Calsluice 2b

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone seen this new sluice. it's pretty cool. it's an undercut sluice. screen on top where you put the material then it slides down the screen and goes into deep V mat and after that is a couple riffles. it looks like a good sluice. pricey but not to bad. I wounder how well it holds onto fines.
the top runner 2 definitely has it beet in price. but same idea generally. just the calsluice is longer and has riffles at the end

Upvote 0

JayeLK

Greenie
Feb 15, 2005
CalSluice #2B Setup

Skiddum,

Disclosure, I know the gentleman that builds these, so I'm not exactly un-biased, but I've had a CalSluice since 09, and it is a big part of my gold catching. Every sluice has its purpose; the CalSluice is really a production sluice and not meant for sampling or lazy afternoons sipping brew and spooning pre-screened buckets.

It needs a lot of water to run properly. The biggest complaint I've heard is people not putting enough water through it and saying they have to clear it manually or the underflow packs. There are a couple of videos on their web site, etc. that might help in setting it up, but here are a few hints:

Water level on the entry about 1/2 the way over (or down) the little side flares,
Water level at exit covering the latch rivets up to about halfway to the bottom of the riffle tray support,
About 2-2.5 inches of drop along the length,
Look for the "V" in the sluice's water, forming on top of the grizzly, coming to a point just between the first and second riffles in the riffle tray,
Keep the front restrictor to the underflow clear of debis,
Gravel will clear in about 4-5 seconds per shovel,
Shovel until you can't move any more.

For best results, build a little low current "pond" in front of it and basically use the sluice as a spillway. This gives you much better control over the water. If you think it is running too fast, flatten the angle a little, don't cut the water to it.

People who are used to spooning material into other sluices get nervous that they are blowing out everything. I've done several tests with re-running tailings, panning tailings, or adding extensions to the back. The most I ever found was a couple smallish, ~20 thousands across, specks out of a 1-1.5 gram take in a 6-7 hours of running and no intermediate clean-up.

No sluice will catch everything, but it will catch gold you can barely recognize as gold with 10x magnification, and, anyway, would you rather catch 90% of two yards or 95% of a 15 half buckets?

Here's a picture of some goodies caught with a CalSluice. Notice some of the tiny ones next to the dime!
140524; 3.917g 5'deep.JPG

or this day of mostly fine gold:
IMG_4293.JPG

or the day I caught a diamond (0.48ct) lost from sombody's jewelry (loose), which is no mean feat for a river sluice set up to catch gold:
IMG_4276c.JPG

MORE DIRT! It will handle, easily, 10 heaping shovels a minute, which is maybe 60-70 full 5 gal buckets an hour, or about 2 cu yd per hour. That's a lot of material in a day's work, if you can keep up with it.

JayeLK

OP
OP
S

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME........... I'm used to using a keene a51a. and been using a Bazooka lately. so it's a huge difference. this is gonna be somewhere in between either fast and steep/ bazooka or slowish and flat/keene. But I can't wait. thanks so much for the information. itll help allot. I CAN'T WAIT.Just wait tell I show the wife lol she's going to be jumping to get it

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME........... I'm used to using a keene a51a. and been using a Bazooka lately. so it's a huge difference. this is gonna be somewhere in between either fast and steep/ bazooka or slowish and flat/keene. But I can't wait. thanks so much for the information. itll help allot. I CAN'T WAIT.Just wait tell I show the wife lol she's going to be jumping to get it

The 2B is a fine looking sluice based on the Top Runner 3 but with some good looking improvements. I do really like this style of design... hehe. Maybe they'll give me one for a test being that I helped design it more or less by encouraging Andy and helping him see the right direction that his Top Runner² ended up taking. I spent lots of time designing this with him in the open forum on the 49erMike page.

It's definitely 10 times better then the sidewhiner gimmick sluice. I actually looked at their sidewhinder videos for a few minutes today and watched them spoon feed everything and they said everything needed to be classified to 1/8"... They deleted the other post on that other forum but I guess I upset the owner of sidewinder by telling her the way that I see it.... Sitting tilted over in the corner of Sideways Dave's garage being used as a sidewalking litter box for his 3 legged cat :evil6:

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1129070

Here is my carry set up. I run 2 pack frames I carry one and one of my sons carries the other

Scoy- Advice from a former allstar pack mule who was forced to get smart after back surgery. Ditch the chairs and big buckets. Use smaller buckets like what chlorine comes in, 3 gal. I think they are. or better yet the 2 1/2's are awesome because a stack will fit inside most packs. Better to carry a bucket in each hand for balance and weight distribution than lugging around one big one - which is an excellent way to herniate a disk. Chairs- get a garden kneeling pad, they are light and have a multitude of uses- seating pad, kneeling pad, pillow for post lunch siesta. Lastly lower your center of gravity- a high pack puts an incredible amount of torque and leverage on your spine. Enjoy

OP
OP
S

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't wait to use the 2b. this sluice looks amazing. yeah I got kicked off that site haha for something stupid for sure. I'm better off

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't wait to use the 2b. this sluice looks amazing. yeah I got kicked off that site haha for something stupid for sure. I'm better off

I never saw what was said, it was done and disappeared when I went to check it in the morning. I figured it was the sidewhinders responding again telling me how I don't know anything about gold mining... again cause I don't like their sluice. So the last post I saw was mine...

OP
OP
S

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah I seen 1 of there post and had to work so I wasn't paying attention to the site for a couple days. them I checked my emails and there was like 6 different post. clicked on it and it sent me to another area. he 1 guy contacted me sarong he deleted it. I let out a little frustration because i tried to avoid that. and thanked him b for deleting it. then I went to check the rest of my post and it kicked me out saying I had been suspended. when I asked why they said I wouldn't let sleeping dogs lye. witch is bogus. but whatever. I'm done wit it

OP
OP
S

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I'd go with what he was suggesting. the garden knee pad. just cause of the weight. the chairs are goofy and bring allot of weight to your shoulders. if you hicking a short distance then it's ok. but if your going weight out there 2 or more miles then you want the most weight on the hips. I made this mistake allot when I first started hicking. we went with a group from OutnBack. and the Group leader at the end of the day came up to me because I was having problems with my back. he asked to go through my bag and I let him. he completely reorganized it for me. I had all my canned foods up on top and some other some cooking gear. I figured I could get to it whenever o wanted that way. but it was what was killing me. he recommended I come back to the shop after and he'd set me up a good bag for a decent price. the rest of the trip went rather nicely. after the bag he got me has an opening on top and on bottom. so I can still get to my food and such. I like it. but I won't use it for this kinda stuff. I was thinking about getting 2 Alice bags and frames. so I can carry the sluice and such on 1 frame and the wife can carry the bag with food and tools on the other. but anyways yeah.I will be caring a small kids folding chair but that's only when I carry the grizzly 3. it makes a great stand for it

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never saw what was said, it was done and disappeared when I went to check it in the morning. I figured it was the sidewhinders responding again telling me how I don't know anything about gold mining... again cause I don't like their sluice. So the last post I saw was mine...
Yeah Reed, you don't know a damn thing. About anything ! Specially building dredges and the function of sluices.I know you come from at least 4 generations of miners and are highly respected. The new technique of salesmanship of attacking someone because they don't agree with you or your product is ridiculous. A good product will sell itself without the slander. Rod

OP
OP
S

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Reed, you don't know a damn thing. About anything ! Specially building dredges and the function of sluices.I know you come from at least 4 generations of miners and are highly respected. The new technique of salesmanship of attacking someone because they don't agree with you or your product is ridiculous. A good product will sell itself without the slander. Rod

Please don't start on my post I've been kicked off another SITE Because Of stuff just like this. if you want to say something to another person directly then send them a message. dont do it on a post

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skiddum the first 2 sentences were complete sarcasm !

OP
OP
S

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
K cool cool. I don't agree with the way others attack there competition either. the grizzly 3 is 1 of my favorite sluices. I honestly think between the grizzly 3, the bazookas and the calsluice I'll never need another sluice out there.

and the worst thing about these types of sites is people say things that aren't ment to sound bad or anything but the way there taken iscompletely different than what they where intended to be. so sorry if I miss understood

scoy

Aug 25, 2014
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am new in the gold hobby. However I have years and years experience back packing, camping etc.... My frames have belly bands and all the weight is carried on the hips, not the shoulders. I dont think I agree that the chairs are goofy, to each his own!!

OP
OP
S

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess if you had them set up right then it wouldn't be so bad. and you have that wood plate to hold everything right at the hips. is that an ALICE frame. I'm thinking about getting 2 for me and the wife. what I ment buy goofy is they move around allot.but if the fabric part was on the bottom and they where strapped down tight tight it wouldn't be a problem. besides, Calsluice 14 pounds, bucket maybe a pound. good shovel 3 pounds, Pick and crevice tools 5 pounds depending, and food and water 5 to 10 pounds. 33 pounds all in all. not bad not bad at all

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread