thats on you, but imo that is more idiotic than protecting yourself from the possibility of an attack. I love animals, ive never killed anything that wasnt justified be it game or for protection. Just because one protects himself doesn't mean they shouldn't be labeled as a whako with a gun out to kill animals..

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We can hunt them here. And if you venture a few miles inland it is nothing but forest, so they have plenty of room to roam. We have had a few get close they only do it once. You hunt them they stay away from people, they seem to know.
getting a picture of a big cat around here is rare. You guys in cali...seems they just walk right up close!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread